INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multimedia Keys and Media Jukebox 8...  (Read 874 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Multimedia Keys and Media Jukebox 8...
« on: May 22, 2002, 05:30:24 am »

Lots of people have reported sporadic behavior of their multimedia keys with Media Jukebox 8.

It appears that the only way for Media Jukebox to recieve all the multimedia keystrokes is a system-wide hook -- something we don't think is worth it. (system hooks hurt the speed and stability of the whole system)

However, most keyboard vendors offer updated drivers that will forward multimedia keystrokes to any running program.  So if you have a Microsoft keyboard, install the latest IntelliType.  For other vendors, dig around a little at their site.

Hopefully this is an alright solution...

Thanks everyone,

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
RE:Multimedia Keys and Media Jukebox 8...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 05:39:22 am »

The problem I found was that the manufacturers drivers were complete and utter bloatware so I ended up writing my own small proggy that forwards the keypresses ... but it also uses a system wide hook as that is the only way guaranteed to get notified of them Next Page

Can't you just enable it and provide an option to switch it off if it causes problems?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 05:54:02 am »

Hey Rhino,

Very true about the bloatware in the keyboard drivers.

And about the system hook, we have it written, and it seems to work.  However, we won't unroll it until the next beta phase (8.1 or 9.0) because it's too risky now.

Maybe you could get people hooked on the program you wrote to forward the keys.  

Otherwise, a quick search at download.com turns up a bunch of utilities that may do the trick.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 06:00:30 am »

I'm personally quite happy to wait till you release your hook ... after all mine works Next Page ... but if anyone wants the source to my proggy they are more than welcome to try it.

Drop me an email at jamie@jdnet.co.uk

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2002, 01:38:26 am »

I cannot say that the behavior is "sporadic" but instead completely predictable: every media key works as it should, only the play/pause key additionally pops up a dialog window from the keyboard driver (and only if MJ is in the background).

I'm using the latest IntelliType driver (2.11) and other programs (e. g. Winamp 2.78) can be controlled by the keys without problems. Therefore this is probably a MJ problem that should be solvable with some debugging...
Pages: [1]   Go Up