INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New B moving files ??  (Read 2430 times)

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
New B moving files ??
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »

Yes, yet another moving files question...

Dig'n Media Center that's for sure :) and the whole digital music process.

Taking things slow, I have only about 20 albums on interanl HD in FLAC. I purchased an external 1TB drive and would like now to move my library to this new drive. This is a learning process before getting serious about the whole music jukebox thing.

What's the fail safe or most fail safe method of doing the task. I've already copied via drag and drop to my new hd, but have not tried to change anything in MC16....why? because I'm afraid to :)

Is it as simple as deleting the current library in MC16 and reimporting everything??

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: New B moving files ??
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

Get on with it !  :D

A very simple approach could be to 'learn MC' where the new music location is. MC will automatic forget the moved files and discover them on their new location.
If you choose Tools, Options, Library & Folders, Configure auto-import and then add your new location in here.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

If the files are already imported into MC, then select/highlight the files you want to move, right click --> Library Tools --> Rename, Move & Copy files.  Very powerful and I even run it now and again to keep my disc structure nice and clean.
JRiver CEO Elect

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:45:31 pm »

If the files are already imported into MC, then select/highlight the files you want to move, right click --> Library Tools --> Rename, Move & Copy files.  Very powerful and I even run it now and again to keep my disc structure nice and clean.

Oddly enough I was already there. Under Audio-->Albums, I selected an album, right clicked and went to Rename,Move & Copy. I could see the files in the right hand Preview box and the current path in the fields, but could not change or enter anything into those fields. It would not allow it, the "browse" not active. Anyway, I got frustrated and left....which prompted me to post.

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Rename, Move & Copy: Are the fields supposed to be active?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:05 am »

I need some help here! From within R,M&C, If I select the files (right pane), shouldn't I be able to change the path? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:36:21 pm »

If the files are already imported into MC, then select/highlight the files you want to move, right click --> Library Tools --> Rename, Move & Copy files.  Very powerful and I even run it now and again to keep my disc structure nice and clean.

This works great if you don't have any other files (log, booklet scans) on the hard drive along with the music. In that case you would have your music on the external drive but your other files would still be on the internal drive. What I do when I need to do something like that is move the folders manually (using explorer) and then run auto-import. MC will recognize that the files have moved and will update its database. Make sure that the new location is added under options-library&folders-configure auto-import.

Of course if all you have is the FLAC files, then it's easier to use MC as jmone described. Although I believe you will still have to add the new folder in Options.

andrewt

• World Citizen
Re: Rename, Move & Copy: Are the fields supposed to be active?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »

I need some help here! From within R,M&C, If I select the files (right pane), shouldn't I be able to change the path? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Make sure the "Directories" box is checked; that allows you to specify a new folder. If it's not checked, it just renames the files.

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Rename, Move & Copy: Are the fields supposed to be active?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

Make sure the "Directories" box is checked; that allows you to specify a new folder. If it's not checked, it just renames the files.

That's exactly it!! With the black on black box color I didn't even see it. I ended up simply copying the files via explorer and re-importing. Worked great with cover art and all. Thanks much and I will certainly remember this for the future.

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:51:28 am »

No problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up