INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging media sub-types  (Read 10839 times)

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
Tagging media sub-types
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:18:26 am »

I have all sorts of media sub-types in my video library: tv shows, movies, home videos etc., each media type is stored in it's own folder.  For example, my TV shows folder has sub-folders for the different TV shows.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I have to manually tag all media types and subtypes which is a bit of a pain. I enter the information manually to specify a media sub-type (e.g., TV show) and I then enter the TV show title in the Album field. Other media centres allow the user to choose a folders for each media type and it then auto-tags the media within that folder. For example, all video files in the TV show folder are recognised as such. It would also be nice if JRiver MC could auto-tag different tv series going by the sub-folder name. At the moment I have to enter this information manually. Can JRiver do that, or perhaps it does this already and I haven't realised?

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging media sub-types
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:50:03 am »

You could set up an auto-import rule for each folder for each series and add a tag for each folder. That would be quite straightforward. If you give us the folder structure, then someone clever can probably produce an expression to do this automatically for each folder. MrC??

Tools->import->auto import

SBR

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:04:16 am »

Thanks for your reply SBR. Please see the attached image showing the sub-folder structure of my video folder. I'll be grateful for any help offered  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:09 am »

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

I have to manually tag all media types and subtypes which is a bit of a pain.

Unfortunately, in it's attempt to be fully automatic, MC can end up being more cumbersome than a straightforward system you tell what folders each media sub type is stored in. MC guesses the sub type based on length. If it tends to be wrong, you would have to add an import rule that sets the sub type (e.g., a rule for your !TV folder that sets [Media Sub Type]=[TV Show]).

It would also be nice if JRiver MC could auto-tag different tv series going by the sub-folder name.

As a completely separate matter, MC sets tags on import by parsing the file pathname. In this case, all the logic used is hard coded—there's nothing you can configure that will help it recognize your file pathnames better. Having said that, I believe it should be able to get the Series from your folder name—if it recognizes the filename as that of an episode. For example, if your file path is something like !TV\[Series]\S00E00 [Name].ext, I would expect it should work. If it doesn't, your choices are to request that it be modified to recognize the pattern you're using, or modify your pattern to something that works.

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 06:13:19 pm »

Unfortunately, in it's attempt to be fully automatic, MC can end up being more cumbersome than a straightforward system
I completely agree with this part of your point. JRiver MC does many clever things and the audio quality is very good. But it is too clever for its own good sometimes

I believe it should be able to get the Series from your folder name—if it recognizes the filename as that of an episode. For example, if your file path is something like !TV\[Series]\S00E00 [Name].ext, I would expect it should work. If it doesn't, your choices are to request that it be modified to recognize the pattern you're using, or modify your pattern to something that works.
Unfortunately, JRiver MC doesn't guess the series from my folder names. I am sure that there are many good reason why MC was made the way it is but for me to process of importing files, setting rule, tweaking them to work etc. involves too much hassle

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:02 pm »

This should help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
I had a look at the import WiKi and I am clear about how to let JRiver MC know that it should import audio files from the Music folder and video file formats from the TV folder. I use MC16 and in my folder setting dialogue box doesn't have the 'apply this tag' option!

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »

I completely agree with this part of your point. JRiver MC does many clever things and the audio quality is very good. But it is too clever for its own good sometimes

I wasn't generalizing, but referring very specifically how MC17 (where you originally posted this topic) tags on import. Upgrade—then you may agree with me. ;)

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:49 am »

I wasn't generalizing, but referring very specifically how MC17 (where you originally posted this topic) tags on import. Upgrade—then you may agree with me. ;)
Same here yukibarr - I was referring to MC17. For what you wanted MC17 is truly the way forward.

SBR

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 04:34:24 am »

Thanks you both. I'll upgrade as you suggested
Pages: [1]   Go Up