INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems installing 278 or 279 upgrade  (Read 1023 times)

Sixpack

Problems installing 278 or 279 upgrade
« on: May 23, 2002, 02:58:21 pm »

I tried upgrading from ver 8 build 276 278/279 and cannot recover. I tried uninstalling MJ 8.x and reinstalling full package but am having problems with it as well. Previous upgrades prior to build 278 went without a problem.  I can eventually install the full package without "this program has performed an illegal operations .... MJ caused an invalad page fault in module (unknown) at 0000:78941470" but if I try to play from the library MJ becomes unresponsive and I have to close MJ via control panel.  Trying to execute MJ again results in the same message noted above.  I have tried uninstalling full install, rebooting then reinstalling but without success.  Install package gets stuck installing "Windows Media Components" and I have to end task from control panel and try again and it will install but is sluggish and will not play from the library and will become unresponsive and will not restart.  I guess I have really hosed something.  Is there a way to fully scrub MJ and reinstall. The obvious MJ registry items appear clear.

Win 98SE
P4
various dll's current rev

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Problems installing 278 or 279 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2002, 04:04:21 pm »

You can try deleting the registry keys.  Just delete all the MJ keys.  Make sure you have a backup of any license you purchased, on a floppy.

Your problems sound worse than just MJ install problems, but I could be mistaken.

The full version of 8.0 should be installed first.  It's about 9MB.  It is not available on our site right now because we are confused.  Maybe tomorrow?  Once you have installed it, you can download and install the *Upgrade.exe file.

If you are asked to reboot, it would be wise to do it.

Good luck.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 06:26:29 am »

There was a similar problem reported yesterday and the solution was cleaning out a directory (windows temp, I think).  Please check other threads.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sixpack

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 02:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the tips.  Are most of the registry items under the software sub folders?  Will delete all I can find and retry fresh once the full package is posted again.  I still have build 265 but will wait and see what is posted.  I did clean out win temp folder - boy was there a lot of temp MJ folders!!  I sure hope I can resolve without reloading Windows 98SE - having teeth pulled is a more pleasent experience.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 03:33:53 pm »

>> having teeth pulled is a more pleasent experience.
please no, It hurts!!!

Listening to: 'King Of Pain' from 'Police' by 'Police' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Rob West

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2002, 03:48:50 pm »

I had a similar, but horrific experience. I hit the usual ctrl-J from MJ, to upgrade. MJ did the Right Thing and downloaded the update, and started the install, but about half-way through, the machine bluescreened (XP-style, with a memory dump). As a result, my ATAPI.SYS driver was hashed, and my machine refused to boot 2 out of 3 attempts. Usually a powercycle was required. After several attempts in Safe Mode to repair the ATAPI.SYS file, which I assumed MJ installs or updates, but may be perhaps wrong, subsequent launches of MJ caused the same BSOD. However, when I rebooted the next time, I lost two of my Hardware devices - Ethernet (gak!) and my GeForce 256 video card.

To make a long story even longer, I was forced to re-install XP, having exhausted my diagnostic and repair options. Previously, I had never had any issues with any previous beta builds.

I'm certain that this was anomalous, and specific to how weirdly configured my machine is, but it was severe enough that I feel compelled to at least report it.

The bad news: I didn't think at the time to save you any memory dumps, so I'm sorry for that. But, here's my current info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.282
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 735 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 337 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 1.23 , ASPI32 for Windows NT, Copyright (C) 1998 Advansy, TCD Labs, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A
Pages: [1]   Go Up