INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically change tags based on a rule.  (Read 3279 times)

X82

• Recent member
Automatically change tags based on a rule.
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:38:06 am »

I believe there is such a feature with MC17, but I just want clarification on this and assistance in setting it up.
Basically, I want to import some mp3's which when MC17 detects they are from a certain album and artist, it applies a rule to enable bookmarking.
I import 2 files a day and I have to manually change the tags to enable bookmarking, I was hoping I can do this in MC17.
It possible?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Automatically change tags based on a rule.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:51:03 am »

Look under Import > Configure Auto-Import and Add / Edit a folder.  Under the Apply these tags (optional), Select Custom and then select Use Bookmarking from the pull down and create the appropriate rule.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:47 pm »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, but I can't get my brain around it.
I use the drop down and select "use bookmarking". Then I select Value: [ARTIST]. But then I'm stuck. Do I type in the artist after? So in the value field is will say:
[ARTIST]12345
[ALBUM]789

Is that how it works?
Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »

You'll want to create a rule that returns Yes, No or Default value, since these are the acceptable values for the Use Bookmarking property.

It sounds like you want a certain combination of Artist/Album so here's a simple, but easily modified way:

Select Use Bookmarking as the Field.

Enter the following as the Value:

if(regex([Artist]:::[Album], /#^Brian Eno:::Discreet Music$#/), Yes, Default)

changing, of course, Brian Eno to your desired artist, and Descreet Music to your choice of album.

btw. I used regular expressions here because you'll be able to easily extend or modify (which I suspect you will), and because it avoids having to use the non-existent AND conjunction (ignore me here if this isn't making sense to you).

Remember, these rules are applied only when the file is actually imported.  You can remove it from the library, and reimport to test.  (Don't delete it permanently, just remove from library).

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:26:21 pm »

Thanks for making it easy. I used the expression, but imported files have bookmarked set to DEFAULT. Rather than YES.
How can I change the expression to fix it?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »

Sorry, did you un-check the setting below?

Skip for files that already have a value in this field?

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »

Yes, its already unchecked.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »

So there are two things I can think of that might be going wrong:

1) the expression in your situation is insufficient
  2) the file is already in MC's database so auto-import is not doing what you'd like

Let's eliminate #2.  In Windows Explorer, make a copy of the file and import it into MC.  Check the Use Bookmarking tag.

If that doesn't work, let's move on to (1).  Please paste the exact expression you've entered into the tagging area of auto-import for the Use Bookmark tag.  Let's go from there...

MrC

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »

I'll add a second debug technique.

In a panes view, add an new expression column and paste your expression there to test.

To create an expression column:
1) Right click in a pane column header, and select Add Category to Right...
2) Select Expression from the radio buttons
3) Paste your expression

You'll now see the value that would be applied for bookmarking.  You're looking for the Yes values.  If there is only Default, then that means the regex() expression is not matching, and it needs to be adjusted.

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »

Thanks for this info.
I did what you suggested and it does indeed show a YES for these podcasts.
But when I look at the tag for each file, the use bookmarking feature still says default. I still have to manually change it to yes.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

Ok, that's good, so you have the expression working correctly.

Can you show a screenshot or two of your Import settings and the Rules associated with the relevant folder?

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 03:38:13 am »

Hope this helps.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:48:04 am »

Can we get such tagging through manual importing?  I never use auto-import but have asked for such auto-tagging before and would love to be able to use during manual import...

raldo

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:00:12 am »

Can we get such tagging through manual importing?  I never use auto-import but have asked for such auto-tagging before and would love to be able to use during manual import...

Related: Is auto tagging applied when a file is moved in the windows folder structure?

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 07:10:06 am »

Yes. The only difference is the rules aren't retained. If that's an issue, use Auto-Import. You can configure it, but leave it disabled in Options. Then Run Auto-Import Now instead of Import.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 07:22:41 am »

That kind of works but why does it insist on analyzing my entire library when I run it?

The auto-tagging should be available to ALL import methods IMO...

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 07:52:31 am »

That kind of works but why does it insist on analyzing my entire library when I run it?

Because you had Analyze Audio checked?

The auto-tagging should be available to ALL import methods IMO.

It is available. I would agree it should remember the rules entered for each folder in the MRU list. They can always be changed or deleted prior to running. But I would think most users would want the same rules to apply to the same folders each time they're imported.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 08:13:15 am »

Because you had Analyze Audio checked?

Indeed I did.  I unchecked it but it still "Analzyed" my entire library...

It is available. I would agree it should remember the rules entered for each folder in the MRU list. They can always be changed or deleted prior to running. But I would think most users would want the same rules to apply to the same folders each time they're imported.

I right-click import via Windows folders, not from within MC... I want auto-tagging applied there...?

MrC

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

Hope this helps.

I don't see anything wrong, other than both clauses of your IF return Yes (which I suppose you did for testing).  We can also optimize your two expressions into one.

Now this leads me to wonder - are these podcasts that MC downloads? Or are these external files created elsewhere that you manually imported into MC?

If the latter, when you import, do you see that MC reports it has imported the two files in question?

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 11:03:15 am »

The files are podcasts, but not available on any RSS feed. You have to download them one at a time.
When I download them, MC automatically adds them usually. But they do appear if I do an auto import.
Having to manually change the tag isnt a game changer, it still is annoying to do, as if I forget (and the podcasts are 2 hours long each) then when I want to listen to it again, it will start at the beginning.

MrC

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:26 am »

Ah, OK.  MC manages Podcast downloads independent from auto-import.  Downloaded podcasts are already added to the MC library, so auto-import needs to perform no work for those entries.  This is why your rules are not running.

Podcasts have their own set of auto-entries, but are simple fields, not expressions.  See the Set Tag Properties button when you Edit a podcast feed in the Podcasts area.

I personally think that this area of MC could stand to be updated and and made more consistent with where auto-import is going.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 11:24:17 am »

Podcasts have their own set of auto-entries, but are simple fields, not expressions.  See the Set Tag Properties button when you Edit a podcast feed in the Podcasts area.

I personally think that this area of MC could stand to be updated and and made more consistent with where auto-import is going.

good point..also podcasts does not work for portable installation  :-\

a solution to get podcasts to work with the autotag feature, would be to add a substitute drive letter & "double import"
MT5FR

MrC

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 11:30:32 am »

I re-read your post, and not I'm not so sure about my previous response.  I'm now reading that MC isn't doing the download, rather you are manually.  And then sometime in the future, MC has already added to file to its DB, or you force it to manually.

If I have it correct this time, here's an idea.  Download your podcast *outside* any MC import directory, for example, to your Desktop.  Then, when the podcast download is complete, move it to your folder that contains the auto-tag rule.  Then force a run of auto-import.  Let see what this does...

X82

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 01:00:32 pm »

Tried what you suggested. Same results. The expression shows Yes. But the bookmarking is still set to default.

MrC

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 02:30:26 pm »

Remove the second expression - use only one for now.

In fact, simply it - just enter the expression:

Yes

directly instead and test that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up