INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What I'm trying to accomplish...  (Read 1117 times)

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
What I'm trying to accomplish...
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:38:20 am »

Ok, so here's what should be a pretty basic question, but right now my test rig is at work and I haven't had time to play with networked PCs at home yet because we just moved.

Up until this point, I've been running a Zacate based HTPC on my plasma.  Windows 7 64-bit with MediaBrowser/WMC as my front end.  The HTPC rarely gets brought out of WMC to the desktop.  We have several other computers in the house for computer stuff, so the HTPC is just for video.

When I rip movies and whatnot, I push them to the HTPC from my Z68 rig over the network and Homegroup shared directories.  Say I rip a couple of movies to their proper folders on the HTPC, all I need to do is back out of MediaBrowser via remote (the keyboard is rarely used too) and back into MediaBrowser and the new media is there for play.  This is really nice when my 4-year-old is waiting for me to get content pushed.

What I HAVEN'T been able to play around with yet with JRiver is can I do the same thing with MC?  Can I push video or audio to the HTPC where JRiver is running and have it show up, or do I need to exit TheaterView and run an Auto-Import or something like that?  I have my video broken into Kids Movies, DVD Movies, etc via Genre, so they all show up where I want them to in the menu.  Is it possible to remotely control the library or would I need to do it via keyboard/mouse on the HTPC?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: What I'm trying to accomplish...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:36 am »

New content in Auto import folders should be imported automagically within a few minutes tops. So, yes, this can be done, and it can be done in a more elegant way than the one you're using with Mediabrowser today. You already know about the new Tag on import feature, so you just add directories with your different categories as a separate auto import for all, and tag your media accordingly.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: What I'm trying to accomplish...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:50 am »

Automagically.  Nice.  I wasn't sure if the "Auto-Import" was truly "auto" and constantly monitored folders or not.  Seems like if it does, I just need to get the Auto-Import set up correctly and I should be golden.  Yeah, I know about Tag-On-Import, I think I had a hand in getting that ball rolling.

It seems that I won't be needing the TV portion of MC as I just can't for the life of me get a decent antenna signal at our new place, so I'm trying to justify the purchase of MC since MB/WMC did what I needed it to do.

I don't have many MKV files at all because it wasn't an elegant solution in WMC/MB, although I am intrigued by converting my few BD rips to MKV and perhaps start ripping my movies into MKV because it seems like it might be a container that's easier on the file-system.

I also was never able to get my new Onkyo receiver to show the TrueHD or DTS-MA lights no matter what I configured with WMC/MB/TMT3, so if I could get MC to do it, it would make the audio geek in me very happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up