INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-DVD sets (no Series)  (Read 1495 times)

Klaus_K

• Recent member
Multi-DVD sets (no Series)
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:33:16 am »

Hi,

sorry, if this was adressed before - I did search but didn't find anything.

After having finished ripping all my CD's )mostly classical), I'm now adding my DVD's step by step and I was wondering what the best way is to deal with multi DVD sets. I have may Opera DVD's that consist of two DVD's.
In Media Center they show up as two different movies. With CD's I would add Disk numbers and give the same album name so it would end up as one album with multiple CD's. How can I achieve the same with DVD's? It seems that for DVD's the name tag is used as a grouping for DVD's and not the album tag.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Klaus

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Multi-DVD sets (no Series)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »

One way of dealing with this problem could be using a container file aka .mkv files.
If you rip a DVD to an mkv container, you can choose which streams should go in there, the mpeg4 video stream of course but what audio stream - Dolby pro, DTS, others and which subtitles.
You loose the DVD menu, just the film will go in there. After ripping both DVDs, they can be merged to one file and you will end up with one movie.

Klaus_K

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

what tool could I use to convert my video_ts folders to mkv containers?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »

You can use MakeMKV http://www.makemkv.com/ . Just select the IFO file from the Video_TS folder and it will create one MKV file from all the VOB files.
Then you can use MKV Toolkit http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Merge_MKV_Files_with_mkvmerge_GUI_44399588to select both the MKV files (one from each DVD) and combine those into one MKV file.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:05:53 am »

Another way of dealing with this is to add a disk number tag (or however you want to differentiate between the two discs) and customise your DVD view so that it includes this tag in the same way as the audio views.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

Things change depending on how you view your video library.

if you view by albums, just give them both the same album name then different names.

If you view by name, you can just give them the same name and they will appear together.
The problem with this is that when you want to choose one of the 2 discs you will have to drag
them into playing now then select one of them individually there.

You can view by albums then name and have a common album name but individual names.

I don't know how your view works so its difficult to give advice.

I like to see my disks separate. it would annoy me if they were grouped together.
Consider leaving yours how they are.

Klaus_K

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll play around with both options and see what suits me better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up