INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping cd to Flac, not getting songs in right order  (Read 5050 times)

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
Ripping cd to Flac, not getting songs in right order
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:43:59 am »

When I rip a cd it gets into a folder I chosen. I rip in flac. When I play that folder, it will play in alphabetic order, not in  the order of the cd. ?
When I rip many cd's, J river starts to rip the last track on the cd up to the first. When I save into my Music, I can change that in the organiser, but when I copy the folder to my Cowon C 2 Mp 3 player, it will be alphabetic order again.

I understand more or less why this happens. When J river rips the cd into the folder, it not put the order nr. So then it is saved automatically in alphabetic order. I have another way to rip tha tis with free cde river. When this tool rips the cd, it will nr the output, so the order will be the same as on the disc. Can this be done with J river, because maybe it is an impression, but I found the Flac file, more powerful tehn on the Free converter tool.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Ripping cd to Flac, not getting songs in right order
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:39 am »

You can accomplish that by making a 'File Name rule'.
On the menu bar choose Tools, Options, File Location, Audio section - create your preferred file naming rule in there. Mine is:
Folder rule: [Artist]\[Album]
Filename rule: [Track #] - [Name]
That way the flac files will be stored on disk in the correct order.

And you can maintain a 'tag' in the flac file called 'Track #', telling it which track number it has on the album.

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:10:09 am »

Thank you for pointing that out. I will try it. I do not understand much about tagging, but see if I can improve.

EDIT, Yes this works, but I not manage to put automatic files -albums I ripped already in straight order.... Have to rename them song by song....

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:51:16 pm »

When I rip a cd it gets into a folder I chosen. I rip in flac. When I play that folder, it will play in alphabetic order, not in  the order of the cd. ?
 When J river rips the cd into the folder, it not put the order nr. So then it is saved automatically in alphabetic order. I have another way to rip tha tis with free cde river. When this tool rips the cd, it will nr the output, so the order will be the same as on the disc. Can this be done with J river, because maybe it is an impression, but I found the Flac file, more powerful tehn on the Free converter tool.

There are several different ideas to understand.

- As mbagge explained, you can specify where your ripped files are stored and how the file names are constructed.  This may or may not matter in determining the order in which the individual tracks in an album are played.

- In general, files are played in the order listed in the MC window (If none are selected, all files listed will be played.  If some files are selected, only those files will be played.)

- If you are using the Devices&Driver / Explorer view to navigate to a folder on your hard drive and then to play all the track (files) in that folder, files are displayed in order by filename.

- If you using an Audio view such as Artist/Album, your files are listed in an order set for that view.  Normally database fields (tag values set when you ripped the files or later) are the basis for the sort order.  You can see the sort order above the list of files in the column headings area.  The fields (tags) used for sorting will have an up arrow to the right of the field name.  The number beside the the arrow indicates the order in which files are used in sorting the files.  In my Artist/Album View, the Artist field is most important (up arrow ...), then the Album field (up arrow 2) and finally the (track) name field (up arrow 3).

You can change the sort order in a View by clicking on the field names in reverse order from the order of importance they will have in sorting.  For example, to establish the Artist/Album/Name order, you would click on Name, then Album and then Artist.

I have another way to rip that is with free cde river. When this tool rips the cd, it will nr the output, so the order will be the same as on the disc. Can this be done with J river, because maybe it is an impression, but I found the Flac file, more powerful tehn on the Free converter tool.

I think that when you understand how MC sorts and plays files, you will be fine ripping CDs with MC.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up