INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to turn off iPod detection  (Read 2371 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
How to turn off iPod detection
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

I'm using the latest version of MC17 and it keeps telling me my iPod cannot be properly identified. Please check for an updated version of Media Center.

MC does not support my iPod which is fine - i use iTunes to sync it along with all my apple devices (multiple iPods, iPhones, iPads, ...).

So how do I tell MC to ignore it. I do not like getting info messages continually popping up.

Note: when I open up options and go to handhelds it says no handhelds are present.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to turn off iPod detection
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »

Right-click the device and pick 'Remove & Ignore'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »

I thought I had done that in the past, but when I tried right clicking on the device I did not see that option, therefore this post. Maybe my memory is going. Is this the right place to do the right click?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:35 am »

This is off the top of my head and maybe a little out of date, but I used to rename a file called handheld.dll to something else and that did the trick permanently.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:07:35 am »

Sorry, not handheld.dll, it's called "hh_portable.dll" and it's in Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins.

I've not noticed any side effects by doing this, but I can imagine it's not officially sanctioned advice, and it will likely prevent MC from detecting other non-Apple devices also.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:12:46 am »

Sorry, not handheld.dll, it's called "hh_portable.dll" and it's in Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins.

I've not noticed any side effects by doing this, but I can imagine it's not officially sanctioned advice, and it will likely prevent MC from detecting other non-Apple devices also.

The plot thickens.

Note my prior post asking if I was in the right place to do the 'right click' to 'Remove & Ignore' the iPod. The only place I could see the iPod was under Explorer.

Now I renamed hh_portable.dll and the iPod shows up under devices and under Explorer. Under devices I can do the 'right click' to 'Remove & Ignore' the iPod. If I choose 'Remove & Ignore' the iPod disappears, but it comes back again after I restart MC. I guess this is because I renamed hh_portable.dll.

After renaming hh_portable.dll I no longer get the info message telling me my iPod cannot be properly identified.

So my guess is there is a problem with hh_portable.dll. It should be checking to see if the device was marked as 'Remove & Ignore' and if so it should no longer try to identify it and produce the message I see.

In any case I have a workaround. Thanks for that prod :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »

Renaming hh_portable.dll works, but of course it comes back every time you do do an update or re install MC.

EDIT:
I'm still watching it but I think I got it working OK. I did the following:
1) renamed hh_portable.dll
2) restarted MC, the iPod showed up in the tree
3) Redetected all devices - not sure this did anything as the iPod was already in the device list
4) Right-click the device and pick 'Remove & Ignore'
5) Renamed hh_portable.dll back
6) Restarted MC

After this procedure I'm no longer getting the info message.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »

Restarted PC and restarted MC. The problem is back.

The iPod does not show up under devices.

I get the info message saying my iPod cannot be properly identified. Please check for an updated version of Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up