INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Settings for Movies  (Read 8182 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Display Settings for Movies
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »

Maybe look in the manual? Around page 35 where it says display resolutions?!

Looks like there's 2 HDMI modes (PC and DTV). PC mode only supports 59.98(sic), DTV mode does 1080 24,50,59.94,60 as well as a smattering of 1080i

You probably need to find out how to set the HDMI into DTV mode and then may need to reboot windows for it to reload a new EDID over HDMI for the TV. Then the drivers (hopefully) will find the 24p mode. Doesn't look like it supports 23.976 though.

SBR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2012, 10:03:48 pm »

It looks like from the manual that that TV does not support 24 Hz at it's native resolution (1366 x 768), or in 720p mode (1280 x 720).  It does have some sort of weird 24p mode for HDMI content at 1080p, but it is listed as a DTV mode, and the "PC" 1080p mode doesn't list that support.  My guess is that they were pulling something silly to "support" 24p mode, especially since it isn't even a "real" 1080p display.

So, my guess is no.

If your TV does support it (and your video card can do it), it should show up as a refresh rate setting in both MC and in the Windows Displays Control Panel.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickF

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:30 am »

An alternative is to build a custom resolution.  If xplain is using an NVIDIA GPU, it is relatively simple to build a custom resolution with the required refresh rate.  The question is whether the TV would support it.  If it won't do 24 Hz, it might do 48 Hz or 47.952 Hz preferably.  The other alternative in PowerStrip but that is rather more complicated.  A modified EDID file can be created to make the PC 'think' the TV supports the required rate.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:10 am »

Thank you for your replies.

If your TV does support it (and your video card can do it), it should show up as a refresh rate setting in both MC and in the Windows Displays Control Panel.

They do show up in windows display control panel, I can make you a screenshot
when I get home from work.
But they don't in MC.

I can't help think, it's because I dont know enough about this,
and I'm missing something.

Will have a look at it again tonight.

Thomas

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:03 am »

If it won't do 24 Hz, it might do 48 Hz or 47.952 Hz preferably.  

The only refresh rate the manual listed at native resolution (in "PC" mode, whatever that is) in his TV's manual was 59.98 (why it isn't .94 I don't know, but my guess is their timings aren't exact).

They do show up in windows display control panel, I can make you a screenshot

That's curious.  Do they work?

Set it to 24p and see if it works, or if the screen freaks out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickF

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

I wanted to play with these settings, but I must be missing something

I only have these option to choose

?? x ?? x 32 x 59
?? x ?? x 16 x 59
?? x ?? x 32 x 60
?? x ?? x 16 x 60

What am I missing, why don't I have these other options.  I realise the smiley faces are being substituted for your question marks!

Thomas

Thomas,

Where, exactly, are you finding these options?

It is worth unchecking "Hide modes not supported by your display" in Windows Change resolution, Advanced settings, monitor.

Which version of Windows are you running?  XP wasn't very forthcoming about rates other than 59 and 60 as far as I remember.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:15 am »

I have a vague memory of something similar a few months ago. I had display resolutions that came up in the windows dialog, but not in MC. I think there was an update to MC17 a little while after which loaded the display resolutions in a different way and it fixed it, or I may have done a clean install of the nvidia drivers, I can't remember now. I'll have to look back through my old posts .........

A little while later....

Either my memory fails me (not a surprise!) or I can't find a relevant post. It might have been the post about my amp doing silly things with the EDID (which got cured with a firmware update BTW). It was only occasionally reporting 23/24p support and so it was confusing Windows/NVIDIA panel in turn about whether it could actually do 23/24p or not.

Never mind.

Are you running the HDMI direct to TV or via an Amp? My amp was a pain in the backside before the last firmware update (actually still is a pain in the bottom regarding true 23p but that is a different matter altogether!)
SBR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up