INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio Questions  (Read 5572 times)

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
DSP Studio Questions
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:53:09 pm »

I switched out my music server from a headless PC to a new laptop with much more horse power! When I reinstalled MC 17 I thought I had all the setting sets the way I had it on the old music server.  But playing flac files from 24/44.1 to 24/192 sounded very flat and 2 dimensional, just dead. Before on the old music server it played as well or better in some cases  than my  reference standalone SACD/CD player which was the Esoteric X-03SE I owned.

So I went back in to each section to see what I have missed and find out I did not check the “Output Format” option. So I checked it even though I’m not using any options in this section as you can see in my screen shot below.  It came back to life and now I have my reference playback performance again!  Can someone please explain why it’s so?  I’m using WASAPI - Event Style.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
Re: DSP Studio Section...... Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

Strange, according to this by selecting DSP should not effect audio file play back just audio CDs but for me having DSP selected is a day and night differance.

"Note: DSP functions are only available during the playback of an Audio CD if you have "Use Digital Playback" selected under Tools > Options > Device. Some CD drives do not recognize digital playback. If you have a problem playing Audio CDs, try disabling this option."

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:27:42 am »

Selecting that checkbox won't make any changes based on your screenshot, so I'd look elsewhere for the cause of the sound difference.

A coming build of v17 will have an 'Audio Path' feature that will show all processing (if any) of a signal.  It will confirm what I'm saying.  I expect that build out later this week or early next week.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:54 am »

Matt, where do you suggest I look>

Looks to me by enabling "Output Format" you well experiance the best SQ from this software. If not surppose to have any impact then there must be a BUG. I recall someone else experiancing poor SQ after 17 upgrade.  I wonder if he has the same issue as I.

If no conclusion I guess I let others know to hear the BEST SQ is by checking “Output Format” option.  It dose sound spectaculer!  ;D

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:00 am »

I will make a wild guess.
How about the settings in your soundcard ? Obviosly that changed with your new hardware.

I noticed dramatic change on my new hardware. I configured the soundcard as a 5.1 speaker setup and I first got it right when I configured it as a stereo speaker setup. I had to understand (I hope  :)) what was going on and let MC do all the switching between speaker setups.

I presume you have connected some kind of amplifier. Is it connected digitally or analog ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:32:39 am »

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:35:49 am »

Here is my signal path right below. My output is the USB to the USB to SPDIF Converter.  No soundcard.

Infact I experaince the same issue on a second laptop.

Windows 7 64bit Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Laptop/JRiver Media Center 17 > Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF Converter > Bel Canto DAC3.5VB > Pass Labs XP20 Pre > Pass Labs XA160.5 Amps > ML Summit X

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
Re: DSP Studio Questions
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:17 am »

The image below shows "Output Format" (192kHz 64bit 2ch), and at the bottom it shows Source: 192kHZ 24bit 2ch.  Why is that?  Seems the DSP is doing something.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:35 am »

Is there any pay as you go phone support?  Typing back and forth is SO slow and cumbersome.  NOT very efficient. Maybe someone at computeraudiophile.com may have some answers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:12 am »

This is support.  Matt is CTO at JRiver.

The internal audio path is 64bit for everything.  Your device apparently requires 24bit.

Matt's link above would by useful.  See also the "DAC Settings" topic on the wiki.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:05:38 am »

Ok, so I should set my bitdepth rate to 24 instead of source bitdepth?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:16 am »

Ok, so I should set my bitdepth rate to 24 instead of source bitdepth?

Yes.

You're playing 24-bit material in the screenshot, so it won't matter.  But if you play 16-bit material (like a CD), you would still want to deliver the highest bit-depth your hardware supports which is probably 24-bit.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:26:36 am »

Thanks Matt!  I don't play any CDs.  I play strictly FLAC files and these sample rates:  44.1kHz/16-bit thru 192kHz/24-bit. Are there other Audiophiles here that have the same arrangement in regards to connecting your computer to your DAC?  My setup is: USB > USB to SPDIF Converter > DAC.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »

Questions?

If I leave the "Bitdepth" to Source bitdepth it will output the actual bitdepth of the audio file correct?  So 16bit will output to 16bit and 24bit will output to 24bit. If that's the caes I will just leave it that way so it plays the native bitdepth.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

I think audio files playing at their native bitdepth to the DAC sound best as well as sample rates.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »

I think audio files playing at their native bitdepth to the DAC sound best as well as sample rates.

There's really no such thing as a native bitdepth.  Your DAC outputs at a fixed bitdepth (probably 24-bit) and it's best to deliver it data in that format:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Sample rate is really different, and I wouldn't recommend converting sample rates unless you have a clear reason for doing so.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »

Yes, 24bit.  OK, I'll set it at 24bit.

What is ment by "Bitdepth" selecting Source bitdepth?

"Output Format

Open DSP Studio, and click on Output Format. Make sure it's enabled by checking the box next to Output Format.

Then, select these settings:

Sample rate

You only need to configure this if you play sample rates that are not supported by your hardware. For now, leave it on no resampling.

Channels

Set the channels selection to the number of outputs you are using from your computer. This is usually the same as the number of speakers you have attached. So for a 5.1 setup, select 5.1. For headphones, select 2 channels. For desk speakers, pick 2 or 4 channels.

Leave mixing set to JRSS v2.0 for the best quality output.

Bitdepth

Select the highest bitdepth your hardware supports (usually 24-bit)

Subwoofer

Leave default settings
"

Ventoux

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »

Yes, 24bit.  OK, I'll set it at 24bit.

What is ment by "Bitdepth" selecting Source bitdepth?

This setting is confusing to me as well.
So, the correct setting for a system that is capable to output 24 bit is to set this to 24 bit? (Not source bitdepth)
For me, it's HDMI out from a ATI5850 that I have set to 24bit 192Hz. But, WASAPI exclusive insures there is no resampling.
To me, this would seem like it's re-sampling everything to 24 bit.
Same goes for Channels - "source number of channels" to me sounds like I want my 2.0 to output to 2.0 and my 5.1 to output to 5.1.
I set mine to "source"

Thanks for your help on this

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »

I find for best SQ these are the settings after a long critical listening session today. With these settings, playback is on PAR if not better in many ways with a $10K Esoteric X-03SE SACD/CD stand alone player I owned recently. Thank's to JRiver Media Center 17 I can enjoy more of my passion which is listening to MUSIC!  ;D

WASAPI - Event Style
Device: Speakers (Wavelength HS)
Memory Playback Enabled
Bitdepth set to: 24bit
Channels set to: Source number of channels

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:18 pm »

@Bitdepth
We recommend using the highest bitdepth your hardware supports.

This might help clear it up:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth

@Audioseduction
How do you like the electrostatic speakers?  I've always loved how they look.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:48 pm »

That makes better sense to me now.  I'll set it for 24bit. Ya, the Logan’s are something else. So transparent, killer imaging, exceptional 3D sound stage, extremely revealing, bass with slam and control, and Mid-range/Treble to die for!  I'll never go back to your traditional speaker box again. This is my 3rd pair of Martin Logan’s.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »

Good news for Matt.  ToneAudio is running a Facebook contest right now where you can win a pair of MartinLogan speakers.  They'd look good in the JRiver media lab.  Use them for testing purposes.  :)
And issue 39 had a review of those BIG Pass Labs XA160.5 amps.  We can dream. 

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 04:22:11 am »

That makes better sense to me now.  I'll set it for 24bit. Ya, the Logan’s are something else. So transparent, killer imaging, exceptional 3D sound stage, extremely revealing, bass with slam and control, and Mid-range/Treble to die for!  I'll never go back to your traditional speaker box again. This is my 3rd pair of Martin Logan’s.
Yeah, I have also used Martin Logan´s for some time:) They are just better than traditional ones...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Ventoux

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:21 am »

@Audioseduction

great system you have there

Just got my GoldenEar's hooked up late last night - so I'll be tweaking/testing this weekend.
Thanks for you insight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up