INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA EQ not working?  (Read 3513 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
PA EQ not working?
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:01:05 pm »

Hello,

For reasons I'm still investigating, the pa equalizer isn't working for me. I tried connecting my Behringer DSP1124p, and instantly my eq-filters worked as intended.
I hear no change when switching the pa eq on and off.

Could someone in here please confirm that the pa eq actually is working (version .59)? That would confirm it maybe is only my setup that it doesn't work with.

Cheers - and merry Christmas to everyone.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: PA EQ not working?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »

Does it say 'Enabled and processing data' at the top of the Parametric Equalizer page?

If so, you might add something you can't miss like a +20 dB volume boost on all channels.  Does that work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:33:48 am »

Does it say 'Enabled and processing data' at the top of the Parametric Equalizer page?

If so, you might add something you can't miss like a +20 dB volume boost on all channels.  Does that work?

Hi Matt,

It does say enabled and processing data. I will try your suggestion when I get home from Christmas. My intuition tells me it does not work, since I was cutting 20 db at both 32hz and 90hz - with no result. Both the unwanted boost and the excessive ringing remains with the PA-EQ enabled.

Best regards,
Mikkel

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
PA EQ is not working (can't use room correction either)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »

I can confirm PA EQ does not work for me (Build 17.0.60). Using JRSS 7.1 up mix with 16 channel output. PA EQ in signal chain after output format.
Tried gain and mute filters with no effect (says enabled and processing).

I can not use Room Correction either (output format not supported). JRSS is up mixing to 7.1, I only want to process on those 8 channels with room correction tools (again 16 channel output is being used).

Thanks for your help.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:14 am »

Returned from Christmas...

Boosting or cutting 20db does not work on any channel.

I've assigned around 16 filters in total on the L, C, R and SUB channels using the "Adjust a frequency (equalizer filter)".
Let me know what info you need and I shall provide it asap.

Best regards,
Mikkel

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:13 am »

I just tested (17.0.60) and it works fine for me. I did a low pass filter, mute, adjusted the volume by -20 dB, tried a PEQ at 1000 Hz with a cut of -20 dB and Q of 1. Each worked independently and when all enabled in both 2 channel and 7.1.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »

Parametric EQ still not working here. Output is 16 channel, ASIO, 24bit, freq 44.1 kHz.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24:06 pm »

I just tested (17.0.60) and it works fine for me. I did a low pass filter, mute, adjusted the volume by -20 dB, tried a PEQ at 1000 Hz with a cut of -20 dB and Q of 1. Each worked independently and when all enabled in both 2 channel and 7.1.

I'm using the "Adjust a frequency", not the low pass filter. Perhaps I misunderstood the PA EQ but isn't low and high pass filters used for frequency ranges (EDIT: above or below the cut-off frequency) rather than individual frequencies? Either case, I'm using the equalizer filter "Adjust a frequency", and it does not change anything on my setup.

My soundcard is an Asus XONAR HDAV 1.3Deluxe. I'm using directsound.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »

I wonder if the issue is your 16-channel input?  I'm not sure the Parametric Equalizer will know how to map the channels, but it should probably map the first 8 the same way as always.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 01:37:27 am »

Hi Matt,

Maybe for hulkss that may be the explanation. But the asus-card only outputs 8 channels. I'm using analog out. I could try spdif to see if the digital output works. But since the eq doesn't work for any channel I doubt it is a mapping issue.

Best regards,
Mikkel

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:44:50 am »

OK, performed a few tests.

Parametric EQ works all the time except for settings above 7.1 channels. :(

Matt, as you say just processing the first 8 channels the same as always would work great. :)

Please work your magic on this. Thanks.

PS: it would be nice if room correction worked the same way too.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 03:16:05 am »

So what do I need 16 channels for anyway?
Tri-amped front speakers and 3 subs (one IB sub under the center speaker).
JRSS is a little light on the center speaker so I am in need of a working gain adjustment.
Thanks in advance.

PS: A center "focus" or "width" adjustment would be a cool addition too.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:31:44 am »

So what do I need 16 channels for anyway?
Tri-amped front speakers and 3 subs (one IB sub under the center speaker).
JRSS is a little light on the center speaker so I am in need of a working gain adjustment.
Thanks in advance.

PS: A center "focus" or "width" adjustment would be a cool addition too.

Room Correction has individual gain adjustments for each speaker - have you tried that for your low center? Or does that not work because of your multi channel assignments?

Great looking theater!  Looks like 2 Klipschorns with false corners and a ported LaScala Center? Must sound fantastic! Khorns like tall ceilings - yours look like they go waaay up! (BTW are you on the Klipsch Forum? I'm 'KdAgain' there.)

Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »

Room Correction has individual gain adjustments for each speaker - have you tried that for your low center? Or does that not work because of your multi channel assignments?

Room correction also is not working with 16 channels selected. The JRiver guys just enabled JRSS to work with 16 channels in build 17.0.57 so I can get up-mixed audio channels.
I must be one of the first guys to use greater than 8 channel capability inside of Media Center and try the other DSP features.

Can't wait to move on to video playback as soon as I get the audio fully functional.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:25:59 am »

Had some time off today to further investigate... Hope it will provide some useful info.

It appears that the PA EQ does not work on the sub only. Following picture shows a pink PN signal with a 20db boost at 800hz on my left front speaker. Clearly the EQ works (20db boost, 800hz, Q = 1):

However, playing the pink PN signal on the sub with 20db gain at 90hz no boost is added (20db boost, 90hz, Q = 1):

Best regards,
Mikkel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 01:39:01 pm »

Parametric EQ works all the time except for settings above 7.1 channels. :(

Matt, as you say just processing the first 8 channels the same as always would work great. :)

Please work your magic on this. Thanks.

In a coming build:
Changed: When dealing with output signals with more than 8 channels, the program assumes the first 8 channels follow the conventional L,R,C,SW,RL,RR,SL,SR ordering for the first 8 channels so that Room Correction, Parametric Equalizer, etc. can be used on the first 8 channels.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »

@Mikkel

I just tested a SW only boost (+20.0 DB at 90 Hz (SW)) and it works correctly for me.

You can view Analyzer and use Ctrl+Click on the 'Parametric Equalizer' checkbox to toggle it on and off.  I can see the graph bounce up at 80 Hz and back down when doing this.

Any other ideas?  Anyone else?

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

@Mikkel

I just tested a SW only boost (+20.0 DB at 90 Hz (SW)) and it works correctly for me.

You can view Analyzer and use Ctrl+Click on the 'Parametric Equalizer' checkbox to toggle it on and off.  I can see the graph bounce up at 80 Hz and back down when doing this.

Any other ideas?  Anyone else?

I fear it could be a driver or hardware issue then.
As mentioned I'm using an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe (analog out). The only way to know would be for other MC users with the same soundcard to report their results here.

Thank you for your effort, Matt.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:42 am »

I fear it could be a driver or hardware issue then.
As mentioned I'm using an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe (analog out). The only way to know would be for other MC users with the same soundcard to report their results here.

The Parametric Equalizer is independent of the output hardware.

I think there must be some other wrinkle we're missing.  Could you also post a screenshot of what your Parametric Equalizer looks like?

You might create a new test zone and configure it to use Null Output (instead of ASIO / WASAPI) and see if that works.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 04:08:38 am »

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the huge delay.

I tried switching to the null output. Entered a filter of  -20db, 1q at 90 hz for the subwoofer. Still no result.
I forgot to take a picture of the parametric equalizer (I'll do it next time I get some spare time). But in the setup with null output, the only filter present in the PEQ-box is the 90hz filter for the sub.

I've tried ASIO as well as DirectSound. No difference.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up