INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV darkens about ever 60 seconds momentarily..  (Read 1766 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
TV darkens about ever 60 seconds momentarily..
« on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:47 pm »

I am running Red October with filters LAV CUVID and madVR version 17.0.38. This is issue has been going on at least since the first version of 17 I installed.

When watching TV the screen will darken from top and move across the screen. Almost like an artifact one would see on and old analog black and white TV. Does not seem to occur when playing back the same content recorded. Does not occur with any other media I watch be that SD or HD.

It is very annoying. It is not a display card issue, I have swapped cards and the same thing. Cabling has been checked. I am using HD Homeruns. They work perfectly in Window Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV darkens about ever 60 seconds momentarily..
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 06:27:30 pm »

That is a very strange problem.  I have no idea what it could be.

If you've swapped cards, I would wonder about the TV.  Can you update the firmware?

Is it exactly the same time period?

Does the TV have a setting to automatically adjust the brightness?  If so, try turning it off.

What are the make and model of the TV?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:14:34 am »

I wonder if this could be a refresh rate issue.  Do you play TV on computer monitor or a TV set?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:01:03 pm »

The display is 37" Panny Plasma.. it works fine with the same content delivered in WMC. It seems visually like a refresh rate thing... I will check that nothing weird is going on refresh rate settings.

The last Nvidia WHQL driver broke Video in WMC.. a commonly observed issue. The latest beta is supposed to fix it. That beta was not out and I did a rollback to the last good version. That all may have taken place about the time I put 17 on this box.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:15 pm »

Somehow the driver rollback set the refresh rate to 24 FPS... not ideal at all for TV. Weird the driver would not let me set it back to 59.94 HZ. I had to do a clean install of the driver. Fixed the darkening.
Should I be able to use autofrequency switching in MC 17 to handle TV frame rates if the desktop is at 24HZ. The display supports its. Interesting that WMC was handling the 24 HZ desktop refresh rate with no artifacts playing the 30 FPS of live TV.

I still have the periodic MC stopping when I stop TV playback in Theater View.. That is something I have seen with 17 all along. This occus say 1 out of 3 or 4 exits and sometimes back to back.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »

I still have the periodic MC stopping when I stop TV playback in Theater View.. That is something I have seen with 17 all along. This occus say 1 out of 3 or 4 exits and sometimes back to back.

I am investigating this.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up