INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group By Custom Field Question??  (Read 1202 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Group By Custom Field Question??
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »

Hi

Here is my most used custom field I use for grouping

Replace([Album Artist], ;,/ & ) | [Year] | [Album] Mid(★★★★★,0,[{Album Rating}])If(IsEqual(Right([{Album Rating}],2),.5),☆,)

I was wondering is there away I can re-organise the information to resemble the stock "Album" grouping.. What I mean by that, is I'd like to Keep Album Artist & Album to the left and have Album Rating & Year come from the right..

The only way I can think of doing this is to keep in mind the total number of characters that can fit in from left to right, and somehow use the Length(...) expression that will count the number of characters in Album Artist, Album, Album Rating & year and subtract that from the total number of characters that can appear on the screen which would set the optimum middle spacing.. I'm not sure where to begin...

Another question would how does screen resolution & monitor size affect this, I would want it to be compatible with whatever monitor I plug my computer into without major adjustment..

Doesn't seem worth the effort but if it is possible?? I might just try it..

Thanks

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Group By Custom Field Question??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:25:37 pm »

Since you don't have the width of the window available to you at expression evaluation time, you can't calculate this.  Also, with variable width fonts, the exact spacing required to get right justification would be a rough approximation at best.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

locust

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »

Oh well

Worth a try anyway, take it the stock group by works completely different from anything you can make yourself?

Thanks MrC

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:12 pm »

I'd imagine there is internal code to include and right justify the Date (year) when Album is the Group By field.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up