INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD problems and ASPI -- possible solution?  (Read 521 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
CD problems and ASPI -- possible solution?
« on: May 22, 2002, 05:53:19 am »

[Thanks to Cotton Eyed Loo for posting this in the 8.0.276 thread.  It's possible that some CD drives may work better with Adaptec's ASPI.]

had a problem with the ASPI layer that MJ installed for me when I was using 7.2. I uninstalled the current ASPI layer [LSI I think] and installed the Adaptect one instead (they say it don't work with win2k/winxp - but they aren't completely right). Using the Adaptect ASPI fixed my problem [couldn't rip from my SCSI plextor drive]. I have recently migrated to a new machine and recovered/rebuilt everything and I decided to upgrade to MJ8 beta (275 was the first I installed). When I went to rip my first CD (John Lithgow's "Singing in The Bathtub" [I can't type it without laughing]) MJ offered to install an ASPI layer and I said yes.

At this point everything was perfect but ripping gave me a weird error (open drive failed, paramter ..... - sound familiar?). I uninstalled the easy installed ASPI layer and installed the adaptect one. Poof I'm golden.

I really have no idea why one worked and the other didn't. This is not a comment on the ASPI layer MJ installs [LSI??]. Adaptect says using their's on win2k/xp is a bad bad thing to do (and it won't "let you" install it if you don't have an adaptect controller).
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up