INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Add New Category in Left Tree payne  (Read 3046 times)

rgadawg

• Recent member
How To Add New Category in Left Tree payne
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:16:19 am »

How can I add a completely new category in the tree payne.  Say Movies, but not a sub category of "Video" where they get all mixed together. I want only Movies in "Movies" and only Music Videos in "Videos" ??  Thanks. MC17 working great.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How To Add New Category in Left Tree payne
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:47:28 am »

If your asking about the Standard View, just right click on the header and put a "check mark" next to the property you want to see. Or do you mean create a custom category?
Or, if not the Standard View, perhaps you meant this:
From the Wiki:
Adding a custom view scheme group to the tree

Why would you do this?

By default, MEDIA CENTER does not provide a means for the user to list all media types within a single view scheme. It does, however, provide a little known path for adding our own root tree items, which can, if we want, show the entire contents of the library in one place.

How would you do this?

To add a custom root tree item, start by selecting a 'non library' tree item such as Playing Now or Start. Next, click on 'Edit' in the top toolbar. (Where you see File | Edit | View | Player | Tools | Help ) From the edit list, click on "Add View Scheme" to launch the "Edit View Scheme" dialogue box, and then fill it out as desired. If you leave "Step 4" empty, the resulting view scheme will list every file present in your library, so you might find the [file type] field makes a helpful choice for your first pane. I'm sure you can see that by placing filters in "Step 4", it's possible to create very specific, purpose built view schemes. Once you're done, click the OK button and see your new view scheme appear in the tree.

The only word of caution I'd offer is not to add too many of these as things may become overly 'busy' and there's also the possibility that too many root items could begin to slow down your overall MEDIA CENTER experience. Remember, you can right click your new tree entry and add child view schemes if you like.

Example

I made one called "workshop" where I do all my library maintainence...

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:38:14 am »

Thanks, In MC17, it's under > VIEW > ADD VIEW > ADD LIBRARY VIEW > which creates a root menu item just fine, but the new menu item inherits the same ol' library as my "videos" menu items does.  I need the newly created "Movies" menu item to use a library with ONLY  the movies, and the Videos menu item to use ONLY the "music videos"

Kinda silly to create a new root menu item that holds the exact same library items

I tried deleting the Movie items, but that of course removed all the items from my Video collection also, now, where was that backup ?

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:56:19 pm »

Views are views of the Library. Any view can be configured to view anything included in the Library. Use Rules for file display to specify what files are to be visible in the view.

As you've discovered, Delete doesn't mean "remove from view." It means "delete from Library." And if you ask it to, it will also delete the file the record is about.

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:32:21 pm »

Okay, after some playing around. What you have to do is Add a New Library, set it up, then switch between the two different libraries from "Playing Now" > Load Library.  I guess I was looking for a way to click "Video" and get one folder of my videos, and then just click another root menu item, or even VIEW, and get the "Movies" library. Oh well, awesome software. not complaining.

PS we're WAY past the deleting from library vs. deleting from file system.  The backup, restore stuff you people have in place is great. I get to really screw around, and go right back in fet clicks, when I screw something up ?

Thanks for your suggestion.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:09 am »

Okay, after some playing around. What you have to do is Add a New Library, set it up, then switch between the two different libraries from "Playing Now" > Load Library.

No. Unless you have a very good reason to keep the media separate, you should use one library. That's an important capability of the program—it's able to manage all types of media in one library. In "playing around," I assume you didn't find the Rules for file display. Right-click on any view in the tree and select Customize View. Under Settings, click Rules for file display. Set the rules to include the files you want to see in the view.

If you want one view (root or otherwise) for movies and another for all other video, then use the rules [Media Sub Type] is [Movie] for the Movie view and [Media Type] is [Video] and [Media Sub Type] is not [Movie] for the Other Video view. If you're lucky, the program will correctly identify movies on import and set [Media Sub Type] to [Movie]. If it doesn't, enter it manually—so they'll show up where you expect them to.

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:13:43 am »

But, the movies & music videos are all files with very similar file extensions (if that's what you mean by type).  I need to assign different Directories, to the "Video" root item, and a completely different directory(s) to the "Movies" root item.  It's ok if both "video" view and "movies" view are under one root menu item like "Videos"

I feel like I'm missing something in your comment, when I use a single library and try to separate them by "Filename (Path)" all directories get mixed together in the Main Library, and the "movies" view keeps having to rebuild itself every time I start up.

rgadawg

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:46:30 am »

MC17 won't do it without creating a new library for each of the set of folder(s) I want included in the chosen display.  It doesn't have the capacity to create separate root menu items, and attach completely different sets of folder(s) to 2 different root menu items "Videos" , "Movies" without mixing them up.  Only way I've found is to switch between libraries, which is an easy right click, load. Then you get the desired results. It does it pretty easy, just not like I envisioned it might work.  Views may work for File Types, other attributes, but not entire Directories attached to different root item.

This way works fine, switching libraries is easy. click play from ..., right click the library you want "Videos" , "Movies" then all organizes fine without mixing up all the directories and combining them into one library, which means my "videos" and "movies" show up under one root category "Videos"

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

It doesn't have the capacity to create separate root menu items, and attach completely different sets of folder(s) to 2 different root menu items "Videos" , "Movies" without mixing them up.

You're mistaken. But if you're happy using separate libraries, fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up