INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How likely are you to have a 3d capable display in the next three years?

I already have 3d
Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not likely
Never, I hate 3d

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How likely are you to have a 3d capable display in the next three years?  (Read 25611 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How likely are you to have a 3d capable display in the next three years?
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 01:55:14 am »

Never.

Tunnel view
This is probably THE biggest spoiler for me with 3D. In elementary school we used to create 'looking boxes'. We took a box, for example from a new pair of shoes. We then cut out little people, a house, a sun or a moon, some clouds, colored them and glued them upright in the box. We then cut a hole in the lid and glued some thin colored paper in it so light comes in coloring the scene inside the box. A hole in the side to look through and voila, 3D TV man! The point here is in case you don't get it, the TV image will never exit the tunnel view between your eyes and the TV bezel. This 'tunnel' is the 'looking box'. The image can only exist in this tunnel, there can be no image outside of it. The first time I saw 3D in a show case I thought 'hey this is cool!'. Then some smoke came towards me and it created this sharp border on the edges of this 'tunnel'. I took off the glasses and walked away. I can't imagine anyone wanting to look at something so ugly and so fake.

Forced focus
Although stuff appears in front or behind the focus point, you can't focus on anything else. If the camera has a large depth of field and you see things sharply close and far away, your brain has a tendency to focus, but that object isn't really any farther than what appears close to you. I believe this is where the eye strain comes from, it can even cause headaches and is closely related to the next point.

Nausea
People experience motion sickness with 3D that never had motion sickness before. I do get motion sickness with first person shooters sometimes, especially on bigger screens and its worse with 3D movies due to added realism of the image. This is due to the fact that your brain registers movement through vision but the vestibular does not. It's basically the same thing that causes car sickness but reversed where the vestibular registers more movement than your eyes can see due to the limited view through small windows. This confuses things and causes nausea.

Viewing angle
Although it has improved, the technology simply limits the viewing angle. There is a sweetspot and this limits the fun for people sitting outside of it. If your room allows it you could sit further away and this allows 1 or 2 more persons to enjoy 3D in all its glory, but the closer you sit, the smaller the sweetspot.

Glasses
I wear glasses already. Passive or active is already a no-go. I could try wearing 2 pairs but my nose is too small.

Many of the other downsides mentioned in this thread like less brightness and reduced resolution are only limitations to keep the costs down. In fact there are already TV's being showcased with full 4K 3D and double the brightness of a normal full HD TV - it's only a matter of time before these appear in the shops for decent prices. The glasses won't be an issue once/if the glasses-less passive 3D becomes a more viable option but right now that is far from being the case. My other points will never solve with the current 3D technology.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

I think 3D is a nice gimmick and all but personally I have no real interest in it.
But I also have no  disinterest in it,  I don't  spend time worrying about all its technical implementation faults or anything.

However from a business perspective,  I think it is wise for you to consider supporting 3D.   For better or for worse, it has become a  "market proven" technology, imho.   I say this with no qualifications other than the fact that  it is the latest fad everyone wants on their TV, and people buy it up hook line and sinker.

3D Movies are slowly becoming more common and chances are at some point,  the average user probably will have a few titles in their collection that they want to watch in 3D.  (Just wait for Lucas to cash in on a 3D Star Wars box set....ugh)

I can only guess that the specialized 3D Players for PC's  are pretty popular,  so  it would make sense to support the feature at some point, right?

pcstockton

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 10:07:37 pm »

However from a business perspective,  I think it is wise for you to consider supporting 3D.   For better or for worse, it has become a  "market proven" technology, imho. 

I have NEVER once seen anyone watching it.  EVER.  Not once.  Have you ever gone over to a friend's house and seen people walking around with those glasses on while watching a game or movie?  I have only seen it in commercials and they never even show that anymore.  No one is really into it.  Maybe in the theaters but that is it. 
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 11:51:06 pm »

I have NEVER once seen anyone watching it.  EVER.  Not once.  Have you ever gone over to a friend's house and seen people walking around with those glasses on while watching a game or movie?  I have only seen it in commercials and they never even show that anymore.  No one is really into it.  Maybe in the theaters but that is it. 

I know a few.

apgood

• World Citizen

I watch the occasional movie in 3D, so I would be good if it were incorporated. That way I wouldn't needed to use one of the other commercial players.

rjm

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:27 am »

I learned from this thread that you have to wear glasses. I thought with all the recent hype that maybe they'd come up with a glassless technology. I won't be wearing any stinking glasses, ever.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 02:52:30 am »

There is glassesless 3D version, completely different technology though. It doesn't work that well though and the sweetspot is even smaller than with glasses.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:08 am »

Just because one person doesn't know anyone who uses it,  doesn't mean it isn't popular.

But the fact is it's everywhere these days.   More and more you see on TV commercials for movies coming out "in 3D", etc.   Again I point to the  Black & White vs Color  idea.   Just because you or your circle of friends don't have / use it yet,   doesn't mean it is not in use and gaining a following.   There could be all kinds of factors at play as to why someone does or does not own / use 3D.

Frankly,  I don't find the glasses very annoying.  My brother has one of the newer Samsungs in his room,  and I happened to pass by when Green Lantern was playing,  so he gave me the glasses.   Even in a low ambient light, they did not feel super dark, and they were VERY lightweight.  I was surprised how light they were.

But like I said, it's not really my thing,  I grinned for a couple minutes and moved on.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

I already own two 3D displays and would like to have JRiver support for 3D
The Future is Remote!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up