INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restart of MC  (Read 1468 times)

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
Restart of MC
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »

Using MC 17.050.
Playback stops, status windows says "Buffering..."

I hit Stop, nothing happens, I hit Play, still nothing.

I try to restart the application, hitting the top right X, nothing.
Right click - End process nothing. Task Manager - "End process", application still won't go away...

Is it by design that the application can't be killed? I can't recall earlier versions of MC being this difficult to restart.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Restart of MC
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:24:01 pm »

Using MC 17.050.
Playback stops, status windows says "Buffering..."

I hit Stop, nothing happens, I hit Play, still nothing.

I try to restart the application, hitting the top right X, nothing.
Right click - End process nothing. Task Manager - "End process", application still won't go away...

Is it by design that the application can't be killed? I can't recall earlier versions of MC being this difficult to restart.

None of that is normal.  Something is crashing.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »

Are you playing audio ?
You would see this behavior if MC cannot write to the soundcard or DAC. You might be sending unsupported data to the unit.

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:40:40 pm »

audio yes, using WASAPI - Event Style to a USB DAC. It was in a middle of a song. After rebooting I played the same song from the beginning and no hang-up this time.

So you think the kill problem is due to the app being stuck on some IO request in Windows and thus can't be killed?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »

My guess is that it is waiting to timeout and appears unresponsive until then. Another guess - did windows try to shut down your DAC, that is the usb connection to conserve power ?

I once struggled quite a lot with a usb harddrive, it wouldn't be recognized by explorer. I had to change my dual rail low noise super duper powersupply with a noisy standard psu to get it working. Maybe usb power is playing tricks on you ?

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »

not impossible. This is my office setup with a fireye II USB DAC. It's not the greatest, but it has worked OK for a couple of years. Recently I upgraded from MC15 -> MC17 and this buffering issue has happened a couple of times since then. No big deal, but not being able to kill the app is almost more annoying than the occasional playback hickup as it took a reboot today to get back to playing songs again!

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »

One other thing to try, the buffer size in MC17 might be somewhat larger. You could try to adjust it a bit and see what happens  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up