INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get multi-channel. Stereo only  (Read 2182 times)

Snookboy

• Recent member
Can't get multi-channel. Stereo only
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:08:14 am »

Pretty new to JRiver so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I've moved to a new machine and cannot get 5.1 no matter what I do.  It was working fine on previous machine.  Same sound card.  Main difference is going from a P68 to Z68 chipset on the motherboard.  I can get 5.1 in other programs such as VLC.

I am going out an Asus Xonar D2X sound card from SPDIF to an external reciever. This is the same set up on the old machine. 

I have used ASIO, WASAPI Event with same results.  I have configured Output in DSP to use source.  I have tried selecting to fource 5.1 channels.  I've tried not checking DSP Output.  I've tried everything.  All I get is 2.0 Stereo. 

Any idea what I am missing here?  As I mentioned, I had it working fine before with very similar setup; really only thing changed is the motherboard to a Z68 chipset and I can get 5.1 on this setup in other programs.  TIA!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can't get multi-channel. Stereo only
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:33 am »

SPDIF only supports surround sound if you encode as Dolby Digital.

You can tell Media Center to do this in DSP Studio > Output Format.

You can also bitstream Dolby Digital inside a movie, but this circumvents any audio features in the program.

More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Connection_Type
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Snookboy

• Recent member
Re: Can't get multi-channel. Stereo only
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:55:45 am »

Matt, thanks for the quick reply. 

I see now what you mean on the output.  If I select under "Channels" to 5.1 I then have the option to output as DD.  This does work when selecting WASAPI Event, but is still 2.0 under ASIO.  I'm pretty darn sure I used ASIO and selected source channels before and was able to output 5.1 DD. 

With bitstreaming I can leave it as "source channels" and it works fine with WASAPI Event Style, but is problematic with ASIO.  It worked, and then it didn't; no sound.  So maybe I have ASIO driver issues, but it's the same driver.  (I did increase the buffer).

I'm fine with bitstreaming as the only thing I am losing is VideoClock; as all other options lost are being handled by my receiver. 

I know I was running under ASIO drivers on old machine.  What do I lose by using WASAPI Event instead?  I bit more delay/jitter?
Pages: [1]   Go Up