INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing files - doesn't recognize individual discs in box set  (Read 1576 times)

samwisesam

• Recent member

Hi

i am trying to import a folder from iTunes which is a box set broken into 4 cd's saved as separate files - they all show as separate albums in itunes. Normally mc imports the files no problem and all four disks appear at the same level under the artist. However, although the files are named differently the songs are all appearing under the one master file. I have tried various ways of rectifying this but the albums keep appearing under one master file. Any ideas on what I need to do? The files are flac.

cheers Jamie

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

Could you move/copy the tracks into the destination folder using Windows explorer, then go into MC (Standard View>Files) and add any missing info (like Album name, Artist, Track, etc) that is missing?

samwisesam

• Recent member

hi

the problem is more around the songs being placed under the one master file rather than shown in MC16 as individual CD's. So in Explorer I have amended the file names from CD1 - 4 to named files e.g. Closing Night Concert Feb 70. However, when I import to MC the four albums are all placed under the one master album. Instead of having 4 albums I have one with 80 songs on it all jumbled up. I assume it is something to do with the data in the original Flac file? It still seems to recognise the original box set name and believes all four files to be the same source? Any ideas?

cheers Jamie

CountryBumkin

There may be an easier way - maybe one of the programming gurus will jump in - but what I would do is go to the Standard View and open Audio>Files. That will give you a screen like below. The select all the indiviual tracks that belong to single Album. Click on each row you want to select (hold the Cntrl key to select mulitiple files). Right click to bring up the tools window and select rename. Change the name of the "Album" to "Album Disk One" or "Album Disk 2" or whatever. Then hit enter and all the selected files will have the Album name updated.

Vincent Kars

You might rename files but in general this won’t help you.
Inside the header of the file there are tags, small pieces of text describing the content e.g. Album, Artist, etc.

Almost all media players use the tags.
In case of multi volume sets you can do 2 things.

Give each album a different name like
The best of X – Vol. 1
The best of X – Vol. 2
Etc.

The major reason why you have a multi volume set is that it doesn’t fit on a single CD.
But on a PC you don’t have this constrain
An option I often use is to use disc number.
All tracks have the same Album e.g. The best of X
Now you add the disc number so 1 for the first, 2 for the second, etc.

Because of this number you will see 1 entry in album view but if you open the album the tracks will be sorted by disc number / track so in the right sequence.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/Tagging.html

samwisesam

• Recent member

thanks guys I will give that a go now and let you know how I get on

cheers Jamie
Pages: [1]   Go Up