INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorting in album view  (Read 1424 times)

shmulik509

• Recent member
sorting in album view
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:25:58 pm »

Is it possible to apply sorting like the following:
first I would like to sort by genre. if it is "classical", I would like to sort by composer, else by artist

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: sorting in album view
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

Yes. Create an expression field using If(IsEqual([Genre], classical), [Composer], [Artist]) and sort by that.

shmulik509

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

Took me some time to find where to create this expression, but once I found it, it sorted things right. Thanks

shmulik509

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:37 am »

Hi,
After adding many more albums to my library I'm having some problems with sorting. I'm trying to get the following in Albums view:
first view all "Classical", then all "Jazz" and then all the rest. Inside "Classical" sort by "Composer" while the rest is sorted by "Artist"
For that I used the following rules, in the given order:
Classical First: If(IsEqual([Genre], Classical,1), 0,1)
Jazz First: If(IsEqual([Genre],Jazz,1),0,1)
Album Sort:  If(IsEqual([Genre], Classical,1), [Composer], [Artist])

this work MOST of the time. after adding a considerable number of albums to the library the sort, which was fine before the addition, went slightly puzzled. the larger sort (classical/jazz) was in order, but the inner sort was almost correct. for some odd reason, Mahler was offending the sorting code and got his titles spread between other composers.

the only fix I could find is to pseudo-edit the Album Sort rule, i.e. open it for editing and pressing OK without really editing.
I know this is a tough one since I have no idea how to reproduce but by adding tens of new albums, and it might be my specific collection and the specific addition order that causes it. however I wonder what triggers full sort (tried re-syncing the library with the tags - no use)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »

Albums view:

Sorry, I don't use stock views, so I'm not sure what type of view "album view" is—panes, categories or list?

For that I used the following rules, in the given order:

How are you using these—as expression columns or fields? If fields, are they three separate fields used in this order in a custom sort rule?

for some odd reason, Mahler was offending the sorting code and got his titles spread between other composers.

I assume you've checked the obvious—that the Mahler files are tagged consistently.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you're using separate expression columns, I suppose there could be refresh issues—but it doesn't sound like you are.

If I wanted to do this, I would create one expression field [Audio.Sort] to serve as a sort key...

If(IsEqual([Genre], Classical, 1), 1, If(IsEqual([Genre], Jazz, 1), 2, [Genre])) If(IsEqual([Genre], Classical, 1), [Composer], [Artist])

...and specify [Audio.Sort] as the sort field in any view where I wanted that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up