INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The advantages of WASAPI over Direct Sound  (Read 33530 times)

qdfb

• Recent member
The advantages of WASAPI over Direct Sound
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:53 am »

I'm a new user of MC.  I'm feeding a pair of ADM9T's + Subwoofer from a Realtek card on a Gigabytye motherboard in a PC running Win 7 64 bit.

Now the point is just how superior I have found WASAPI Event mode over the Direct Sound output that is the default setting.  It moves the sound from decent computer audio to genuine high end high fidelity.  So important is the difference that I would recommend some kind of a pop up when the program is first installed so that those who have the option can use ASIO or WASAPI and dump Direct Dound at the first opportunity.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The advantages of WASAPI over Direct Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:19:48 am »

Now the point is just how superior I have found WASAPI Event mode over the Direct Sound output that is the default setting.  It moves the sound from decent computer audio to genuine high end high fidelity.  So important is the difference that I would recommend some kind of a pop up when the program is first installed so that those who have the option can use ASIO or WASAPI and dump Direct Dound at the first opportunity.

Read a bit more on this forum and you'll see threads about difficulties in getting WASAPI to work.  Audio output devices don't all work the same with respect to WASAPI exclusive mode.  A bit of configuration is sometimes needed.

DirectSound almost always works out of the box.  That makes it an easy place to start.  Optimizing can be done as a new user is ready.

Bill

qdfb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:52 am »

I have used Wasapi on three diffferent machines and it has worked perfecty first time on each - must be lucky!

Wilhelm Kabus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »

Hi! Is your output from the soundcard "sound" or digital signals for external conversion?

gio_b

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:52:46 am »

for me easy too,i use an art legato ,and performaces are very nice vs foobar,but a lot of problem to manage the library.....tag and so on,with foobar everythink O.K. and more easy,for me,but MC sound just a little better...for my taste in myfy,more tube like,foobar more...spectral;so depend on your taste and yourfy...new on MC so i'll try more.
giovanni

qdfb

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:49 am »

I should have explained that my "main" system runs MC17 on a small, unbranded Win 7 32bit touch screen laptop (looks like an oversized iPhone) with Atom processor.  This has 3 USB ports, and one of them has a HiFace USB - S/PDIF converter plugged in, which feeds a digital signal up to 24bit/192hz to a Musical /fidelity DAC, then to the amplifier and then the speakers. This is a different system from the one I mentioned in my first post where I do not use a HiFace, but a toslink connector from the desktop machine.

The touchscreen laptop works well wth MC17 in theatre mode and I use WASAPI event mode.  Most of the time I now control MC17 remotely over my LAN using an Android phone (Samsung Note) and the Gizmo app for MC17 downloaded from the Android store.

Quentin

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »

What is the difference between "plain" WASAPI mode and WASAPI - event ?

Thx

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

Push and pull to the device or from it.  But some devices work well with one or the other.  Both are good.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up