INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I avoid a UAC prompt for MC16/17 in Win 7?  (Read 1853 times)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How can I avoid a UAC prompt for MC16/17 in Win 7?
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:17 am »

I moved to a new Intel i5-2400 based personal PC recently with Win 7 64 bit Home Premium as the OS.  No problems as a personal PC.

My dedicated MusicPC in Win XP based now but I want to understand whether Win 7 will be usable in the MusicPC role.  That PC runs headless and JRiver MC is in the startup folder so it runs when the system boots up.  I don't want any login dialogs or other modal dialogs to interfere with using the MusicPC as an appliance.  (I don't have a login dialog now.)

I've identified one problem so far.  When I start MC 16 or 17, Win 7 displays a system wide User account control modal dialog with the question "Do you want the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" (administrative privileges)

I'm looking for a way to tell Win 7 once to allow MC 16/17 to run so that the UAC dialog does not appear every time MC is started.  I added a network security rule to allow MC to make outbound internet connections but that didn't get rid of the prompt.

Any ideas for a solution or a lead?

Bill

MrHaugen

Re: How can I avoid a UAC prompt for MC16/17 in Win 7?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:45:05 am »

1. Adding MC17 to a startup folder will not help you much, as the user have to log in for this items to be activated. But I'm sure there is apps that logs in the user automatically. This is a security concern though. Depending on the physical access to this computer.
2. UAC promts can be partially or fully disabled in control panel. Check out the User settings.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:10:41 am »

MC won't UAC prompt every time you launch it.  It only happens if:

1) You are installing a new build (though, this can happen automatically if you have auto-updates turned on).
2) You switch back and forth between MC17 and an older version of MC (because it has to re-register the JRTools DLL file).

If, even this, is too much, then your only option is to disable UAC.  Windows does NOT provide a mechanism to "permanently allow" a particular application to bypass UAC (because then that mechanism would become an attack target for malware).

You'd also be better off with Windows 7, in most cases, to not use the Start Menu's Startup folder.  MC has an option to launch MC on Startup, so you can use that.  For other stuff, you almost always get better results using either the Task Scheduler (my preference whenever I have to add one) or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (or HKLM if you don't need user account access beforehand and want it to be systemwide).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rlebrette

glynor

• MC Beta Team

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:15:47 am »

Having a password helps with network shares, so, for automatically logging on to a windows seven machine, there's netplwiz

Type that into the start menu search field and press enter.
Pick an account
Take the tick out of "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Press apply, at which point you'll be prompted for the password.

OK out of there and reboot to see Windows automatically log on the previously selected account, where MC will be configured to run on startup. Our HTPC couldn't work without this! :)

-marko

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

MrHaugen, I only have one account and no password, so I don't have to log in.  And I'd rather not disable UAC completely.

glynor, my experience is not completely the same as yours.  When I run MCX 17, the UAC prompt only appears the first time I run MC 17 after running MC 16.  However, when I run MC 16, the UAC prompt appears every time I start MC 16. I have not yet figured that out.  I'm aware of the Registry baaed approaches.  If I can made the Startup folder approach work, I'll stick to that.  Otherwise, I'll try one of the other mechanisms.

rlebrette, I tried your "create-shortcuts-for-trusted-programs-to-bypass-windows-7-uac-check" remedy but have not yet made it work.  When I double-click on the shortcut, a small windows appears briefly and then disappears.

Bill

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »

Do you have Options -> General -> Shell Options -> Enable shell integration enabled on both MC16 and MC17?

That could probably cause some weirdness and require reboots in between launching one and then the other to get the UAC prompts to go away.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what is happening on your end.  Of course, I've fully switched over to MC17 and haven't been going back to MC16 in a long while, so maybe something is broken.

That is certainly the way it is supposed to work, though, and it did at one time (I complained at one point right after MC17 came out, and Matt set me straight).

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »

Do you have Options -> General -> Shell Options -> Enable shell integration enabled on both MC16 and MC17?

Not checked in either MC 16 or 17.

I run my dedicated MusicPC like a production computer in a data center.  I'm still using MC 16 on that computer.  Unless something breaks, it will be some time before I need to move to a Win 7 based dedicated MusicPC.  The fact that I'm not seeing the UAC prompt every time for MC 17 may not enough information and encouragement for me for how.

Thanks again for the replies.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up