INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip and proper playback of older DTS-encoded CDs?  (Read 1135 times)

Kong

Rip and proper playback of older DTS-encoded CDs?
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:37 pm »

For a while DTS ran its own record label (DTS Entertainment) on which they released DTS-encoded surround recordings on CDs. The bitstream from those discs via the Oppo BDP-93 and HDMI is correctly decoded as DTS by my pre-pro, yiledling quite nice mutichannel playback.

Unfortunately, the same discs ripped by MC 17 (which sees the discs as CDs) play back as two-channel hiss, typical of feeding the DTS signals into a plain CD decoder. I know these DTS CDs are rare, but wonder if MC 17 can be taught to recognize the DTS bitstream and rip them properly.

I ask because I see that MC 17 will play the more recent (and nicely lossless) DTS-MA, and that format does contain the original lossy DTS bitstream (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Rip and proper playback of older DTS-encoded CDs?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »

Media Center should support playback of DTS WAV files.  Media Center will decode to PCM not bitstream (just like with all other audio), but since you use HDMI, that shouldn't be an issue.  You may need to use .dts as the file extension.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Kong

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »

Thanks, but so far it's not working. I went to Options-Video and set bitstreaming to HDMI. I re-ripped a DTS album to uncompressed WAV files. After that still produced noise, I changed the extension on a file to .dts, unfortunately with no good result. Suggestions?

Kong

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »

OK, it's working now. I'd forgotten that I had all source material up-rezzed to 196/24. Setting all the DSP options back to "Source..." permitted the DTS signals to get through and be properly decoded by the pre-pro. It was not necessary to change the .wav extension to .dts on these files. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up