INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Album field for Images on Import  (Read 1192 times)

monkbroc

• Recent member
Setting Album field for Images on Import
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:56:54 am »

Hi,

From what I understand by reading the forum a lot of the magic from JRiver Media Center comes from properly tagging files. I'd appreciate it if someone could show me an example based on something specific I'm trying to do.

I have a folder with pictures, organized in folders (P:\Pictures\[folder name]\*.jpg). I'd like to use the folder name as the Album name in MC (like the default behavior in Picasa) so that the Images/Albums view in MC shows larger groups than 1 day.

Where do I need to go in the options to have the Album tag filed in on import? What kind of expression (if any) do I need to use (I didn't find a pre-defined tag called Filename (directory) or similar so I assume an expression is necessary)? Are there several ways of setting this up? I'd want to avoid manual tagging at this point since files that will be added in the future won't be tagged.

I read the trick to force the auto-import to run again by deleting the files from the library, then in a smartlist with ~d=r remove the same files again. Then the auto-import will work with the last tag changes I configured. Is this the accepted way of re-running the auto-import?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting Album field for Images on Import
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:00 am »

You can use the MC Library Tool called "Fill tags from filename".  Just select a couple of files and try it.

monkbroc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:07 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

If I use the "Fill tags from filename" then when new pictures are added to the folder structure they won't be tagged the same way as the last time I ran "Fill tags from filename", right? I want to set up something that will fill the tags on auto-import so I don't have to run "Fill tags from filename" every couple days.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »

Set your Auto-Import rule for auto-tagging Images to set the Album field as:

regex([Filename (path)], /#([^\\]+)\\$#/, 1)

Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import

Select the appropriate folder, and Edit.  Add the auto-tagging rule under Apply these tags (optional).

The rule will only run for files imported after this setting has been established; auto-tagging won't occur for existing files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

monkbroc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:34:21 pm »

Great. Thanks for the tip.

Regarding "The rule will only run for files imported after this setting has been established; auto-tagging won't occur for existing files.", that's why I mentioned that I remove the files from the library and then remove them from the deleted list using a smartlist with ~d=r

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »

Yup, you got it.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up