INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Song Properties Not Free?  (Read 1256 times)

Bruce

Song Properties Not Free?
« on: May 19, 2002, 09:19:51 pm »

What the heck is this???  After my trial period was up I opened MJ and imported a song,  then tried to open "properties" to type in the name, album etc and it says I have to buy the program????   Even somthing as simple as the tag section...name, album,  cover art,  file info,  etc etc is now "pay only"??

Is this a flaw in the program or by design?  if by design,  i am truly disappointed.  I know the fancy extras like editor, DSP, etc have to be purchased but gee...come on,  the tag info also???  What good is importing a song if you can't make any changes to the tag?

bruce
sad MJ user

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
RE:Song Properties Not Free?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 10:34:11 pm »

Im a registered user so im not absolutely positive as to whether or not that is a free option or not, but if so, there is a way you can edit tag info from the windows explorer (it may depend on your version of windows, that is if youre even running windows period)
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

ZedX

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 11:40:36 pm »

Sorry to butt in, but Bruce, I feel your pain. I'm using Mp3TagTools since my trial period is up. Pros:small file, freeware, lyrics & cover art editing. Cons:not easy to figure out (when in doubt press "write tags"), slow, only works on mp3 so I hope you're not an ogg-er or an aper. Good luck.
Next Page

RAVMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 02:44:18 am »

Why not just pay the modest registration fee?

nila

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 05:22:02 am »

Bruce,
I had the same problem when mine ran out and I didn't want to buy the program because of the limitations to the number of restores to 6 a year.
I've bought it though because it's definetely a very well made program and they support it very well.
I do feel the limitations on changing the id3 tags kind of makes the whole program pointless unless it's bought which therefore makes it seem like a pointless effort wasting all the programming time making a crippled version as I cant see anyone using it if they cant even modify the id3 tags.

There's a program called:  mp3-explorer though which is pretty simple and lets you modify id3 tags etc.
You can get it at: www.mp3-explorer.com

U might wanna just consider paying the small fee though. It's a good program, Even though JimH chooses not to answer my questions sometimes he seems like quite a nice guy and he definitely works hard answering everyone's questions. Matt, another one of the programmers also seems to put quite a bit of time into reading posts and he seems pretty cool too. They all seem like quite a nice lot who actually care about their program and making us happy rather than just caring if they can get one or two ferrari's next week like all the MS prats do.
They even answer posts on Saturdays and Sundays (no one's perfect and they're aloud to be slightly insane).
$25 isn't going to break your bank until you run out of restores then like me you can come back here and start writing out a dictionary of profanity about how you want the 6 restores reset. Until then though I think you'll feel like you got your money's worth. Especially as your mp3 collection starts growing to a size where you really notice the difference of a nice jukebox program.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2002, 05:38:50 am »

Up until about a month ago, version 8 wouldn't even run at all after the trial period was up. If you don't want to pay for the program, don't complain that you can't use it.

The guys at JRiver aren't volunteers after all.

johnA

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2002, 05:47:07 am »

Nila>There's a program called: mp3-explorer though which is pretty simple and lets you modify id3 tags etc.
You can get it at: www.mp3-explorer.com

Thanks for the link.  It has a great two-pane mass tagging screen.
Pros:
|PLS|  Powerful categorizing
|PLS|  Mass ID3 tagging
|PLS|  Mass file renaming
|PLS|  "Little Audio Browser"
|PLS|  ID3v1.1 and 2.0 support
|PLS|  Exports files to HTML/TXT
|PLS|  Advanced file searching

Cons:
  None

[mp3 - explorer] is an incredibly efficient utility used for everything from ID3 tagging to creating playlists. By far its most powerful feature stems from its flexible music organizer, which allows users to access MP3, WMA, and M3U/PLS files more easily.

One thing we really liked about [mp3 - explorer] was the intuitive split screen interface. After the program searches for supported media files, it can display them in one long list, or by genre, artist, or album. Files are displayed with a number of details (such as play time, bitrate, frequency, etc.) on the other side of the program. Selected files can then be played or enqueued in an external player, or be added to a playlist. The bottom of [mp3 - explorer] is reserved for making, editing, and saving playlists, as well as for viewing more file information.

Also included is superb mass ID3 tagging. Unique features like IntelliTag (which assigns ID3 tags using filename info) and Normalize (which can be used to automatically change the case of ID3 tags), add a lot of speed and power to the tagging process. In addition, since there is full ID3v1.1 and v2.0 support, [mp3 - explorer] allows for full picture and lyric viewing/editing. With Internet Explorer integration, users can even copy pictures of album covers from sites like Amazon.com or CDnow.com and paste them into ID3v2.0 tags. [mp3 - explorer] is also capable of renaming files through ID3 tag info, using pre-defined "formats."

Other wicked features include an advanced search engine, and the "L.A.B." [mp3 - explorer]'s search can scour its database of songs by title, artist, album, or even bitrate, and frequency. The L.A.B. (Little Audio Browser) is a tiny, 200x260 window, which allows for quick and easy browsing of songs. Selected files can then be played or enqueued in the user's default media player. For those who like to "share" (AKA pirate) music collections, [mp3 - explorer] also allows users to export selected files into an HTML, TXT, or CSV file.

http://software.dmusic.com/details.php?id=73

paulj

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2002, 05:53:17 am »

I've noticed other vendors adopting this practice. In fact, just this weekend I went down to my local Mercedes garage to test drive a new SLK32. Believe it or not, right after the test drive they demanded I gave back the keys! Unbelievable... especially after I spent all that time adjusting the seat position just the way I like it.

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2002, 06:20:11 am »

The day idiots able to fly,we will not see the sun anymore

French dicton not available with the free version

george

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2002, 06:43:11 am »

geezsh...MY Lexis dealer gave me free coffee, cheese and tidbits, just to test drive the Lexis.  Yes I had to return the 1 ton machine, so someone else could try it.
But, the dealer did give me free pictures, color brochure, which weighed hardly anything, cost him virtually nothing to reproduce, to keep forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up