INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster Ripping Speed?  (Read 600 times)

DocLotus

Faster Ripping Speed?
« on: May 22, 2002, 11:07:30 am »

Many messages that I read talk about 10x - 12x ripping speed but I seldom acheive more then 6 - 8x at the end of the disk.  My system is plenty fast... P4 running at 2.2 GHz, 512 Mb of DDR memory. I NEVER run out of memory (usually have around 50% in reserve) & the processor is loafing along most of the time.  Is there something that I am doing wrong or are there some "tweaks" that I can do to acheive the 10 - 12x speeds?  I am ripping using WMA at 96.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Faster Ripping Speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 11:15:37 am »

About the ripping speed, a lot depends on the drive.  The mode (large buffer, secure, etc.) also makes a big difference.  Maybe try playing around.

And with such a killer machine, why rip to low quality WMA?

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Faster Ripping Speed?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 11:22:17 am »

As a test, rip to WAV in Digital Large Buffer mode.   That will usually give you the theoretical maximum for your hardware setup.  Rip an entire CD rather than a few tracks because the times will be different depending on where on the CD the track is and use a pristine pressed CD.

I can rip to WAV in DLB mode at anywhere from 10-25X but changing to Digital Secure knocks me back to 6-9X.  It's not CPU, it's the IO operations required to read the same sector multiple times so a compare can be done.  

Also, a CD that advertizes a max 48X read rate doesn't always mean that it will do Digital Audio Extraction at that rate.  I've seen devices that will extract data at 48X but only extract audio at 24X.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up