INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing subtitles for mpeg-ts and wtv files  (Read 6979 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Missing subtitles for mpeg-ts and wtv files
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:44:37 am »

Hi,

Before switching to JRiver I was using either Mediaportal or Win7 Media Center to record tv. Now, in jriver I'm unable to view the subtitles for those formats.
I suppose it is possible but I lack the insight and/or technical knowledge on how to display them. I have selected the subtitles on th OSD during playback but that didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Mikkel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Missing subtitles for mpeg-ts and wtv files
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:23 am »

Try switching the subtitles with the On Screen Display.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

Try switching the subtitles with the On Screen Display.

I'm unable to find any 'menu' under the OSD that states subtitles. If right-clicking I can enable closed captions... although it makes no difference.

For other videos (recorded tv) it shows that subtitles are available, when right-clicking and look under the menu 'Subtitles'. However, even when enabled, I don't see any subtitles.

As far as I understand, subtitles are somehow embedded in the ts and wtv files. However they do not appear. Perhaps there is a filter that I haven't enabled?

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:05 pm »

*bump*

Still no luck. Did find the subtitles under the OSD. The were already enabled. Disabling subtitles and reenabling made no difference.

Reading the wiki I'm uncertain if I need to install directvobsub and halii - my genereal impression redoctober will take care of this?

As mentioned I'm trying to show embedded subtitles for mpeg-ts and wtv file formats. When played back in e.g. Windows 7 Media Center or Mediaportal, subtitles show perfectly fine.

So please, if someone would be so kind as to help. If a log is needed I will of course provide it.

I'm using the latest beta-build (.50).

Best regards,
Mikkel

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »

You don't have to install anything as it "just works" in general (well txt subs were broken in a couple of builds prior to V50).  Can you upload a short sample of a problem file to a site as there may be somthing different about these (I presume) TV recordings?
JRiver CEO Elect

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:09:55 am »

You don't have to install anything as it "just works" in general (well txt subs were broken in a couple of builds prior to V50).  Can you upload a short sample of a problem file to a site as there may be somthing different about these (I presume) TV recordings?

I will see what I can do.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:54:28 am »

I have uploaded a 15 mb clip from "Trading places". Danish subtitles are present. The file is recorded in Mediaportal from a DVB-T signal.
Hope this will be of help...

http://www.mediafire.com/?156tr3ripblaup3

Best regards,
Mikkel

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »

I can confirm that I don't see any subs yet media info claim they are there.  Over to a JR'er
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

Thanks for the sample file.

Our subtitle engine doesn't currently support subtitles of the format MEDIASUBTYPE_DVB_SUBTITLES.

I'm trying to figure out what they are to see if we could add support.  I'll follow-up if I learn anything.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

Our subtitle engine doesn't currently support subtitles of the format MEDIASUBTYPE_DVB_SUBTITLES.

I'm trying to figure out what they are to see if we could add support.  I'll follow-up if I learn anything.

If that research turns up anything helpful in pulling the metadata out of the wtv files, that would be useful also ;)
pretend this is something funny

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:16 am »

Maybe this link will provide you with the necessary information: http://www.dvb.org/technology/index.xml
Alternatively, the European Telecommunications Standards administrates all DVB standards in Europe, and should provide specification-documents etc.

If it is any comfort, Windows Media Player 12 cannot even handle it... but Mediaportal apparently can, so I hope you can find a solution.

Best regards,
Mikkel

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 04:21:59 am »

I can not imagine that MEDIASUBTYPE_DVB_SUBTITLES is all that different from other subs that MC already handles...

JRiver CEO Elect

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 05:23:35 am »

If that research turns up anything helpful in pulling the metadata out of the wtv files, that would be useful also ;)

Indeed! I'm unable to edit .wtv-files, though, so I cannot provide anything for the jriver-team to work with  :(

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:29 am »

I can not imagine that MEDIASUBTYPE_DVB_SUBTITLES is all that different from other subs that MC already handles...

DVB subtitles are really somewhat special...
I'm not sure any free software handles them 100% yet, MPC-HC has some basic support, but it crashes quite alot, too.

If JRiver doesn't want to support them, LAV will sooner or later.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:03 pm »

The DVB subtitle spec is only 51 pages long :P
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300700_300799/300743/01.03.01_60/en_300743v010301p.pdf

However, I have the DVB subtitles in the sample file above working with our subtitle engine.  The code is still rough, so I can't say when it will be released.

I'm a little unclear on the page, region, object ownership and lifetimes.  If anybody could provide additional sample files, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »

I have uploaded a 15 mb clip from "Trading places". Danish subtitles are present. The file is recorded in Mediaportal from a DVB-T signal.
Hope this will be of help...

http://www.mediafire.com/?156tr3ripblaup3

Best regards,
Mikkel

Could you post a screenshot (or email to matt at jriver dot com) of what the subtitles look like when they're working in another program?  I want to make sure I have the color space right.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 01:38:37 pm »

Coming in 17.0.53:
NEW: Added preliminary support for DVB subtitles (please provide information or sample files if you encounter issues).

I'm still looking for samples and the screenshot I requested above.

Thanks.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:33 pm »

Coming in 17.0.53:
NEW: Added preliminary support for DVB subtitles (please provide information or sample files if you encounter issues).

Thanks.

Here is a screenshot with DVB-subtitles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?b6xtg449vxzq7m7

Further, a sample from another mpeg-ts file: http://www.mediafire.com/?wjw4nrduvkr31ue

Thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated!  :)

Best regards,
Mikkel

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

VLC is not-all-bad with DVB subs, could possibly use it as some kind of reference.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »

Here is a screenshot with DVB-subtitles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?b6xtg449vxzq7m7

Further, a sample from another mpeg-ts file: http://www.mediafire.com/?wjw4nrduvkr31ue

Thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated!  :)

Best regards,
Mikkel

Thanks.  Both of those samples should work well once the new build is available.

We may need to do some tuning to the aspect ratio of the subtitles, because the videos seem to be 704x576 but the subtitle spec says we should assume 720x576.  The exact placement of the subtitles would vary depending on what value we use.

EN 300 743 5.1.3
"Absence of a DDS in a stream implies that the stream is coded in accordance with EN 300 743 (V1.2.1) [5] and that a
display width of 720 pixels and a display height of 576 lines may be assumed"

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 12:02:10 am »

This is great news. I can confirm that VLC works with dvb subtitles used in Finland. Any hope this could be used also when watching with live dvb stream with MC? I can provide a .ts sample if needed.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:06 am »

Thanks.  Both of those samples should work well once the new build is available.

We may need to do some tuning to the aspect ratio of the subtitles, because the videos seem to be 704x576 but the subtitle spec says we should assume 720x576.  The exact placement of the subtitles would vary depending on what value we use.

EN 300 743 5.1.3
"Absence of a DDS in a stream implies that the stream is coded in accordance with EN 300 743 (V1.2.1) [5] and that a
display width of 720 pixels and a display height of 576 lines may be assumed"

Great! Will subtitle placement scale to HDTV (720p) as well? If you need an HD sample-file I can send you one.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up