INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto rating (Billboard?)  (Read 2050 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Auto rating (Billboard?)
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:39:34 am »

Anyone know of a way of getting a song or album official peak rating based on somewhere like Billboard? Would be nice to be able to generate a smartlist based on a peak rating, like number one hits of the 90's.

From what I've seen it doesn't look possible but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Vocalpoint

Re: Auto rating (Billboard?)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:30:58 am »

Anyone know of a way of getting a song or album official peak rating based on somewhere like Billboard? Would be nice to be able to generate a smartlist based on a peak rating, like number one hits of the 90's.

From what I've seen it doesn't look possible but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

I just added a custom field called Peak as well as one called Chart. These two allow me to track peak positions on any track on any chart. Manual yes - but once everything has metadata - it's like listening to all my favorite stations at any given time. I currently track about 10 different charts from about 1960 to the present. Makes for lots of fun using playlists.

Cheers,

VP

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:46:34 am »

Here are a couple of threads regarding chart data:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60993.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60906.0

The first obstacle would be to get the chart peak data.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:24:26 pm »

The first obstacle would be to get the chart peak data.

See The Whitburn Project : 120 Years of Music Chart History.

justsomeguy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »

Wow, ok there's a lot of good information here guys.

I was thinking of adding fields for peak position and number of weeks at the peak.

See The Whitburn Project : 120 Years of Music Chart History.

I actually ran across that last night at about 4am. I found the spreadsheet at http://bullfrogspond.com/#
There is an amazing amount of information in that sheet. Now I just need to come up with a fairly easy way of getting that info matched up with my tracks in MC. I kind of like the dummy file idea for the purpose of having the info available in MC even if I don't have the track. The matching up with the tracks I do have with the data though seems like a bit of work to do within MC but not totally unreasonable I guess. I'm thinking I might export my entire MC database and bring it into excel. Then come up with at least a partially automated way of matching tracks to data. Then just import the matches back into MC. Only thing I'm worried about is spelling errors and slightly different naming conventions and matching those with the data, I guess there will some manual work either way.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »

Only thing I'm worried about is spelling errors and slightly different naming conventions and matching those with the data, I guess there will some manual work either way.

Yes, that's what I found (with a different data source). You can, of course, do a lot of automated clean up of the data while preparing the sheet that creates the dummy files. Specifically, if you've used consistent naming conventions in MC, most of those same conventions can be applied to the data. That should reduce the manual work towards what would be required in any case. And as long as the artist name is the same or starts the same, the discrepancies are easy to spot and deal with in a view grouped by Artist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up