INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming + MadVR  (Read 3945 times)

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
Bitstreaming + MadVR
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:30 am »

Any ideas on what Nvidia card will support both?  I found out the hard way that my GTX 570 does not support Bitstreaming - or I'm I wrong?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bitstreaming + MadVR
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:45:16 am »

It will support bitstreaming, but perhaps not advanced codecs like TrueHD and DTS-HD. If you are shopping for a new card, this will be listed in the specs.

Any particular reason why you need to bitstream? I feel like it is starting to become a bygone era with all the new PC codecs.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:03:01 am »

It will support bitstreaming, but perhaps not advanced codecs like TrueHD and DTS-HD. If you are shopping for a new card, this will be listed in the specs.

Any particular reason why you need to bitstream? I feel like it is starting to become a bygone era with all the new PC codecs.

Ahh - gottcha

Well, I think my AVR can do a better job with the decoding when it comes to True-HD and DTS-MA/HD.  Is that not a correct assumption?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:18 am »

There is a list of cards that support HD codec bitstreaming. I'll see if I can find it for you on AVSforums.
Partial list: nvidia 430,440,450, 460, 550GTX and 560 Ti. Any card higher than 560 Ti does not support HD audio bitstreaming.

Many more cards do actually send up to 7.1 LPCM from decoded audio. You'll still be using your AVR's DACs in this case.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »

Ahh - gottcha

Well, I think my AVR can do a better job with the decoding when it comes to True-HD and DTS-MA/HD.  Is that not a correct assumption?
Only you can answer that. Some people (like me) just like the fancy HD lights on their AVRs to come on so they bit-stream. Nothing wrong with that. Really, you probably can't tell the difference. I was using LPCM before JRiver and I couldn't tell the difference.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »

Ahh - gottcha

The decoding is akin to unzipping the file from compressed audio to lossless, decompressed. It's a digital process and is EXACTLY the same whether done in your PC or your AVR. What might be a noticeable in sound quality is where you choose to do the digital to analogue conversion. Even there, some high end sound cards can do a better job than mid-level receivers, or so I have read.

maid

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »

I have an Nvidia GForce 9500GT card and use Bitstreaming to my AVR. I would like to try and see if my PC could do a better job. Can someone help with the basic settings to get me started. Would this also help with the Dolby output going from extremely loud explosion to whisper quite speech?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:42 am »

Maid, technically you are correct in that you bitstream AC3 (dolby digital) and DTS to your AVR with your 9500GT. However, most advanced users kind of take for granted that video cards capable to sound will bitstream those formats. So, when we say bitstreaming, we're actually usually referring to the lossless codecs of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Your card cannot do that, but it will pass on decoded lossless audio up to 7.1 as LPCM.

You will not hear any difference in your setup by letting the PC do the decoding, unless you play with some other settings too. What you need to do is to boost the centre channel from your AVR if you have access to those settings, which you must. The centre channel is where the dialogue/speech primarily comes form. By boosting it preferentially, the difference between the explosions and speech will be less. You'll need your AVR manual. Another option is to turn on dynamic range compression (DRC) or 'night' mode on your AVR. This kind of achieves the same thing.
Alternatively, if you do decode in MC, you will probably be able to boost your centre channel using the DSP settings.

Ghettorat

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »

I use a gtx550 ti with bitstreaming and red october hq and get DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD on my onkyo receiver. It works very well.
I have a GTX580 on my gaming pc but don't have that connected to a receiver or use it for movies. I can check if someone really is wondering if it works  :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »

I have a GTX580 on my gaming pc but don't have that connected to a receiver or use it for movies. I can check if someone really is wondering if it works  :)

It doesn't.

maid

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »

Maid, technically you are correct in that you bitstream AC3 (dolby digital) and DTS to your AVR with your 9500GT. However, most advanced users kind of take for granted that video cards capable to sound will bitstream those formats. So, when we say bitstreaming, we're actually usually referring to the lossless codecs of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Your card cannot do that, but it will pass on decoded lossless audio up to 7.1 as LPCM.

You will not hear any difference in your setup by letting the PC do the decoding, unless you play with some other settings too. What you need to do is to boost the centre channel from your AVR if you have access to those settings, which you must. The centre channel is where the dialogue/speech primarily comes form. By boosting it preferentially, the difference between the explosions and speech will be less. You'll need your AVR manual. Another option is to turn on dynamic range compression (DRC) or 'night' mode on your AVR. This kind of achieves the same thing.
Alternatively, if you do decode in MC, you will probably be able to boost your centre channel using the DSP settings.
Thanks Fitbrit
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

maid

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »

Changed to

Output Mode Direct sound

Output Mode settings Speakers High definition Audio Default channels

Using DSP equalizer and room correction.

Sounds heaps better, is there anything else ive missed or could try?
Pages: [1]   Go Up