INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsampling or converting 192KHz  (Read 4987 times)

ddetaey

Downsampling or converting 192KHz
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:53 am »

As my DAC supports up to 176.4kHz , I have to downsample files recorded in 192KHz sample rate.

1) in MC, is it better to downsample to 96kHZ as this is a round multiple (divided by 2) or is it better to downsample to 176,4kHZ?

2) in general, is it better to downsample in real time, or is it better to convert file offline to a (in this case) lower sample rate, and to offer the music player the supported format to begin with?

Thanks for your advise

Dirk

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Downsampling or converting 192KHz
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

For #2, it's better to do all DSP in real-time in my opinion.  Store the highest possible source file you can, and apply changes during playback, conversion, etc.  If you're a photo guy, this is a bit like using parametric image editing so you always have a perfect copy of the original.

For #1, it's splitting hairs.  Both will sound indistinguishable from the original.  For fun, you might use DSP Studio > Analyzer and set it to watch those really high frequencies.  In most high sample rate material, there's simply no energy at the really high frequencies.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:21:17 pm »

i have been thinking about this myself.  My Juli@ card only wont output over 96K via Toslink.  So what to do with the few 192 albums from HDTracks??

Would it be possible to have MC downsample anything 192 down to 96, BUT ONLY do that.  Everything else would play at its native rate.

Thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

If you have 17.0.31 from the top of the board, then you can specify your output sample rate for each input sample rate.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

If you have 17.0.31 from the top of the board, then you can specify your output sample rate for each input sample rate.

Sorry, totally off topic, but...

How do you get your images to show up as attachments like that, where you can click to expand, but not expanded at first.  I cannot find any "add attachment" dialogs, or places to upload one.  I seem many members use this, but I just can't see how/where.

Is it only available to the beta team?  It seems to be them that I see using this.

sorry, back on topic...
pretend this is something funny

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:59:13 pm »

You have to pay extra for that feature.  ;D

If you click Additional Options you can can then attach files.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »

Yeah, not available to me now, and not worth paying for.  No big deal, I figured as much, thanks for confirming.

Back to your thread, sorry again.  :-[
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up