INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music files not found after importing  (Read 1272 times)

soundfreakgirl

• I like it loud.....
music files not found after importing
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:00:29 pm »

ok- so i have 17 now- and before that i had 15- and in both- i would upload my music from
my external drive- after i disconnected and restarted computer  and went back to jriver
when i would click on a song it wouldnt play- it said files not found-
this happend with 15 and NOW 17- what am i doing wrong when i imported.....
IM SOOOO CONFUSED- can someone help me with a simple answer or something.......
 :'( ?
s.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: music files not found after importing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:12:59 pm »

The first thing you should do, since you're working with an external drive, is to verify that the drive letters are the same in Media Center's database and the file system, via Windows Explorer. If this is Greek to you, we can start from the beginning. -Jon

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »

It sounds to me like you are attaching your external drive to your PC, opening Media Center, then letting Media Center import the songs into your library. When you disconnect the external drive, your library still shows the songs but can't find them. This is because Media Center is "looking" for the songs where it found them, on your external drive. You can find out for sure by closing 17, connecting your external drive, then opening 17 and trying to play a song. If it plays, life is good.

All you need to do is to either leave the external drive connected or copy the music files to the My Music folder on your PC itself. If you choose to copy the music, you should disconnect the external drive once you finish. You can then change the folders 17 looks in (File>Library>Import) or clear the current library (File>Library>Clear Library) then have 17 auto import again.

soundfreakgirl

• I like it loud.....
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »

sooo yes the music is different drive it was imported Edrive and now its looking for it on the cdrive????
is that right?
what do i do- delete it all and import it a diff way??
s.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:10 pm »

sooo yes the music is different drive it was imported Edrive and now its looking for it on the cdrive???
is that right?
what do i do- delete it all and import it a diff way?

The short answer here is that this really shouldn't happen and you should just kick your computer until it doesn't anymore.

Now, the long answer...
The following is what I have used to successfully get around whatever automagic Windows uses to assign drive letters.

You should note that I DO NOT know anything specific about your system apart from what you've told me. I can't be sure this will work and will not mess up other programs.
But from what you've told me I think it will work and is what I've done myself. If you know of any other programs that access the drive though, be sure that you can take measures to point them to a new drive letter. This shouldn't be a big deal, since the drive letter is already switching on you. Alright, long but important rant over.

Directions, begin:
- Plug in your external drive.
- Right-Click "My Computer", select "Manage".
- In the left-hand pane, go to Storage > Disk Management
- Right-Click your external drive.
- Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths for <your external drive>"
- Click "Change"
- Choose "Assign the following..." bullet.
- Now pick a letter further on in the alphabet. Maybe "M" for music or media.
- Press OK and agree to whatever warnings and prompts Windows throws at you.
- Restart your computer, then verify that the external drive letter is whatever you have chosen.

- Go to the "lost" files in Media Center.
- Delete them from the library, but do not send them to the Recycling Bin or delete them from the file system. (Choose in the dialog box that shows up after you press delete.)
- Now import the songs from your external drive again.

Additionally, in Media Center (if you use auto-import) you should go to Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure Auto-Import. Select the external drive. At the bottom set "Fix broken links" to "No".

That should keep your library in working order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up