INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd File Conversion Problem  (Read 1053 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Odd File Conversion Problem
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:44 pm »

I have an odd problem that I discovered when trying to convert a few FLAC tracks (a couple of disc images and a few individual FLAC files) with my virtual device.  Here's my set-up: 

1.  MC 17.0.33, Windows 7 64 bit
2.  Virtual device called "ItunesSync" that points to a folder called "iPod" which iTunes Folder Watch monitors to import mp3s into iTunes to go on my iPod. 
3.  I "Convert unsupported formats," which in my library are mostly FLAC and APE files, some as disc images (with cue sheet used to import into MC) and some individual files, to VBR mp3 "Extreme."
4.  In terms of workflow, I typically highlight a given album or set of tracks and then Send to ItunesSync and hit "Transfer" to send the new mp3s to my iPod folder and thence to iTunes.  Everything has been going swimmingly until last night, when I tried to convert a couple of disc images and got a) either weird file types from the conversion (don't know what they are--I'd paste a screen shot in here, but I can't seem to get copy/paste with screen shots to work in Chrome or Firefox), files that are decidedly not mp3s or b) some converted tracks, but then some not showing up either in the iPod folder or in J River Conversion Cache folder.  I did try to do a non-Transer/Sync convert with Library Tools, just to the iPod folder itself, without my audio conversion path ([Genre]\[Composer]\[Artist]\[Album]\) in the Handheld options window, and thought the files did convert, many came into iTunes without cover art.  They also initially came into iTunes too as non-VBR Extreme files, but then when I moved them to a folder within my iPod folder, they would show up correctly in iTunes (but again some tracks lacking cover art, tracks which in MC had cover art:  I always embed it in the file itself).  I've only had this problem with discs from 2 different box sets, one of disc images I downloaded somewhere, and one from individual FLAC files I ripped directly into MC.  I should also note that when I had trouble with the latter, I opened the files in MP3Tag and found many of the tags missing, even though the tagging looked perfect within my MC library. 

I'm at a loss as to what could be the problem.  Should I just uninstall/re-install MC? Is this a problem others have had? Is it just strangeness with the files themselves? I've only found it with discs from these two box sets, and I haven't had any issues converting from other programs, like Foobar. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Also:  how do you post screen shots on here?

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Odd File Conversion Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:29:09 pm »

One other thing:  I just tried to add files to a playlist and sync the virtual device from there.  When I was in the virtual device pane, looking at "Details," I watched the files try to be converted and to the right of each one, as MC went through the list, I saw "Error" for each.  Yet the files are playable (I'm listening to the first track now).  Is there a log or something I can look at/send in?

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Odd File Conversion Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:56 pm »

Just noticed something else here when I tried to convert yet another disc image (successfully) from the main box set I'm having problems with:  the successful ones, when I send them to the virtual device to convert, have the button labeled "Sync" instead of "Transfer," which is what I'm getting from the ones that don't work (or half work).  Are the problematic disc images/individual FLAC files not being read as FLAC files, or another type that needs conversion? I have as "Supported Types" "mp3; jpg; m4a."  Is there something screwy with Itunes Folder Watch that someone has heard about/experienced?
Pages: [1]   Go Up