INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Directshow selection method be made Zone-specific?  (Read 2082 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Can Directshow selection method be made Zone-specific?
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:58:22 am »

Hi,

I'd like to run Red October HQ with external filters in my home theatre, and Red October Standard in my living room. Is it possible to make the Red October mode Zone specific in Options? I obviously use a zone for each room.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can Directshow selection method be made Zone-specific?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:07:07 am »

I do not think you can do that. This setting kind of stick to the graphics card in the HTPC and therefore only have one setting across zones.

Is your HTPC connected to two TVs in two different rooms ? If you stream video via DLNA, RO isn't used at all.

audunth

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:07:03 am »

Why shouldn't this setting be specific to each zone when most other settings are? For example the audio settings.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:27 am »

I have not seen any configurations where you can show two different videos on separate monitors one one computer. (interresting thought though)
I think the setting is hardware specific and therefore it does not make sense to differentiate across zones.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:14 pm »

I have not seen any configurations where you can show two different videos on separate monitors one one computer. (interresting thought though)

You can easily do this with separate zones and detached displays.  I've run 10 videos at the same time with MC.

I'd like to run Red October HQ with external filters in my home theatre, and Red October Standard in my living room. Is it possible to make the Red October mode Zone specific in Options? I obviously use a zone for each room.

This is a good idea.

Just to be sure... You've checked and it doesn't work, right?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

audunth

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:28:16 pm »

I actually don't need to view video on two screens at the same time, at least not for now. But when I use my living room tv, I use one zone, and for the theatre I use another zone, because I use different settings for each room, for example for audio (2ch analog in the living room vs 7.1 HDMI in the theatre). I'm about to hook up my living room tv too, in which I'll use a third zone.

Now, the settings for individual filter selection (if one of the advanced modes is selected) ARE zone specific, so I can't really see any reason why the Directshow selection method also could be.

Glynor, yes, I have tried changing settings and flipping between zones, and the DS selection method is global.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

Yeah... It would be cool to be able to have zones to switch back and forth quickly between ROST and ROHQ (or various custom settings) too, even if you are just using it on one display.

Glynor, yes, I have tried changing settings and flipping between zones, and the DS selection method is global.

Bummer.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »

You can easily do this with separate zones and detached displays.
Amazing ! I am really happy to learn new stuff about MC.  :) For curiosity, how do you connect TVs/monitors in separate rooms ? The vga/dvi cable only goes 5 meters and the hdmi 10 ?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »

Amazing ! I am really happy to learn new stuff about MC.  :) For curiosity, how do you connect TVs/monitors in separate rooms ? The vga/dvi cable only goes 5 meters and the hdmi 10 ?
There are 15m HDMI 1.4 cables available
You could also search for HDMI over IP, DVI over IP, USB over IP etc if you don't mind the costs.
In most cases a LAN/WiFi/Power LAN connection with clients is the easiest way for distribution. Extra long A/V cables not so much
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »

For curiosity, how do you connect TVs/monitors in separate rooms ? The vga/dvi cable only goes 5 meters and the hdmi 10 ?

HD-SDI.

Cheap coax cable and BNC connectors.  RG6 will go 285 feet easily (check Table 1).  Get one of these for the send end, and one of these for the receive end.

If you need to, there are repeaters and whatnot, but you can usually solve problems by using higher-quality cabling (or dual HD-SDI, but that kit is very expensive).

You can also push VGA cables way longer than 5 meters if you use high-quality cabling and amplify the signal at one end.  But that doesn't carry audio.

audunth

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:49:18 am »

Okay, did a workaround today. Selected RO HQ with additional filters, then I had to go through each file type for each zone and set JRiver Engine with automatic everything for Zone 1 (theatre) and Enhanced Video Renderer for Zone 2 (living room). Defalut renderer is set to MadVR (this is also global, if not, that would be an easy solution) so now I finally get everything playing with MadVR in the theatre and EVR on the living room LCD.

Needless to say, an unnecessarily time consuming operation, which would have been done in a few seconds if the DS selection method was zone specific, or even the default renderer.

The reason for using different renderers is that in the living room I have to adjust the colors a little, because the TV doesn't allow adjusting colors on the VGA input. And the VGA input is the only one that supports 1:1 pixel mapping, so HDMI isn't an option. In the theatre, colors has to be as neutral as possible from the PC, since it's professionally calibrated. Being able to use DXVA in the living room where I don't need the extra PQ of MadVR is an added bonus.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up