INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My monitor's display changed  (Read 1230 times)

Dirk

My monitor's display changed
« on: May 18, 2002, 07:54:40 pm »

I'm not sure why, but while I was messing with the visualization in media jukebox, somehow my monitor's display size changed.  I went from full screen visualization--then back to internal display.  When I came back, my display on the monitor had shrunk.  I have no idea why.  I kinda fixed by stretching my picture using the buttons on my monitor.  Anyone know what could have caused this?  Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:My monitor's display changed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2002, 09:45:35 pm »

The refresh rate must have not gotten restored properly when you can back from full-screen mode.

Are you using the latest version of MJ 8? If not, maybe try an upgrade.

Thanks and take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2002, 10:34:37 pm »

Dirk, I've noticed the same problem and have found the solution. When you switch to full screen you must choose the same screen definition (ie 800x600)as your desktop

Matt, it would be nice if switching to full screen defaults to the desktop definition
Luigi1943

Dirk

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2002, 06:39:26 am »

Matt (and others), I don't think I explained myself very well.  When my monitor went back to "normal" mode (ie, internal visualization), my monitor's display had shrunk.  In the Settings tab in "Properties" (on my desktop), it still said that my screen area was set to 800 x 600; however, my monitor's display was much smaller.  Vertically it was fine.  Horizontally it appeared squished so that I had an empty black space on the right and left of the desktop.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2002, 06:45:07 am »

Control Panel/Display allows you to set the monitor resolution.

Reboot.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2002, 06:59:43 am »

It looks funny because the refresh rate didn't get restored.

Desktop Properties -> Display -> Advanced

Ideally you want it as high as possible. (85 Hz)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2002, 08:03:14 am »

That's not exactly true that you want the refresh rate at high as possible.  The higher the refresh rate the more you tax the CPU.  I always go one or two settings below the highest rate, generally speaking 72 or higher is going to give you a flicker free screen.  I keep my monitor set 75, you really gain very little going higher.
birna

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2002, 08:32:52 am »

Higher refresh rates tax the CPU?   Really?   Where did you hear that?  It sounds like BS to me.

You do want to be careful with higher refresh rates, though.  Don't use anything higher than what is supported by your monitor.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 08:36:14 am »

Pretty common knowledge actually, think about it, the higher your refresh rate the more frequently the screen has to be written to.
Brian

cjdshaw

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2002, 09:56:16 am »

The screen redraw is handled by the graphics card. It will send an interrupt every redraw but the CPU can handle thousands of interrupts a second. At higher frequencies, cheaper monitors can start to look soft. Just play with the setting until you're happy with the flicker/sharpness.

Dirk: Monitors tend to remember your display settings based on your resolution and refresh rate. If MJ changed the refresh rate when it returned from full screen, your monitor may have used a default setting. Find a refresh rate you're happy with, then set your monitor size with the buttons on the front. Unless you're loosing the settings regularly, don't worry about it.

Dirk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 10:57:48 am »

Thanks to everyone for the tips.  FYI, I set my refresh rate to 75, and adjusted my monitor with the buttons on the front of the monitor (per cjdshaw's recomendation).  It seems to be fine now.  Again, thanks to all of you for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up