INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For JRiver Management to Consider - Cable TV Tuner Support  (Read 1492 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
For JRiver Management to Consider - Cable TV Tuner Support
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »

People make feature requests.

I am only asking you consider supporting Cable TV Tuners. I assume the legal and financial hurdles were enomous, but apparently not so much. The following text was posted on AVS and details the technical and licensing requirement to support something like the Ceton IniniTV devices.. Most of this would include the SiliconDust Ocur Cable Tuners as well.
===================================

There is no CableLabs license required to receive content from the InfiniTV. All you need to do is implement the DRI (to get video at all/tuner control) and implement PlayReady (to get Copy Once) content. The DRI spec is at http://www.cablelabs.org/specificati...I04-100910.pdf

Regarding PlayReady, you will need a PlayReady license from MS. Details are at http://www.microsoft.com/playready/l...echnology.mspx
PlayReady requires a $5,000 "one-time license" fee and "$10,000 certificate fee" for each "major release"

While it's not free, I don't think that's unreasonably high. However, keep in mind that implementing PlayReady will require meeting the terms of that license agreement (protecting the content all the way through, etc).

I think its very likely that InfiniTV content will be accessible by things other than Media Center in the future.

Regarding the SageTV people, it is my understanding that the CEO is draconianly against DRM. Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on them doing it for that reason, though I agree that they would otherwise be an excellent candidate.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: For JRiver Management to Consider - Cable TV Tuner Support
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:57 am »

+1

I am running Windows 7 Media Center in my house with Xbox extenders throughout the house.

Would the idea of streaming to the Xboxes even be a possibility?

I've been using JRiver for years as the backbone of my multi zone system in my house. Within the past few weeks my interest is increasing for MC since stumbling upon Gizmo.

With an intuitive enough interface, I could be persuaded to dump MCE. I really like the ability to stream to my device and direct the video and sound throughout the house. The Xboxes can pull content from the server, but I would like the ability to "push" the content to a zone. Granted, I can flip on my Xbox in my bedroom and select a playlist, but I want to be able to push it to the zone using a tablet or phone.
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up