INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from Windows Media Center to MC17  (Read 1206 times)

pahunt

• World Citizen
Switching from Windows Media Center to MC17
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:28 am »

Hi,

Now that video and TV support is coming together nicely, I am looking to move away from Windows Media Center but there is one issue that is holding me back. I have a lot of recordings in WTV and DVR-MS format that I would like to preserve and while I can import these into MC and they play fine the metadata is missing. Now I understand why it is missing, but I am hoping that there is some way to convert the metadata into a format MC can understand.

Thanks,

Paul

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Switching from Windows Media Center to MC17
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:09 am »

Media Center supports WMV tagging.

Do you know if WTV or DVR-MS use the same tagging scheme as WMV?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:52 am »

I don't know for sure if it uses the same format as WMV but the fact that I'm not getting any tags says to me that they don't. Unless of course I need to do something more than just import the files to get it to happen.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:58:19 am »

I don't know for sure if it uses the same format as WMV but the fact that I'm not getting any tags says to me that they don't. Unless of course I need to do something more than just import the files to get it to happen.

Update library from tags won't bring in this metadata either, I've tried for years, but just can't get this info into MC.  As you say, with the focus now on TV, maybe this can change soon.  It's still MUCH easier for the wife to use WMC, so we're stuck with it for recording her stuff for now, still.

**Oh, forgot to mention, one option is to run the wtv files thru the process I wrote up for commercial skipping.  this will give you a .ts version of the program, and an .edl file, which MC will use, giving you the metadata you want, and hands-free commercial skipping.  if you don't want to keep the .wtv file, the process can delete this original file also for you.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67579.0
pretend this is something funny

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:31:44 am »

**Oh, forgot to mention, one option is to run the wtv files thru the process I wrote up for commercial skipping.  this will give you a .ts version of the program, and an .edl file, which MC will use, giving you the metadata you want, and hands-free commercial skipping.  if you don't want to keep the .wtv file, the process can delete this original file also for you.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67579.0

Thanks Justin, I will take a look at that. For me this will only be a one-time process as I intend to use MC17 all the way once I have the metadata in place
Pages: [1]   Go Up