INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Recording In Selected File Format  (Read 1391 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Not Recording In Selected File Format
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »

In Tools/Options/TV under Recording format I have ts selected. For some reason it's recorded files are .jtv.

Rod

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Not Recording In Selected File Format
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »

Were you using the tuner when you made the change?

This is probably one of those little things that can be improved.  If you were using the tuner when you made the change, the change will not take effect until the next time the tuner is used (Stop and restart the channel).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »

Were you using the tuner when you made the change?

This is probably one of those little things that can be improved.  If you were using the tuner when you made the change, the change will not take effect until the next time the tuner is used (Stop and restart the channel).

When I first noticed this I hadn't made any changes. It was set for ts but was recording as jtv. So I have now tried changing it to jtv and back to ts. have stopped and restarted MC and the HDPVR aand it only seems to record in jtv. Not a big one here as I may want to continue with jtv - haven't decided that one yet. Just thought you might want to know about a problem.

Rod

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:45:03 pm »

Oh, I get it.  ts format is currently only offered for digital tuners.  Most analog tuners do not inherently have the ability to record in ts format, though some do (HD PVR is such one, so it would be nice to offer it in the future),
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »

Oh, I get it.  ts format is currently only offered for digital tuners.  Most analog tuners do not inherently have the ability to record in ts format, though some do (HD PVR is such one, so it would be nice to offer it in the future),

Hi Yaobing,

Thanks for the explanation.

This is not at all good news though. I am just learning that Comskip in MC will NOT work on jtv files, only ts files. So this means that we cant use Comskip. Knowing that Comskip was being implemented in MC was a big part of my final decision to switch from SageTV.

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:03:00 pm »

ComSkip works with any video format in Media Center.

However, Media Center does not automatically generated EDLfiles.  You will have to generate them yourself, at which point Media Center will honor them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

However, Media Center does not automatically generated EDLfiles.  You will have to generate them yourself, at which point Media Center will honor them.

That's good news Matt. I could have sworn I read somewhere here that Comskip would not work with jtv files.

I understand that at this point MC does not generate edl files. It is certainly beyond me to do it though. This is being discussed in the Comskip thread of the MC17 Forum. We certainly need somebody to come up with a way of generating them in MC though for Comskip to be functional.

Thanks for getting back to me and for the explanation.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:45:35 pm »

However, Media Center does not automatically generated EDLfiles.  You will have to generate them yourself, at which point Media Center will honor them.

Matt - What I had read about Comskip was in the long MC17 Comskip thread. Two different posters said they did not believe that Comskip would work with jtv files. They were probably referring to the generation of the edl files by Comskip.

Do you know that Comskip can work with a jtv file (outside of MC) to generate an edl file?

Thank you.

Rod

Later Edit:  I just went to the comskip site and opened their instruction manual. This is what they said about file types:

"Input files

Comskip can operate on 3 types of files. The first file type is an MPEG file. The extension must be mpg, mpeg (for mpeg Program Streams), ts (for mpeg Transport Streams) or dvr-ms for DVR-MS). Maximum resolution is 2000 by 1200 and the content must be MPEG2 video and MPEG2 or AC3 audio as recorded by most mpeg encoders."

So it seems that Comskip can not work to generate the edl file from a jtv recorded file. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up