INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are Audio Output options and Bitstreaming not mutually exclusive?  (Read 986 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen

My understanding of bitstreaming is that MC takes the raw audio stream and sends it to your receiver (in my case, where I have a receiver connected through HDMI). If that's the case, then it seems like it wouldn't matter whether you select DirectSound, WASAPI, etc. But it does matter. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How are Audio Output options and Bitstreaming not mutually exclusive?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »

What!?!?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

My understanding of bitstreaming is that MC takes the raw audio stream and sends it to your receiver (in my case, where I have a receiver connected through HDMI). If that's the case, then it seems like it wouldn't matter whether you select DirectSound, WASAPI, etc.

Yes, you are right, about the first part anyway.

When bitstreaming is active, MC ignores the settings under Options -> Audio and sends the undecoded audio stream directly to your selected sound output device (either HDMI or SPDIF), letting the receiver decode it.

However, you still need the settings under Options -> Audio for when MC is decoding the audio.  For music, for example, or for a video file with a FLAC, AAC, or MP3 audio track.  Those go through the "regular" MC audio engine and get the benefit of WASAPI, the DSP, and all of that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »

Thanks, glynor. I was going to say much the same thing, only less clearly. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up