INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export to iTunes places all songs in Unknown Artist  (Read 2477 times)

PenThis

• Recent member
Export to iTunes places all songs in Unknown Artist
« on: December 08, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

MC17 --> iTunes 10.5.1.42....  When attempting to export to iTunes all songs get placed in sub-folder Unknown Artist.  What might I be doing incorrect?

Jim

boba

Re: Export to iTunes places all songs in Unknown Artist
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:49:08 am »

Hi Jim

Good question, I am having exactly the same problem. I hope someone who knows the work-around responds.

Cheers

Bob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:37 am »

I believe your files must have tags that iTunes can read so that it can fill in metadata.

Could that explain what you're seeing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PenThis

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:06 am »

I should have added this is on Win7 Ultimate 64

I ask MC17.0.46 to export to iTunes and get in the target directory the following:

F:\ITunes\Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\all the songs that are in my current MC library.

Looking at the directory the files are listed with:

Name               Title          Contributing artists Album

On highlighting each file, all the tag info is there.  Is there something that I am not performing correctly in the process of exporting that would give cause to promote all the files to the /Unknown Artist/Unknown Album directory?

Jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:13:56 pm »

MC is not responsible of this. iTunes reads the file tags and copies and organizes the files according to the tag information (if these options are enabled in iTunes).

On highlighting each file, all the tag info is there.

What exactly shows the tag info and where do you see it?

I guess the file format is WAV. iTunes doesn't support WAV tags at all and places the files to the "...Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\" folder structure.

There may be a solution, but could you first explain why you are doing this? Is the intention to sync an iPod or iPhone with iTunes?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

PenThis

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »

I believe you may have something there.  My music files run the gamut from MP3 to FLAC with lots in the WAV format.  I wasn't blaming MC, I was trying to find out what I might be doing wrong which I believe you've identified. 

I was wrongly under the belief that tags were synonymous, standard and followed a set criteria for any player to read.  My bad.   

Would I then convert all to MP3 then export to iTunes?  Ultimate target being able to play from Apple computer through to iTV etc.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up