INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK I give in... How do I get Theatre View to switch to my extended monitor?  (Read 1924 times)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

I am not sure if senile dementia is setting in or the developers are trying to force single monitor use.  It seems more and more difficult to discover the option of Which display to use for video.

Prior to typing this request for help, I have spent at least two hours trying to get MC17 to show Theatre View on my extended monitor in the same way that MC16 is working, alas without success.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and share the Dark Secret  ;D
The Future is Remote!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Options/Tree & View/Full Screen

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

Options/Tree & View/Full Screen

Jim, Thank you so much.

Could the development team please consider moving this option to avoid other sorry souls like myself wasting many hours looking for this facility? 

What does Tree / View have to do with display / monitor select?  To my mind moving to the Video menu would make much more sense!

Nevertheless Thank you again.

Chris
The Future is Remote!

Hendrik

• Administrator

A Monitor is a "Viewer", so .. "View"? :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

A Monitor is a "Viewer", so .. "View"? :D

I should have guessed, especially the Tree View  ;D
The Future is Remote!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

There's also a search window in options.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

There's also a search window in options.

'Monitor' = No Result

'Extended Monitor' No Result

I always assumed the search was for media titles or is this a conspiracy :-X

Come on guys, lets make MC better and more intuitive to use  ;)
The Future is Remote!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

On our HTPC we have a small lcd monitor for doing administrative work in MC Standard View. The rest of the time we view everything on our large screen plasma in Theater View.

We have been switching monitors using Control Panel. So I just went to our latest MC17/Tools/Options/Tree & View/Full Screen. It shows 2 choices 'Nearest Monitor' and 'Display #1 (default)'.

Neither setting causes the display to switch from the lcd monitor (#2 in Control Panel) to the large screen (#1 in control panel). We are not running 'Extended Desktop' with our video card -  could that be the problem?

The automatic switching of monitors would be a very handy feature for us.

Thanks,
Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Neither setting causes the display to switch from the lcd monitor (#2 in Control Panel) to the large screen (#1 in control panel). We are not running 'Extended Desktop' with our video card -  could that be the problem?

Yes, that's the problem.
If you are using them in "Mirrored" mode (extended desktop off, same content on both screens) then Windows "sees" them as only one monitor.
If you are using one of the GPU-vendor-provided super-fancy-extended-desktop-modes (like AMD Eyefinity) then the entire monitor "surface" shows up as one big monitor to windows.  The displays control panel still sees the actual individual monitors in case #1.  In case #2 the Windows control panel won't even see both monitors.
And, lastly, if you are only using one active monitor at a time (and disabling the other one) then you can't use it from an application because, again, Windows only "sees" one active monitor.

In any of these cases, you can't use any kind of automated monitor switching system in any application.

You'd almost certainly be better off leaving that small screen enabled all the time, putting Windows in extended desktop mode, and then using the monitor switching built into MC and maybe an add-on utility like UltraMon (which is great for multimonitor setups) for other applications.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Thanks a lot glynor for your usual well informed explanations.

Actually I just got back from trying out Extended Monitor and it works great. Just takes a little getting used to knowing where the mouse is. Guess I should have tried this mode a long time ago.

Since this is our HTPC we rarely use it for anything else but I will look into UltraMon.

And thanks to Beamer for his starting this thread that made me aware of this neat feature in MC.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up