INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll broken  (Read 2801 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Poll broken
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »

You can change your vote.

"Two" wasn't an option, Jim.

[Edit by JimH -- Link to the poll ]

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Poll broken
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:33 pm »

Yeah, he messed that up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Poll broken
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »

I noticed that too - and it would have been the most accurate answer for me. Kinda funny when Jim mentioned he suspected most users would answer at least two.

MrHaugen

Poll broken
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:04:41 am »

I can't find an option for Music and Video only :(
Would not multiple answers give the best results here? So you can select all that you use.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
Poll broken
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:47 am »

I can't find an option for Music and Video only :(
Would not multiple answers give the best results here? So you can select all that you use.

+1

MrHaugen

Poll broken
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:14:36 am »

This will give some very strange results I think. Most people will use MC for more than one thing, and hence choosing the alternative with the "Three above". And there will be items here that many do not use. Things I would consider adding in a multiple choice poll:

What alternatives describes your use of J River Media Center the best?
Audio
Video
Images
TV
Docs
Online Services
Mostly in Theater View
Mostly in Standard View

I can recommend this tool for surveys: http://www.kwiksurveys.com/. It's free and surveys can be built exactly how you want. It got plenty of options and results can be studied in many ways. It's great if you want to know exactly what the users use MC for today, and what they want to in the future. A simple post like this one does not tell you much about the latter.

I could make an example for you if your interested. It could help you a great deal in planning ahead.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Poll broken
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:53 am »

Yes, I think a comprehensive list where many options are selectable would be the most informative.

Getting many/most owners to actually fill-out the poll in order to get a decent sample size is the biggest challenge.  Maybe a 25-cent discount off the upgrade price?  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:43 am »

We've already learned something very important.

Here are the numbers so far:
Audio only  22.5%
Video only   5.6%
Three or more   71.9%

The audio only users are an important sub-set of our customers, but they are clearly in the minority. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:39 am »

The audio only users are an important sub-set of our customers, but they are clearly in the minority. 

Exactly.  Even if it was a little messed up, it was a useful exercise anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:37 am »

True. But some might even have chosen this "Audio only" or "Two above" answer before the last choice came up. If the reason only was to see how many users was audio only, then the poll might give an "ok" idea of the actual situation. Otherwise it's a bit inaccurate to put it mildly :)

I'm doing a survey for another purpose this days and I just wanted to give you an quick example of a Survey that would give you MUCH more useful responses. The choice of words and options might not be the best. I did this in 5 minutes. It's just an example of something that can help you decide what directions to take. The results can be open or closed, the response limited to one IP address and so on.

http://kwiksurveys.com?u=jrivertest

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:00 am »

The wording of the poll notwithstanding, I wonder whether 82 responses represents a sample size which allows you to draw any statistically significant conclusion at all...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21:13 am »

fancy.

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:27 am »

It might be a good idea to start a new poll with all the good suggestion implemented and make it 'sticky' so more forum users can participate.

With all the new users discovering JRiver lately it seems like a good way for you guys to get the pulse of your users to direct your development efforts most effectively.

Rick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:39:30 am »

The wording of the poll notwithstanding, I wonder whether 82 responses represents a sample size which allows you to draw any statistically significant conclusion at all...
In past polls, once the voting gets to about 20 people, the percentages don't change a lot.

vagskal

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:01 am »

That might be so, but is there any (many) MC user who is _not_ using MC for audio? I do not think the survey is designed to give you a real answer to the question how important the audio part of MC in fact is.

(I answered audio only although I do not really even use MC for audio playback since I prefer my Squeezeboxes for that and I have not found a full quality practical  way of using MC as a front end for Squeezebox playback. Should I begin to use a PC for video or tv, I would definitely check out MC first.)

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »

The cool thing about such polls is that once you get a good number of answers, you can start playing with it. Import the statistics into this analyzing programs, and you can find out ALL sorts of things. Depending on how well you make the questions, and how deep it goes of course. I don't think you'll ever figure out the actual use and popularity of many features, or pinpoint exactly what most users want, before you have good poll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up