INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Column Field (Playlist Missing)  (Read 1500 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Column Field (Playlist Missing)
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:58 pm »

The playlist field is the only field as far as I know that doesn't show up as an option for a column... I've tried to make a custom column expression to make it appear, it didn't work : ( Is there anyway to do this?? I thought it would be nice to be able to pane tag playlists.... It would make it faster that having to use the tagging pane to the left or right clicking the file and using send to..

Thanks

rick.ca

Re: Column Field (Playlist Missing)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:16:54 am »

The playlist field is the only field as far as I know that doesn't show up as an option for a column...

I'm going to guess you mean "pane" rather than "column," because you can select "Playlists" as a column in a view. But it's not really a field, so it won't behave as you might expect it should. It will only display the playlists a file is a member of. To change the playlists a file is a member of, use the tagging window. "Editing" the Playlist "field" there opens a window listing playlists and allowing assignment to be changed by way of checkboxes.

If I guessed correctly, however, you're probably looking for a way to do the same thing in a pane (i.e., "Pane Tagging"). To do that, add a "Playlist Group" type pane. That allows one group to be selected, so you would have to have all the playlist you want to appear in the list to be in one group. I'm not sure, but I think you would have to one playlist that includes all files you expect to appear in the view so when "All" is selected in that pane all files will appear in the view.

It would make it faster that having to use the tagging pane to the left or right clicking the file and using send to.

I hadn't tried it before (I don't use playlists much), but using a pane for selecting a playlist might be very useful. It provides a means for viewing any playlist or combination of playlists right in the Panes View—rather than in List View. Pane Tagging will also work for managing playlists, but it seems the tagging window is better designed for that. It shows which playlist groups a file is a member of, whereas in a pane you have to expand group branches to see the checkmarks indicating which playlists the selected files are in.

locust

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:22 am »

Hi Rick

I understand what you mean but my only problem is that I'd constantly have to update the "All" Playlist...

I did think of the panes athough would it be possible this way??

Could I add an Expression Column that would point to My Playlist Group that has all my playlist nested, i tried just stating the playlist field and it did nothing... In the Image the Playlist would be the column, and at the bottom circled part, a drop down list for each file that would show all the playlists in the group?? That way it would work like the Tagging Pane but without having to go to it, use the sent to or even pressing Alt+Enter..

The only reason I am pursuing this is because I really don't like right clicking files much, especially once you right click them and you then have to navigate through sub menus. Using the Tagging pane doesn't generally bother me. But since I took your advice from those previous posts and started using panes (I'm Glad I did, It opens up so much more possibilities), I like to use J River in Full Screen Mode.. Whilst in full screen mode the tagging pane will not appear. So it adds one extra step to deal with the playlists, and having to leave full screen mode is not good..  :(

I don't know if it will work, I don't know much about J River, I am still a beginner.. But I don't see why it should not because if you select the artist field and press F2 a drop down menu will appear....

Thanks again Rick

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »

I understand what you mean but my only problem is that I'd constantly have to update the "All" Playlist..

...Not if you use a smartlist: [Media Type]=[Audio]

Could I add an Expression Column that would point to My Playlist Group that has all my playlist nested...

No, but it works better than that in a pane—where you can use "Pane Tagging."

locust

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »

thanks Rick worked like a charm...
Pages: [1]   Go Up