INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Label tests MP3 in song sale  (Read 817 times)

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
Label tests MP3 in song sale
« on: May 23, 2002, 08:06:36 pm »

"In what may be a first for the recording industry, Maverick Records and Vivendi Universal's online division are asking listeners to pay just under a dollar for an unprotected MP3 version of a new single."

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-921734.html

I'm not crazy about the tune but I might just buy it to reward the use of an unrestricted format.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

zevele1

RE:Label tests MP3 in song sale
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 03:25:01 am »

Do not have to pay,i can get it from Emusic.But i will not put it on any p2p software
Do not see the fact that the move comes from Universal as a surprise.They have BIG problem with they net activities,and they just need to find a way
But again they do things in a wrong way.I understand that this song is kind of pop for youngs
I do not know many teenagers with a credit card
A good test has to be music for older people.To see if people like us will bother to run a p2p instead of paying $1
They have to put out kind of phone cards with credit on it.They can sell it in any records shop.And you buy it for your kids.I do think they have to sell a song at cheaper price,or to have at the same time a cheap "eat as much as you want" option

But ,a shame i know,i still do not trust this people.Can be that they do it just hoping to sell only a few  and to have the song on all p2p .I even think that they are able to put the song on p2p themself
And i am not that happy to see this song on Emusic.I do not wish to have to pay more every month because all the top ten junk is on download

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 05:26:43 am »

For what it's worth, I think Vivendi Universal is doing the best job of giving customers what they want.  Still not there, but moving in that direction faster than anyone else.  They own both mp3.com and emusic.  I think emusic is now the leading service, well ahead of Pressplay or MusicNet or any of the others.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 10:23:05 am »

JimH
Concerning Emusic,there is something you have to keep in mind.They sell other labels,not Geffen or one of the large number of they own labels .I am sure that they do not really give a damm if bands from Emusic are  or not on p2p,as far as they do some money. If you remember,it was not like it when Emusic still 'an indee' company.And they do some money.Do not know if they do a lot,but Emusic is on the rise.From 25 000 customers to 35 000 in few months time

In France,Universal boss is public enemy number one,include the politics from both sides
You have a lot of in deep articles in french newspapers.Universal is in very very bad position.
The net part of Universal is a HUDGE failure.Only mp3.com did some money last year[do not know if Emusic include in it]
When i say in very very bad position,i mean that ,if nothing happens,no more Universal in a close futur.Mercier-the french boss- was/is the stonger partisan of the net activity of Universal
He is as well in a very bad position.To the point to be jobless in few months
So he needs to do something.To sell music on free mp3 -or wma- at realistic price can be a solution,and yes,Universal will be the first,and yes will have a hudge succes

And we\you may get a fair deal.But not out of wise jugement

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 10:42:15 am »

zevele10

JimH is well aware of what emusic is doing, he just don't tell what he knows.

I think he would be a good FBI agent
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2002, 10:53:15 am »

Of this i am SURE

But he does not have to say that he knows

nila

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2002, 11:19:21 am »

This is definitely a step in the right direction.
However, if they are going to charge $1 per song they HAVE to include some way of recovering and downloading again the song in case the person looses it or something. $1 is the price we pay now roughly ($15 for an album with 15 songs on it) and we get a hard copy.
This soft copy saves them a LOT of distribution money and cost as they dont actually give us anything physical.
Backupless copies should sell I think for around 50c.
Some of you might say this is too much for a song that you dont get a physical copy of, some might say it's too cheap but I think 50c is a nice round number that most people wouldn't have a problem with parting with in order to get a perfect quality rip of a song with no stupid protection.

Nice job for that company for choosing mp3 and not some stupid 'protected' (yeah right) format.

Cotton-Eyed|PLS|Loo

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2002, 11:41:47 am »

I wonder if it's watermarked to help collect data on proliferation/theft.

I expect we'll get a press release in a month or so claiming that the US economy will collapse and terrorists will take over all our religious and gov't offices if all hardware manufacturers don't immediatley include some bits to prevent playing unlicensed content. I also anticipate people going to jail for buying 10 packs of magic markers - "intent do distribute a copy-protection defeating utility".

I guess it's unreasonable to blame the production and distribution oligarchs for fighting to defend their industry - remember that most publishing musicians get about $1 per album sold... yet they sell for $15.

I'd fight too. I figure as long as they're lawyers cost less than execs believe they are maintaining in the current distribution models - they will continue to do so.

On the other hand they are also the most agressive at seeking out and evaluating technologies and partners to help them suceed in the new distribution system. Marketing will always be important and so Sony (et al) will always have a place in music.

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2002, 12:12:39 pm »

Nila

Do not see that much cds at $15 when in London,15 pounds yes
What is 1$ for people in US?Really nothing?Small money?
For me it is the price of a bus ticket.Let say that if there is song i have in my head non stop,good deal.But,you are rigth as well,i will not buy that much songs at this price
I think one song will ever cost around 1$.Let see if one day they give montly/one year contract at very good price
I do not remember how much costs one song on Emusic,but it is very expensive if you keep in mind you pay $9,99 a month\one year for illimited download

As you say happy to see MP3 is the format,but look like 128 kps will stay the rule
Pages: [1]   Go Up