INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue screen occurs using Kernel Streaming [Solved by updating Thesycon driver]  (Read 4652 times)

Dio H

• Recent member

I use Win7 64bit, MC16 (upgraded from MC14) and Thesycon driver for my dac.
I used to use WASAPI - Event Style and not to have any blue screen problems,
but now I am mainly using Kernel Streaming with my own good reason and seeing blue screens too often to ignore.
Each time I see blue screen and rebooting I am worried about the durability of my computer.
Blue screen occurs mainly in three cases:
First, when clicking another audio file while already playing back one, it occurs,
so each time I try to play back another audio file in the middle of playing back one,
I cannot but click stop button first before clicking another one, which I sometimes miss.
Second, right after the playback of the last (bottom) audio file in a Playing Now page is finished, it occurs,
so I cannot but use a Repeat Playing Now setting instead of Repeat Off which I prefer.
Third, right after the playback of a video file is finished (when audio output setting being the same as audio file (KS)),
it occurs, so I cannot but change from Kernel Streaming mode to WASAPI or else each time I try to play back a video file.

I guess this blue screen problem may be due to the conflict between KS mode of MC16 and Thesycon driver,
but I don't know which one should be touched.
I hope this problem will be fixed as soon as possible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Blue screen occurs when using Kernel Streaming.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:42:51 am »

Did you check for an updated driver?

impeth

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:43:38 am »

I face the same problem as Dio H refers, using MC16 & now MC 17, using Kernel Streaming with SoTM dX-USB HD interface. WASAPI & ASIO works fine, but I get blue screen in Windows 7 Starter 32-bit when trying to change track sometimes.
I think that this is 100% JRiver Media Center's fault because at the same time I use JPLAY plugin for MC17 which uses Kernel Streaming with the same hardware and there is no problem. Can you please fix it in a near-future upgrade??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:33 am »

The blue screen is a crash at the driver level.  MC can't "cause" that. 

That it works with another player only means that the conditions that cause the crash don't occur.  Please contact the maker of the hardware or driver.

Either ASIO or WASAPI are at least as good a choice as Kernel Streaming.

impeth

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:40 am »

Hello Jim,

I have tried MC17 with another DAC having different drivers from the SoTM interface & I still have the same problem with Kernel Streaming (blue screen & PC reboot). As the only common point of the two cases, I can think the fact that both carry Thesycon drivers. Can you please check this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:20 am »

The driver was the problem in the case above.  We discussed it with Thesycon.  They had fixed it in a later version.  Ask your manufacturer to check with them.

impeth

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

Thank you Jim, you are right, I have downloaded a newer version of the driver and seems to work fine with KS!
The issue is that the majority of the manufacturers that rely on Thesycon drivers are giving officially drivers from version 1.22 & before, where the problem resides...

nikon

I have same problems with Kernel Streaming. My configuration MC16 is:

Output mode: Kernel streaming

Output mode setting: HIFACE kernel streaming

The problem occurs when:

1.   Start playing 44.1 KHz 16 bit
2.   Press pause
3.   Start playing 96 KHz 24 bit.
4.   MC16 hang up

MC16 hang up or blue screen.

If I press stop instead of pause, system works normaly.

The system is very stable and this is the only combination that causes problems. I also tried MC17 (trail version) and there is the same problem.

Dio H

• Recent member

A sudden and surprising instance made me enter this thread again.
I had a blue screen problem on another music player, googled it and encountered this thread I myself started long time ago on top of the search results.
I clicked it and found out that it was my own, which made me half jump in electricity. hh
I re-read my writing and replies of others and decided to add some, which is good news.
The three problems I mentioned in the first place were on Windows 7, where I used ASIO instead of KS after I found out that there was no driver update then.
I am now using the same version of MC (ver. 16) and the same version of Thesycon driver on Windows 8 and all the problems are gone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up