INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charge for in app features?  (Read 3973 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Charge for in app features?
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »

nickba
When do expect to add WebPlay(streaming to device) feature to the app?
Soon:), Will start on it after the next small release. I want the rest of the remote to be solid before implementing.

I just want to reiterate what I said earlier:

You should make this an in-app purchase for a small fee (I'm thinking $3.99ish would be good, but that's up to you).  I know that might not be entirely popular with all of your users, but...  That's a feature perfectly suited to In-App purchasing, because it adds a major new function and component to your app (which will take a bunch of work to develop and support), it really is a bit "out-of-scope" for the original app (which is, after all, called "remote" right in the name), and not everyone will want or need it.

Besides, I want to give you more money.
You should let me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

)p(

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »

You should make this an in-app purchase for a small fee (I'm thinking $3.99ish would be good, but that's up to you).  I know that might not be entirely popular with all of your users, but...  That's a feature perfectly suited to In-App purchasing, because it adds a major new function and component to your app (which will take a bunch

And there is a precedent for that because it is also how the two most popular squeezebox remotes for iPad support playback.

Although I am way more interested in video playback. I hope jriver will soon update their video streaming to support live conversion as good as air video. That would make playback in jremote a killer feature for me.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:56:57 pm »

You should make this an in-app purchase for a small fee (I'm thinking $3.99ish would be good, but that's up to you).  I know that might not be entirely popular with all of your users, but...  That's a feature perfectly suited to In-App purchasing, because it adds a major new function and component to your app (which will take a bunch of work to develop and support), it really is a bit "out-of-scope" for the original app (which is, after all, called "remote" right in the name), and not everyone will want or need it.

Besides, I want to give you more money.
You should let me.

FULLY, 100% agreed.  I have no problem at all paying for quality and support.  None.  This is why we are all here anyway.  We happily pay $50 (+ ~$20 annually) for the best media player around.

I wouldn't mind giving you a few extra duckets either.  This app is so good.

Paying a few bucks so I could delete PlugPlayer and stop posting about WebGizmo sucking ass, would be more than worthwhile.

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

I agree with in app purchases, but NOT for WebPlay feature as it was promised in the beginning of this post and I only bought this app because it would replace the webremote and webplay.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »

I also agree with in-app features. JRemote has the potential to be the best App for Remote control and IOS player. These features may include Photo Viewer, Audio and Video Player.

I hope that you will have the development effort needed.

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:42:49 am »

I agree with in app purchases, but NOT for WebPlay feature as it was promised in the beginning of this post and I only bought this app because it would replace the webremote and webplay.

No nuts.  i will buy it for you.  give me a paypal addy or something.  Really, you would oppose $3?  $3?  I will happily send you $3 for you to support a great product.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

No nuts.  i will buy it for you.  give me a paypal addy or something.  Really, you would oppose $3?  $3?  I will happily send you $3 for you to support a great product.

Like I said it is not about the cost, it is about the listed feature promised for the future. I don't think it is fair, just that.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:45 pm »

Like I said it is not about the cost, it is about the listed feature promised for the future. I don't think it is fair, just that.

Was there a promise that it would be a free feature?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »

Was there a promise that it would be a free feature?

It was a promise that it would be implemented and thats why I bought it. Like I told before, it is not about the price...

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:49 am »

it was promised and will be delivered.  If it isn't about price what are you talking about?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Charge for in app features?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »

it was promised and will be delivered.  If it isn't about price what are you talking about?

Example: you buy a car with a listed feature, but when you buy it, the feature is not ready( suppose it is a bluetooth connection for your Iphone). Just imagine if the manufacturer decides to charge for this feature to deliver a firmware upgrade? I would never buy a car from this manufacturer again...

I just bought the app because the feature was listed. If it was not listed, I would not buy it.
I run a company and if we release a product with a promised feature, we don't charge anything for a future firmware upgrade.

Now if the feature was not promised, then you can charge what you want for it. It is up to the market to accept it or not...

Castius

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »

If it was promised then add it. If you want to donate more to the developed. Then do that as you please.

So this should be pretty easy. However i don't think the software market has kept up with the changes in software development.
The freeware/donate model plus the creation of so many App markets.
Has shown that there is a lot to be learned about the current software business model.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:23 am »

Hi Guys, I appreciate that you want to pay for streaming etc, I really do.

However, there wont be any in-app purchases in JRemote at this time. My main goal with JRemote is to create one of the best remotes out there, not to make more money. I have a day job that takes care of that.

Of course, I would not make an app like this for free, I need some return on the invested hours. Some people feel that the price for JRemote is high, but I can tell you that not even the most positive sale forecasts would begin to make those hours look like a good investment.

An in-app purchase of 2-3 dollars would not really make much difference in the end, and I`m sure quite a few users would be disappointed.

pcstockton

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:46 am »

LOVE you Lespaul.  The app is so good.  Maybe you can make a donation link somewhere for those of us who feel like you have gone above and beyond?

Cheers!
Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »

However, there wont be any in-app purchases in JRemote at this time. My main goal with JRemote is to create one of the best remotes out there, not to make more money. I have a day job that takes care of that.

Of course, I would not make an app like this for free, I need some return on the invested hours. Some people feel that the price for JRemote is high, but I can tell you that not even the most positive sale forecasts would begin to make those hours look like a good investment.

An in-app purchase of 2-3 dollars would not really make much difference in the end, and I`m sure quite a few users would be disappointed.

Fair enough.

I'm going to buy another copy of JRemote for the office here soon anyway.  Thanks again for all you've done here.  It is amazing.  Maybe someday, JRiver will just buy it from you.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »

Great! Now everyone is happy! Thanks!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 07:50:32 pm »

If you change your mind it won't bother me. I'd be happy to pay extra for the streaming feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up