INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update metadata of mp4 file from JRSidecar file?  (Read 3751 times)

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
Update metadata of mp4 file from JRSidecar file?
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

Hi,

It is possible update metadata of mp4 file from JRSidecar file?

I have a huge colection of videos in mp4 format. JRiver generate JRSidecar file for each mp4 video with a copy of metadata for each mp4 file.

If I modify the metadata inside jriver this modify are saved in JRSidecar file but not in the metadata of mp4 file.

So I would like that when I want do it can sync JRSidecar file with metada of mp4 video files. After I will have the same information in the native mp4 file that in _JRSidecar file.

It is posible? I need this operation because if not I depend of _JRSidecar file! So I must edit tags with mp3tag for 3t time!

Many thanks!

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Update metadata of mp4 file from JRSidecar file?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »

any solution?
thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:53:30 pm »

It could be nice to be able to write tags to MP4 files, but there is a problem with the typical video file sizes.

Tagging would be very slow if the tagger component needs to rewrite the complete files and those who back up their MP4 video collections would need to constantly update huge amounts of backed up data. Writing to small sidecar files and backing them up is very fast.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:02:29 pm »

fyi

I agree it would be bad to write mp4 tags due to time and backup issues (or it should be an option that can be turned off). I thought all media players did not write mp4 tags however I recently learned by experimentation that iTunes writes mp4 tags.

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:22:56 am »

thanks for the responses. However mp3Tag tags can modify mp4 file without re-writing the entire file. If mp3tag can why mc not? mp3Tag only need to rewrite the entire file if not exist none tag edited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up