INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 8.0.279 RC...  (Read 3428 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Media Jukebox 8.0.279 RC...
« on: May 22, 2002, 01:35:32 pm »

Media Jukebox 8.0.279 RC (Release Candidate) is available:

[279 was removed -- 280 should be available in the next few minutes.]

History:
1. Changed: Fixed drive Portables can now enter whatever volume label is associated with the player so that the player can be detected.
2. NEW: Added MPGA files to the list of supported formats.
3. Fixed: Media Juekbox no longer allows saving in File Properties if multiple files have been assigned the same filename.
4. Fixed: When CD burn completed (and CD was ejected) while a track was playing, MJ would crash.
5. Fixed: Start up image would not paint correctly.
6. Fixed: Registration message would pop up twice.

JohnT

RE:Media Jukebox 8.0.279 RC...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 01:38:57 pm »

ZRocker:  Using GoldenHawk driver, if you start a data CD/RW burn and Cancel before the first track is witten, MJ can no longer 'handle' the partially initialized CD/RW disk...

I can't reproduce this problem here. Does it do this every time? Do you cancel right away, or during the write process?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 01:45:16 pm »

JohnT,

I only did it once...it looked like it had started writing the TOC, but the first track had not started writing (that I am sure of).  I will try to test it again.

---

JimH,

I just installed 279 using the FULL install and chose Custom (not Express).  This time no leftover RarSFXn sub-dir...yippee!!

ZRocker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 01:54:16 pm »

JohnT,

Well, this time I pressed the MJ burner Cancel button (after pressing Start) and MJ crashed...see:

Also, now my CD/RW drive is locked and nobody can access it...time to reboot.

After I reboot, I'll try the Cancel again, but this time I'll press the Cancel button on the popup CD Write dialog (that's the button I pressed in the initial bug report).

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 01:57:50 pm »

Still cannot acces internet from inside MJ.Not update ever
DownloadManager cannot connect .With one click album or one song in Emusic
Browser can download one song,FreeAmp can download one click full album

ZRocker

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 02:05:11 pm »

JohnT,

I retested and MJ gets stuck on Please Wait...Analyzing... still after you cancel a CD/RW burn.  I simply started the data CD burn, waited for the CD Write popup dialog that said 'Preparing to write' (I think).  When, the dialog displayed the Cancel button I pressed it and choose Yes (I'm sure).  MJ displayed 'Cancelling...' dialog (while the CD finished preparing, I guess).  After that, MJ gets stuck analyzing the CD/RW if I re-insert it (MJ ejected the CD as it should have).

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 02:06:47 pm »

Media Server very balky. Though client program connects OK and full library appears, there is excessive buffering or files just refuse to play, program freezing, can escape only through C-A-D. It was operating seamlessly in 276.

ZA disabled on home computer. Standard gap/More Skip resistant selected in Settings for playback.

System info:

Media Jukebox  8.0.279

CPU: Intel Pentium II 399 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 120 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

HTH

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 02:17:53 pm »

mediaserver: same here, 276 was fine, problems started in 278
using local network (100mb/s), winxp as server (athlon 1.2), win98se as client (cyrix pr233), (tiny) firewall disabled.

Ingo

ZRocker

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 02:24:15 pm »

Comment:
I'm not to sure I like this new column sizing logic (MJ-style).  I don't use auto-column sizing and now when I drag columns to resize it is not very smooth.  When you drag and let go, the column auto-matically moves back to where it was originally and then back to where I had resized it to.  So, it's kind of jerky, ugly when you let go after adjusting the column size.  Was there something wrong with the standard Windows logic?  (I never had a problem.)

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 03:02:01 pm »

Hi - I'm using the Lower Left mini-me and when I click to stop the currently playing song and it slowly fades, I then click on the upward arrow (top button on the virtical bar) to return to mega-me and I get the following error...

Jscript Error.
Code = 80004005
Code meaning = Unspecified error
Source = ScriptControl
Description = "Cannot call this method while the script is executing"

Click OK and the mega-me appears and then MJ crashes.
Namaste,
John

dick

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 03:08:54 pm »

I'll add this to the 8.0.279 bug reports in case my stand-alone post doesn't get noticed:

I have additional information on the bug I previously reported, in which MJ is losing about one second of sound data at the end of tracks that run close together on CD's ripping into WMA format. I previously reported that Windows Media Player does not have this bug when ripping the same tracks in WMA. What I negelected to do was test whether Media Player correctly plays the WMA tracks ripped by MJ. The answer is YES! This means the problem is not in MJ's WMA ripping; it's in MJ's WMA playback. Luckily, this means I don't have to re-rip my entire CD collection.

So, I'll restate the bug report: MJ's WMA playback module loses about one second of data at the end of tracks. Most tracks end with enough silence that you don't notice it. But when two tracks run together, sound data is lost. It appears that the WMA playback module is stopping prematurely before the end of the track.

I'm using MJ 8.279, but I think this bug has been around for a long time.

Dick Green

nila

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2002, 03:13:24 pm »

I noticed you added a recognised file type in this build which means it's obviously not too late to do that.
Could you PLEASE add .m2v as a recognised file type.
I noticed you already have .m1v and I'd love it if MJ would recognise my .m2v files too without me having to rename them.
If I do rename them to .m1v they work just fine so it supports them.

And an old bug still exists:
If I do import in my folder with all my music video's in it then it tries to do a RealPlayer update as soon as it comes accross the first .mov file and when real says it cant find an update, MJ then hangs permenantly saying: Importing: blah.....
The cancel button on this screen doesn't work to cancel it and only way to get out is to: ctrl|PLS|alt|PLS|del.

If u want me to send you the file that it keeps getting stuck on I will.

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 03:40:43 pm »

I can still crash MJ. Simple version -> queue up some left double-clicks and right double-clicks along with a couple of left and right clicks while MJ is pulling a media file into "now playing" list with just that one item.

This happens to me when I try to pull down a large media file down to my desk at work from home - my uplink from home is slow.

This is not a show stopper for me as it doesn't prevent me from using the system normally. I can readily crash the software through typical behavior in an atypical scenario. Since MJ is generally quite responsive this is rarely an issue. I haven't tried to crash it during ripping - since the system is heavily loaded at that time it may be a 'good opportunity' for a CnB. I'll try this when I get home.

l8s

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2002, 03:43:26 pm »

Oh yeah - I have the user.dmp and drwatson.log if you like (MJ Crash 6).

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2002, 03:43:28 pm »

CE Lou,
Don't try to crash MJ.  You're also taking a chance on crashing some windows piece of software.  Windows networking is _fragile_ at best, in my opinion.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

ZRocker

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2002, 03:48:42 pm »

I can confirm Gatabrit's problem with mini-me skins and MJ crashing (while pressing a button and a stop is 'in progress').

I also had a very, very bad problem with MJ when trying to enter mini-me skin mode (LowerLeft).  I had clicked the mini-me button on toolbar and LowerLeft would be displayed...then immediately some wierd JScript error (Object required).  Then, hundreds of JScript error dialogs kept popping up wherever I moved the cursor (clicking Ok just displayed another error box).  I tried killing MJ via the Task Manager, but all the  JScript error popups and their on-top behavior obscured anothing I'd start...so I couldn't see Task Manager long enough to kill MJ.  I then pressed C-A-D and MJ crashed (thank God!).  I tried the process all over and the same result.  I deleted the State.xml file for LowerLeft and the same thing (3rd time now).  So, I restarted MJ and changed to LowerRight and the problem stopped.  I then right-clicked the mini-me skin and chose LowerLeft and MJ seems to be working now.  During all of these tests, MJ playback was stopped.  Next, I tested Gatobrit's problem and confirmed it is a problem...seems like MJ is trying to execute the JScript code twice (because of the fade-out Stop setting).

Update:
I use the MJAutomation.GetPlayback() Stop method to implement the Stop button in a custom function (and not the built-in MJ Stop button...because I need to do other tasks during Stop).  It appears Metamorphis is not protecting itself from other button presses during a Stop function call (like it does when a Stop button is used).

JimH

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2002, 03:50:01 pm »

HTH and Ingo,
I'm testing Media Server and finding it solid right now.  Could it be an Internet backbone problem?  

Jim

H,
Thanks for the biz.  You were first.  
Jim
Jim Hillegass

RemyJ

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2002, 04:06:02 pm »

I've got Media Server problems as well...

When connecting, I get prompted for userid and password 6 times, then 3 times for each track played. Have to keep pressing OK to get through them.

Client and server on same machines or different machine, no difference.  

Seems to play OK once you I get by the prompts.

Worked yesterday on 276.

Media Server says 1.0.130 protocol version 0.9 if that helps

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2002, 04:08:39 pm »

JimH,

I appreciate the warning - it's certainly a good and fair warning which if heeded would likely save me time [if not data as well] over the long haul.

I'm not afraid of crashing windows parts - not even hard drive parts - as I regularly backup all my data. I'd rather not re-install windows but I've done it at least 25 times by now and that's about the worst that's likely from aggrivating the O/S or apps.

In this particular scenario I am consistently crashing MJ and it's being caught "The Way You Would Want" (tm) - core file and all.

Perhaps most importantly I'm using my office computer - an IS guy would do the re-install - not I.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2002, 04:08:51 pm »

RemyJ,
Are those files listed as mp3s?  Old music01 files?

Jim
Jim Hillegass

RemyJ

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2002, 04:19:03 pm »

>>>Are those files listed as mp3s?
Yep, ripped day before yesterday.
The remote directory shows...
m01p://192.168.2.250:20090/C:\usr\music\Emerson, Lake & Palmer\Brain Salad Surgery\03 - Still ... You Turn Me On.mp3
as location.

>>>Old music01 files?
Not sure what you mean.

Just to be clear, I get propmpted for userid and password multiple times wihle connecting to the server to get the library BEFORE any track is played.

UPDATE!!!!!

This thing is really toast.  I disabled authentication on the server to test again and got 1 track to play, but the second track resulted in both the server and client looping
with the server spitting out "received a connection", "private sharing thread started", "sharing thread exiting" messages over and over.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2002, 04:23:11 pm »

Remy,
Try disabling "authentication".  I don't use it.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

RemyJ

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2002, 04:34:32 pm »

>>> Try disabling "authentication". I don't use it.
Reminds me of the "Man went to a doctor..." joke.
Authentication has been working all along and just stopped with this release.  I was using it literally all day today from work with 276 on both ends.

BTW The looping is caused when trying to retrieve a track with the "´" character in it.  The media server chokes on it and if it's the only thing in the playlist and "continuous play" is turned on...  This may be an old problem but I caught it this time because "What´s the matter here" by 10,000 Maniacs is the first track in my library and I was using it to test.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2002, 04:50:13 pm »

and if you turn authentication off?
Jim Hillegass

RemyJ

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2002, 05:01:14 pm »

>>> and if you turn authentication off?

As I reported in the post just BEFORE you asked the first time Next Page, yes it does work with authentication turned off unless you try to play a track with the "´" in it.  The server won't serve those files with auth on or off.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

sekim

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2002, 05:05:06 pm »

Have not seen one of these in a while....

MEDIA JUKEBOX caused an invalid page fault in
module at 0000:760e1470.

Had MJ shutdown for about an hour or so, restarted and got this error, twice. Third time a charm?

shelly

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2002, 08:02:08 pm »

I agree with ZRocker on the column sizing - liked it much better before; this is making me dizzy.

I'm so happy gridline distortion has been fixed - thank you!

The problem with the CD Copy/Options windows hiding after changing file locations hasn't been fixed and is still really annoying but certainly not a show stopper.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2002, 11:16:38 pm »

JimH

> I'm testing Media Server and finding it solid right now.
> Could it be an Internet backbone problem?

no, as I said, I'm on a 100mb/s local network, switched, near to no other traffic, only two computers active.

I just tried it again, had to hit ok on the password box about 5 times to download the media library. Once this is through, it works, but stoping playback and starting it again usualy causes another few password boxes...

only installed plugins (on server) are girder and album view (latest), none on client.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2002, 02:31:34 am »

when playing i have had mj crash, i am not sure but it might be slide show since it did not do that before i installed it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2002, 04:15:54 am »

Bug:
1. With Playback Output Mode set to Wave Out and Stop set to Immediate, when you press the Stop button during playback the stop is NOT immediate.  There's a quick silence followed by a 'blip' of the current song and then it stops.  The 'blip' is only about 100 milliseconds, but it is noticeable everytime you hit stop.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2002, 04:51:38 am »

Server problems have disappeared for the moment. Problem may have been at the host end of things. When I got home last nite, MJ and Media Server had frozen for some reason.

HTH

Listening to: 'Scene And Variations' by 'Lennie Tristano' on Media Jukebox

apollumi

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2002, 06:23:04 am »

i use girder to start MJ minimized to the system tray when windows starts. however, sometimes this causes a display error where the only parts of the MJ window that display are the title bar, the menus, and the status bar at the bottom. everything else is not there. nothing seems to make the rest of the window appear. at least i can use the right-click menu on the tray icon to control everything!

Geoff

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2002, 06:50:59 am »

Hi,
i haven't checked since an early beta 8 version, but will MJ now read from cdplayer .ini? If so I would be interested to know. I have a lot of cds in my ini file so prefer to get info from there.
regards,
Geoff

JohnT

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2002, 07:56:26 am »

Geoff-
Yes, MJ will read from cdplayer.ini. Here is the order of lookup:

1. check MJ database to see if CD info is already there
2. if not there, try cdplayer.ini
3. if not there, try to read CD-Text from CD
4. if not available, try a CDDB lookup (if enabled by user)
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

WolfA

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2002, 09:04:07 am »

Still in 8.0.279 RC
Still in 8.0.276beta
Still in 8.0.275beta
Still in 8.0.273beta
Still in 8.0.272beta
Still in 8.0.270beta
Still in 8.0.267beta
Still in 8.0.266beta
Bug in 8.0.265beta - CD names not shown correctly

If you need more info: albrecht-waldbronn@web.de

Still the process of reading the content of MP3 CDs is not real good. If
a CD, that shows up in the explorer as 'Complete_CDs_01', is read, the
section File Location shows (0x5601E92A) and the section CD and DVD media a
CD named 'unassigned'. If I add mores CDs, it still shows a single
'unassigned' folder instead of the real name of the CD. Out of 5 CDs
'Complete_CDs_01' through 'Complete_CDs_05' only the last showed with
correct name under CD and DVD media.

To show the content of a specific CD is therefore not straight forward!

Can this be changed?

My system: NT 4.0 with all SPs, 500 Mhz PIII, 198MB RAM

Additional text for Matt:

Today I installed the RC 279, it still shows the same, see attached
media.jpg. It's with the build-in CD/DVD drive and also on the external HP
CD-Writer Plus (7500 series). The windows explorer shows correct
information, see attached media2.jpg.

Is there the possibillity, that MJ is in trouble because I have the drives
named Y and/or Z?

> Sorry I don't have a better answer.  Hopefully manually renaming your data
> CD's in MJ won't be too much of a hassle....

The rename item is grayed-out when I tried to rename the CD. I clicked right
on the 'unassigned'.

I tried it now on my son's PC (P3/900Mhz with Windows ME). The same effect!
So it seems it's not specific hardware or operating system related. I burned
a CD with a shorter naming "JCash. Format ISO Data Mode 2/XA with Nero
5.8.2. The same problem.

Something you can do with this information?

Regards, Wolfgang

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2002, 11:45:12 am »

I select-all'd a playlist, then clicked 'Burn CD'.  Selected Audio CD.  Everything looks fine.  Then clicked on the Length field header to sort by track length.  The Sequence field values now go screwy - displaying obviously incorrect numbers (e.g. 58 when there are only 31 tracks in the list).  If I click Sequence field header to sort, values are correct again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up