INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 281059 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

Thanks Les Paul.  Cant wait!

Two comments:

- What is the need of a stop button?  Especially if it means zone selection and meta data button are buried.  maybe I need to see it first before complaining huh?  ;)

- VERY much looking forward to streaming to the device.  This is huge!  Thanks so much for working to get this enabled.  What is up with the 128 only?  I will re-bump my thread regrading this hidden auto-conversion that it seems no one has control over.  Maybe you could reply as well in there?

Cheers.
Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »

Lespaul,

Fisrt, thanks for implementing all these great features. Your app is by far the best app for MC!

Pcstockton,

Here is a copy of my previous post, it explains why we need the Stop button:

Lespaul,

There are 2 more little bugs:

1) The previous track icon and the next track icon should be |<< and >>|  and not << and >>

2) It is very important to have a STOP button, because when you have linked zones and one of the linked zones is also used as a single zone, if this single zone is in pause mode, we canīt play in the linked zone!!! I donīt know if it is easy to understand. Here is an example:

Suppose you have 4 zones:
zone1
zone2
zone3
all_zones(zone1, zone2 and zone3 linked)

If you play and pause on zone1 and after that you decide to play on all_zones, you need to stop the zone1 first, otherwise MC will not play on all_zones.

pcstockton

« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »

nick,

I see....

Doesn't this seem like a bug with MC itself?  Or does MC not work like that when using standard UI?

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:56 pm »

Pcstockton,

It is not a bug with MC, it happens even when using the standard UI.
Of course MC developers could make it better just by issuing an automatic Stop command to a zone A if the other link zone contains this zone A.

pcstockton

« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »

sounds like a bug with MC in general to me.  Is there any reason why you would want MC to act that way with linked zones regardless of using Standard View or JRemote?

Burying the Zone selection is a bad idea.  We will need to go into the playlist to find it?  

It makes more sense for MC to fix the "Pause with Linked Zones" issue, if it actually is an issue outside of your usage.

-Patrick

margolbe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

I have JPlay, which is a plugin for JRiver Media Center.

When I use JRemote, I am unable to access JPlay.

Is there any way to access this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »

Uninstall jplay.  It is a fraud.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:59 am »

pstockton, the buttons have been moved to the detail view, and only requires a tap on the screen.
During testing I did not find this to be problematic. but opinions may vary.

margolbe, JPlay is available as a zone usually called "jplay". It is selectable just like any other zone.
This of course require the jriver integration plugin to begin with.

margolbe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »

LesPaul,

Where can I find the JRiver integration plugin?

pcstockton

« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:31 am »

Thanks LesPaul!  I am sure you know what you are doing.  The app is so good.

I just recently started using zones a bit (getting nice out and need to send audio to the BBQ) and liked instant access to it on the playing now screen.

If there is any way to reincorporate it into as many views as possible I would personally love it.

-patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #310 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:13 am »

silly question....

is there ANY chance that for streaming to the device with JRemote we could use the DLNA servers?  If so we could use it to stream full lossless.  128 mp3 is unlistenable (even with the most basic systems) and when streaming at the home network full 16/44 FLACs roll just fine.

Thanks!
Patrick

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2012, 11:03:44 am »

Thats not a silly question Patrick.
I have started to look at the DLNA capabilities of JRiver. Mostly because i just got myself an OPPO blu-ray player that supports DLNA.
I`m still in the process of just looking around, but maybe JRemote can act as a DLNA client later on.

pcstockton

« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »

Cheers!

Thanks Lespaul.

It would be a moot point if JRiver would allow us to configure the compression (or lack of) on whatever we call the "hidden" server that Gizmo, Webgizmo, Webplay, and JRemote uses.

Thanks!
Patrick

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

Lespaul,

have you seen this ... http://code.google.com/p/upnpx/ ?

Would it help to support just one uncompressed DLNA audio setting of MC
(e.g. Conversion: Always convert / Encoder: Uncompressed) to avoid
issues with some codecs not natively supported by iOS?

It would be so nice to get rid of PlugPlayer  ;)

AudioBear

• Recent member
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2012, 06:46:01 pm »

Okay, king of the dumb@arces here.  So I installed the JRemote app to iphone 4s,  entered the access key.  I get an error: "Access key was verified, but computer connection failed. Make sure your computer is running and connected to a network."   I am trying to connect to my laptop which is wirelessly connected to my Netgear WNDR3700 router.

Any help? ? ?

Thank You very much.

bsistrunk

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:27 am »

Okay, king of the dumb@arces here.  So I installed the JRemote app to iphone 4s,  entered the access key.  I get an error: "Access key was verified, but computer connection failed. Make sure your computer is running and connected to a network."   I am trying to connect to my laptop which is wirelessly connected to my Netgear WNDR3700 router.

Any help? ? ?

Thank You very much.

I am having the same problem on Windows 7 desktop and iPhone 4s.  I tried manual settings using IP address as well but get the same result.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

maxim

• Recent member
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2012, 01:42:24 am »

Can't get the screen to work in the 'remote' window on my iPad1,  just a blank screen.  Any suggestions how to fix it?

Other than that seems to operate  fine.  Great app!

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2012, 11:54:39 am »

Hi Lespaul,

I just downloaded the new version and it is great!!! I just changed the 4 stars on the Appstore to 5, because it now has streaming to the device!!
The Stop button works as it should and now the linked zones work!
The new interface icons are great!

As I am a programmer too, I will try to help you to sort bugs and give my opinion for improvements. Note: I am using the Iphone version.

BUGS:

1) When streaming to the device, from a stop or pause state, if you choose a track, the music will start, but the Play icon will not change to pause.

2) This one is not related to the latest version only. When using any zone, when you try to adjust the volume using the slider, sometimes the MC doesnīt respond and the slider comes back from the last position.  If you canīt reproduce this bug, try to use JRemote thru an internet connection and play with the volume slider.
Sometimes it becomes impossible to change the volume, but it still shows the volume if I change it directly on MC or other app. Try make the tests switching between zones, that might trigger the bug. This is the most important bug to fix!

3) If you select THIS DEVICE as zone, play a track, change to another zone, play a track and after that you go back to THIS DEVICE, the audio goes back, but cover art,track name, etc does not update to THIS DEVICE.

4) If there is a track playing on THIS DEVICE and you go to another zone, if the track ends and another one begins, it goes back to THIS DEVICE cover art, but the controls keep in the last zone.  

Improvements:

1) Try to squeeze things a little bit to show the current zone without the need to touch the cover art.
2) Add an option to the settings to choose the streaming to device bitrate.
3) When displaying search results, display them in alphabetical order.
4) Add lyrics feature.

rjm

« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:13 pm »

Just tried 2.0. Streaming audio with AirPlay to other devices works very nice. Thank you!

When I attempt to stream an IOS compatible mp4 video to my iPad JRemote crashes.

I hope you find a way to make video and AirPlay work.

pcstockton

« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks so much LesPaul.

For some reason my server has the incorrect "global address" entered (my IP address recently changed).  I cannot seem to change this remotely.

I will delete and re-enter the server when I get home.

I cant wait to use this and delete ALL other apps/control points.  So excited.

One question for you and one suggestion:

1) The dev of the My River app has found a way to make the mp3 compression customizable.  Is this something you think you can implement?  Is there ANY way that "never convert" could be an option for home streaming?

2) If there is ANY way to can find a way to restore the Zone selection to the main screen that would be great.  In fact this would be great to have anywhere possible.

Thanks again!
Patrick

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »

Thanks Guys,

I just saw yesterday that the My River author had found a way to select stream quality, so I did some more investigating and found out how.
I have already added it to the code, but you wont get it until the next version.

I also found that you can stream uncompressed through the webservice, so I could basically implement a FLAC decoder in the app. I am still thinking about how to get this to play nice with iOS`s built in avplayer, but this is definately something I will implement later. Wav is supported already by iOS, so that should have most people covered.

nickba, thank you for your detailed report, much appreciated. I will do my best to fix the issues.

I will also look at how zone selection can be made more accessible in the iPhone version.

The next version will focus mainly on a better iPad interface.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #321 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

pcstockton, all info about a server is now visible and editable. Just click the blue arrow on the right side of your saved server and edit.
Often, the global address will be different than what MC provides, for example if you use one of the static ip providers.

pcstockton

« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:55 pm »

Thanks Lespaul.

I went in to the settings for the server via the arrow you mentioned.

I can change the Global IP but I cannot save it.  It changes back to the incorrect one.

No matter, I went home and deleted the server and re-added it.  IP Address is correct now.

But I cannot get it to stream when off my wifi network.  When on wifi, Playing to the device works fine.

But if I turn my iPhone's wifi off, I cannot connect.  I of course have all needed ports opened and correct IP addresses.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!  (my finger is on the delete app button for PP etc.)
Patrick

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »

I'm using iPod 4 with version 5.1.1 software. I upgraded to the latest JRemote today. In playing now screen I see no cover art. All I see is a large musical note. In all the the other screens that use smaller thumbnail cover art, the cover thumbnails are displayed. It's only the full size covers that should show in playing now that don't come up.
I've tried playlists, individual albums, same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled JRemote and same problem.
I use BitRemote, webgizmo and My River as well and all of those show artwork with no issues. I had this identical issue with the previous version of JRemote as well. I was under the impression that this upgrade would fix the problem. Unfortunately, no.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

Just tried 2.0 for the first time (from home, no remote use yet).

Wow.

I've honestly been dreaming about this since the first iPhone came out.  Really, really well done.

I just need one thing... A way to set a default zone per-server (or global if you must).  I want to be able to start it up in On This Device mode, so that it can just basically replace the Music App.  Opening JRemote and remembering to switch it to On This Device before just listening to music is too fiddly (especially for my wife).

So, a global option would do.  But, some of my servers (the HTPC or the Video Wall, for example) will never be used in On This Device mode, and JRemote will be used as a remote, so a per-server option would be better.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

I should mention in addition to my message above that MyRiver is still working remotely.  I cant get it to connect with my server remotely with JRemote though.

Maybe delete the app and reinstall?

Thanks again!
Patrick

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »

Lasker, your problem with cover art is really strange. I will look at the code and see what may be different from how the regular images are feched.
I know that they all use the same webservice operation though.

glynor, I think I will add this both ways you describe, so JRemote will remember the last zone for each server, but can be overriden by setting a "Use local player as default" or something like that.

pstockton, connecting remotely does work for me. I used a no-ip.com address and set a redirect on the router to the MC machine.
I will do some further experiments tomorrow to see if I can find some possible issues.
Please let me know if you get it working.

BTW, to anyone not able to save settings from the edit server page, please re-add the server. That will fix the problem.

pcstockton

« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2012, 05:44:48 pm »

Thanks LesPaul!

I do have it working now remotely.  I deleted the app and reinstalled (not sure if that was key or not).

But I created/connected via IP address using my actual IP.  So I am not sure how this will work when I get home.

Maybe it doesn't need my local address at all , e.g. 192.168.XXX

Right now "Global Access" is blank.  What should be there is in the "Address".

I will let you know how I get along when I get home.

BRILLIANT app my friend.  So good. 

Deleting PP.......... now!

-Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #328 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »

I just need one thing... A way to set a default zone per-server (or global if you must).  I want to be able to start it up in On This Device mode, so that it can just basically replace the Music App.  Opening JRemote and remembering to switch it to On This Device before just listening to music is too fiddly (especially for my wife).

So, a global option would do.  But, some of my servers (the HTPC or the Video Wall, for example) will never be used in On This Device mode, and JRemote will be used as a remote, so a per-server option would be better.

A default zone per server would be great.

How is it currently set-up?  Will it simply go to the last zone used?  I haven't used it much yet for zones since I was just using it as a remote.  I do use it for multi-zone at a buddy's house with a SB Touch in addition to his PC server.

This brings up a slightly related topic.  How can Zone selection be more ubiquitously incorporated?  How can selecting, and more importantly, determine which zone you are controlling?

This isn't even easy to the novice in MC itself.  While playing Foosball in the man-cave-garage, we have had the ladies change our music then come ask why nothing is playing inside.  Obviously they didn't know to click on "Here" at the top left before selecting something.

Same goes on JRemote.  You must train yourself, before searching for something, to go to Playing Now first and select the zone you are playing in.

I dont think a "Play to Zone XYZ" option while browsing is an answer.

Is there a way to have a persistent "Controlling: XYZ" bar at the bottom of the screen.  Always there in all screens and views?

Just thinking out loud here.

I think something else is needed in addition to something like Default Zones.

Thoughts?

Patrick

AudioBear

• Recent member
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »

I am having the same problem on Windows 7 desktop and iPhone 4s.  I tried manual settings using IP address as well but get the same result.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SOLVED!  ok, I knew I was a dumb@ss but this is embarrassing.  It may help others though so I will put away my shame and share......In Windows 7 firewall, when you open the "Turn Windows Firewall on or Off" window I was overlooking this setting: "Block all connections, Including those in the list of allowed connections list".

It is now working.

Thank You Sven and JimH!

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »

Thanks Lespaul,

the newest changes are really amazing, I absolutely like the app!
But there is a very small new bug in the search view, and only in landscape view: the search bar is too short.

What I'm still missing, is cover art in the search view ...

Really great work, thank you very much,
Bernhard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »

A default zone per server would be great.

How is it currently set-up?  Will it simply go to the last zone used?

Sort-of...

It remembers the most recently used Zone, but only until the App closes itself (if you don't use it for a LONG time, reboot the device, or manually quit it using the Multitasking Tray minuses).  If the app is completely quit, it "forgets" and reverts back to Zone 1 on the server in question.  I'm not sure what happens if you switch around to different Servers, but I bet it "forgets" then too.

That's the problem.  If I was trying to use it to replace the built-in Music app for my wife, the behavior would be inconsistent.  I need a way to set it to default to Play to This Device for her whenever she is connected to our "main server", and to default to "remote control mode" whenever she connects to our HTPC (which probably wouldn't happen much at first, but as she learns she might use it that way too).

pcstockton

« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »

agreed.

There must be a better way to select the zone before doing anything else. 

Even though I know exactly how it works, i just accidentally played an album at home, erasing my lady's current playlist she was listening to.  Oooops.  She called and asked why John Zorn just started playing.  I of course meant to "Play to this device".

Does the app know when you are not on the home network?  If so, when off network it should automatically default to "Play on this device".  That would solve at least one scenario.

Otherwise, I am not sure how to do it but I think zone selection needs to be easier to determine and to select.

The problem is, i certainly don't want to have to select the zone at home when I am simply using it as a remote.

Maybe there is no easy way.....

-Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »

glynor, I think I will add this both ways you describe, so JRemote will remember the last zone for each server, but can be overriden by setting a "Use local player as default" or something like that.

That would work for me, so long as it remembers the last zone on a per-server basis (with the Use Local Player override honored if it is enabled).  That does seem to be what you meant, but just to be sure.

Just tried 2.0 for the first time (from home, no remote use yet).

I tried it out fairly extensively today remotely.  Worked absolutely brilliantly for music playback, even over 3G.  Track changes weren't "gapless" but they were VERY quick and smooth, even when I had somewhat less-than-perfect coverage.  It auto-resumes properly when stopped/paused (and resumes correctly when connected to my car stereo).

All in all, very, very, very good.  I would say it has exceeded my expectations in most ways (particularly when switching tracks).

I did notice a few things though...

Switching Connections (WiFi/3G):

JRemote does seem to get a bit confused when your connection switches from 3G to Wifi (or the reverse).  It doesn't throw an error or anything, but it just stops actually Playing anything (no matter how many times you tap the Play button).

I'm just guessing that it happens when you switch from 3G to Wifi and the reverse, honestly.  In any case, 2-3 times today as I went in and out of my office, it got "confused" and would no longer play anything.  I had to go back and reconnect to the server from the main page to get it to work again (and pick the Zone again).  As I just drove around in my car and switched from cell tower to cell tower, though, it worked perfectly.

EDIT:  To add a little clarity here... When I was coming into work (so my phone was on 3G), playback kept working as I entered the office.  But I noticed that my phone's display never showed the WiFi indicator, and stayed "locked" on 3G.  The "current track" kept playing until it was over.  But, once it ended, Playback just stopped.  I pulled out the phone and hit "Play" again, but nothing happened.  The same thing happened when I was listening to something on the way out of the office.  When I walked out of WiFi range, it kept playing as long as it could, but then it stopped.  Once it stopped, though, you couldn't restart playback without reconnecting to the Server (killing JRemote completely, or going into the Servers list and picking the server and zone again).  The UI remained responsive, but nothing "worked" until I reconnected.

That's fine, and I'd expect it to "error" and stop playing (though if you can switch seamlessly, even better) when switching connections. But, when I hit "Play" again to resume playback, it should fix itself.  It just seems like it needs a connection sanity check: If the device's IP address changes, it needs to "reconnect" on its own and go back to where it was.

Using iCatcher as an example again... When I'm streaming a Podcast in iCatcher at the office via WiFi, and I walk out to the car (out of WiFi range), it will stop playing when it can't get the Wifi signal anymore.  But, I can then pull out the phone and just hit the Play button and it starts back up where it left off.  It would, of course, be better to not even have to pull it out and hit Play again (if it just stopped till it could reconnect and rebuffer), but that's a very small "polish" detail, and if it is difficult, it isn't that big of a deal.

Audiobook Playback:

The behavior isn't ideal for Audiobook playback.  The Track Forward/Back buttons still work as Track Forward/Back buttons.  It would be much more convenient if, when an Audiobook (or Podcast too, I suppose), was playing if these would just switch to "Seek buttons".  I prefer the "30-seconds-ahead, 10-seconds-back" style behavior, but 30/30 would do.  In many cases when I'm listening to an Audiobook, I missed the last sentence or two as my mind wandered, and I need to be able to quickly skip back a few seconds.  The Track Forward/Back buttons aren't useful, and using the scrub bar is too fiddly (especially while driving).

My podcast catcher app (iCatcher) does this, and it is nice.  It even works with my car stereo's steering wheel "remote" (they properly do the 30-sec skips instead of Next/Prev Track).

I'm not sure if you can "detect" the [Media Sub Type] of the files via the Web API, but if so, it would be nice to handle Audiobooks and Podcasts in this way.

EDIT:  I should make it clear, I'm NOT looking for separate 30-second seek buttons (because that would clutter up the UI on the small phone screen).  If you can "tell" that the file playing is an Audiobook, just make the Next/Prev Track buttons act as seek buttons instead.  If the user really wants to switch tracks/files, they can always just hit the back button to see the track listing again.  I find when playing Audiobooks, I never (or very rarely) want to do a "real" Next/Prev Track.  But I want to skip backwards a lot.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

Does the app know when you are not on the home network?  If so, when off network it should automatically default to "Play on this device".  That would solve at least one scenario.

Meh.  Then you couldn't use it as a remote unless you were on the same network as the server.  This is probably not that common in a home-use scenario, but you never know.  People might have their WiFi separate from their internal LAN for security reasons.  Or, maybe they have no home WiFi and just use their 3G connection for Wireless access.  Who knows.  In any case...

Better to use the solution already discussed.  If it remembers the last-used Zone on a per-server basis, and also allows you to set particular Servers to "Default to Play on This Device" mode, then that would cover basically any scenario I can think of totally and completely.

pcstockton

« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »

LesPaul,

Regarding connecting and bugs....

1) I cannot get remote streaming to work with "192.168.1.xxx" as the "Address" and my actual address in the "Global access".  

2) When on the home network "192.168.1.xxx" does work as the "Address"

3) I can only get remote streaming to work with my Global access address in the "Address" as well as "Global" field.

Either way I can make it work, but I figured I would mention it.

Also....

When using multiple zones, stopping or pausing on secondary zones is undone when you re-enter the zone.

Example:
- Start Music in Main Zone
- Start music in Secondary Zone.
- Stop or pause in Secondary Zone
- Go back to Main zone
- When re-entering the Secondary Zone, playback restarts automatically.

Also, as mentioned above by Nick, the app doesn't change the label of the zone you are in when you go to a secondary local zone and back to the main zone.  Art, music and control change but the label says I am in a different zone.

Lastly, linked zones totally threw a wrench in the works.  Not sure if this has anything to do with the newest version or what was mentioned above about needing a stop button.  I linked two zones just for fun.  After I unlinked I was having glitches, screen flashes and strange activity in both linked zones.  I could only remedy by restarting the app AND MC server.

Loving it so far!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

1) I cannot get remote streaming to work with "192.168.1.xxx" as the "Address" and my actual address in the "Global access".  

2) When on the home network "192.168.1.xxx" does work as the "Address"

3) I can only get remote streaming to work with my Global access address in the "Address" as well as "Global" field.

I didn't encounter any of this with my servers, but mine are simpler.

My server has a DNS name that is resolvable/reachable from both inside my home LAN and outside my home LAN properly.  So my "Global access" field is just blank, and my server addresses are fully-qualified domain names.

I did considerable work on my firewall/router to make this work correctly before JRemote was even launched, and so it keeps things simple.

pcstockton

« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:57 pm »

Meh.  Then you couldn't use it as a remote unless you were on the same network as the server. 

I did not mean permanently.  Simply the default.

Better to use the solution already discussed.  If it remembers the last-used Zone on a per-server basis, and also allows you to set particular Servers to "Default to Play on This Device" mode, then that would cover basically any scenario I can think of totally and completely.

Thanks for helping Glynor.

Are you saying I should set-up another server exactly as my main server and call it "Patrick iPhone" or something?  Then set the default zone in JRemote to "Play to this device"?  

I am VERY new to Zones.  I didn't even know I could create a Zone.  I thought Zones were automatically created by JRiver when it sees a DLNA renderer?  But I clearly see I can create one.

You mention "per server".  I only have one server right?  How do you set-up more than one server without running MC on different PCs?

This is a little confusing to me.  How do you set-up multiple servers?

That asked, if two of us are both streaming remotely do we need to use different servers?  Or are our seperate iPhone creating their own remote zones.

I have now totally confused myself with server vs zone.....  My brain hurts.

-Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »

But wait.... if I create multiple servers then our ladies need to remember to connect to the correct server before doing anything.  How is this easier than remembering to set the zone before playing something?

Unless I had a unique server for every possible zone, I will then need to potentially select both the server and the zone every time I use the app??  No?

As you can see I am confused.  Sorry.

Except for needing to delete and reconnect to my server yesterday, I only have to select a new server when I go to a friend's house where I know I need to connect to a new server.  Before streaming was implemented the app automatically made me select a new server because it obviously couldn't connect to my home network.

I cant imagine having to open the app and select a server every time.  This at least has always worked very well.

Unless I am misunderstanding (likely), I would rather simply get into the habit of remembering to select the zone first (with a default in place of course).

That was the reason for my suggestion above.  Assuming most have one server (is that a good assumption?), it would be cool if you could set it to default to "play on this device" when not on home network.  If you wanted to use it as a remote from off network you would simply change to "Home" or whatever.  And when on home network it would default to the "Main Zone".

Thanks!
Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »

I did not mean permanently.  Simply the default.

Thanks for helping Glynor.

Are you saying I should set-up another server exactly as my main server and call it "Patrick iPhone" or something?  Then set the default zone in JRemote to "Play to this device"?  

I am VERY new to Zones.  I didn't even know I could create a Zone.  I thought Zones were automatically created by JRiver when it sees a DLNA renderer?  But I clearly see I can create one.

I'm not sure how you have it set up at home, but I'll explain my setup at home, and maybe it'll be clear.

* My Server is down in the basement.  It is my "man cave" PC, but it is set up as a PC at a desk.  It runs MC in Library Server mode when it boots, and when you close MC it goes back to Library Server mode (via Options -> Startup -> Windows Startup).  This is the server you get to if you go to lan.glynorsnetwork.com, and this is the one I want to basically always use in Play on my Device mode.  I mean, once-in-a-blue-moon maybe I'd want to "Remote Control" the server itself, but rarely (because if I'm sitting there, I'm at a desk, and reaching for my phone won't be more convenient than moving my hand already on the mouse/keyboard).  So, I want this "entry" to default to Play on This Device mode (meaning, it can be changed once you are in JRemote, but it "starts up" in that mode for that Server).

* My HTPC is in the Living room.  It runs MC in Client Mode and connects to the server in the basement.  However, the HTPC also runs it's own server via Options -> Media Network.  (This works best if the clients use a different Port Number, by the way.)  It seems a little counter-intuitive, but you can certainly "serve" a library even from a copy of MC that itself is in client mode.  In my case, MC doesn't run all the time on the HTPC (Options > Startup > Windows Startup is set to Nothing there), but when MC is open, the server exists and works.  The HTPC only has one zone, so remembering the last used mode would work fine.

* Lastly, I have the Video Wall server at the office (among other machines).  It has three different playback zones (two on the wall and one that connects to the projector in our Auditorium).  On that machine, I'll typically JRemote to "remote control" one or more of those zones.  But, occasionally I might still want to Play to the Device (probably not until Video streaming works better, but maybe if I make special iDevice friendly views or something).  In this case, I'd want JRemote to remember whatever zone it was last using on that server.

I could, if I wanted to, also "remote control" the HTPC by connecting to the Server in JRemote instead, and then switching the active Zone to the HTPC's Zone, just like I can "remote control" the HTPC from the server down in the basement.  But that's jumping through a bunch of hoops when there is no need, since JRemote can connect to the Client and control it directly.

So...
I want to set the HTPC entry like this:
Default Zone: Last Used

And the Video Wall Server entry like this:
Default Zone: Last Used

But the Server entry like this:
Default Zone: Play on This Device

I'd originally thought it would be cool if you could pick a default playback Zone explicitly from a list for each server in JRemote.  But on reflection, I don't think that's necessary.  In all of my cases (which seem to run the gamut of possibilities) it would work fine to just remember the last-used mode, and is less confusing.  Plus, there is the issue of what if the Zones change between when JRemote was last run?  If it just "remembers the last used", and that zone disappears, well just go back to the default zone.

But, for my main server, I'll almost never actually use any Zone other than Play to this Device.  It is set up with a mouse and keyboard at a desk, right?  I mean, I suppose if I really want to use JRemote to control the server, I could then just switch it the same way I do it now, and use it in Remote Control mode for that session.  But next time JRemote launches, I want it to go back to Play to this Device mode without having to fiddle with it.  Hence, the override.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2012, 05:31:02 pm »

PS.  Also, yes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't add the same server to JRemote's server list twice, once in Play to This Device mode, and once in Last Used Zone mode.

I probably wouldn't need to because of my setup.  However, if your HTPC is your server, and sometimes you want to play from it, and sometimes you want to control it, then this would be the most convenient method.  Make one "entry" for "Remote Play mode", and one "entry" for "Remote Control mode".  They'd just point to the same IP address or Server key, but the Default Zone control would be set differently.

pcstockton

« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:15 pm »

PS.  Also, yes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't add the same server to JRemote's server list twice, once in Play to This Device mode, and once in Last Used Zone mode.

I probably wouldn't need to because of my setup.  However, if your HTPC is your server, and sometimes you want to play from it, and sometimes you want to control it, then this would be the most convenient method.  Make one "entry" for "Remote Play mode", and one "entry" for "Remote Control mode".  They'd just point to the same IP address or Server key, but the Default Zone control would be set differently.

Aha!!!  I am understanding.  I would create a new server in JRemote NOT in MC.  Making sense.

How would I differentiate between the two?  Can I manually rename the server in JRemote?  Sorry, phone died and is on charger (too much streaming today!!!)

And yes, I only use one server, my HTPC.  I cant imagine using more than one.

To better learn and understand, why would you need to control your HTPC if you serve from the Server which is always on.  I understand you having a separate server for your office PC.  This is the same as my friend's house where I expect to be asked to pick a new server.

I am asking because I am thinking about moving my hard drives to my office (just like your cave), then loading the library on my HTPC.  This way I dont have spinning drives in my HTPC room and dont have to leave it on 24/7.  My office PC is always running.

Would this work for me?

Thanks a ton.
Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:51 pm »

To better learn and understand, why would you need to control your HTPC if you serve from the Server which is always on.

Because JRemote makes a nice remote control.  Particularly for playing music when we're all hanging out playing a game or whatever.  It is a very good "playlist builder/maintainer" for entertaining.

I am asking because I am thinking about moving my hard drives to my office (just like your cave), then loading the library on my HTPC.  This way I dont have spinning drives in my HTPC room and dont have to leave it on 24/7.  My office PC is always running.

Would this work for me?

Yeah.  That's exactly why I moved all of my media to the server in the basement.  The basement PC ("my" PC) was always on anyway.  And I don't care how loud it is, or how many drives it has.  And that way I can shut everything down when we go away (and let the HTPC go into "full sleep mode" while we aren't using it).

The HTPC doesn't have ANY media locally.  It mounts the server's drives as network drives (using matching drive letters).  It doesn't even really have its own Library in MC (well, it does, but only because they make you have a default, I never use it).  It is always in Client mode.

And, the HTPC has a SSD for a C drive, so it is very, very quiet.  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2012, 07:31:11 pm »

How would I differentiate between the two?  Can I manually rename the server in JRemote?

Yeah, you can give them whatever names you want.

pcstockton

« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »

Great, great, great.  I am so very excited and finally feel like I am getting beneath the very thin veneer of just playing (locally) music in a single zone in MC.

I have a couple of other questions for you if you don't mind.  I will gladly mail you a sixer of Oregon's finest (Beer that is... or liquor) if I could either email you or msg you here with a few questions.  I dont want to further derail this thread.

Cheers,
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »

LesPaul!!!!!  You must be kidding me!  YOU RULE!

Spent plenty of time in the car today streaming.  You hijacked the lock screen controls!  So good.

Not only that but playback stops when you remove something from the headphone jack.  Just like with the iPod/Music App.

I am in awe.  I never expected JRemote to work like this.

I am guessing your Airplay integration brought this to the table.  In any case this app is amazing.

3 cheers,
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »

Regarding bugs:

- Getting a few crashes now and then.  No biggie.

- Moving between wifi and 3G can stop playback.  But I think it may be isolated to moving between 3G and wifi that is NOT your home network.  It appears i can move between my home wifi and 3G without issue.

- The Zone "label" not changing when moving between zones may be isolated to being ON the home network.  It seemed to work correctly all day when cruising around.

- When stopping playback in "this device" zone, then going to another zone, then re-entering "this device", JRemote automatically restarts the music.  I dont think I have noticed this with other zones.

Otherwise everything is REALLY working wonderfully.

Thanks again.

-Patrick

PS - do you have a paypal account or something we can donate to for your efforts?  I know we bought the app and all, maybe even turned on a few friends, but some of us might be interested in throwing you a couple of extra bones.  I have NEVER felt the need to give anyone more money for software/apps.  The exception being you and JRiver (via version updates).  I will pay to upgrade MC every chance I get.  I want you guys to have plenty of money.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:54 am »

pstockton, thank you for the nice feedback. I`m glad that you are happy with the app.

All of these features, lock screen, background audio, airplay + metadata is available to any app that plays music/video, but its not automatic. It needs to be added specifically.

There has surfaced a couple of bugs since the release, the two biggest are:
- Zone name not updating correctly
- Playlist not updating after selecting certain options from the push and hold playmode menu.

+ a couple of smaller ones.

I have decided to release a small update later today that fix these bugs, pluss you get selectable streaming quality as I have already added that.
Please note that apple may use up to a week to approve the app.

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #348 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:20 am »

Hi Lespaul,

Will this pending update have anything to resolve my missing covers problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »

lasker98, I`m having a hard time figuring out what the issue may be.
The code for getting the now playing image is identical to the one getting the image for all other thumbnails.

Are there any special configurations on your setup?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up