INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for Streaming Music  (Read 2983 times)

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Recommendation for Streaming Music
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »

I would like to use Media Center to stream volume-balanced songs and playlists from my computer to my speakers in the Kitchen. I would want to be able to skip songs using a remote. I am willing to consider both wired and wireless solutions.  Is anyone aware of hardware to facilitate this that they would recommend?

In the past, I used a decent quality 40 ft RCA cable, a MC remote with USB cable extension cord, along with LM Remote Keymap for my PC. I wasn't thrilled with this setup - the remote was flaky, LM Remote keymap interfered with some features of my keyboard, and the sound quality was only OK.    It was pretty amateurish.  I'm sure I could do the same thing again, but I was hoping you would have some suggestions to improve part or all of this setup.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Recommendation for Streaming Music
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:57 pm »

It sounds like the speakers are un-powered, correct?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »

What equipment do you already have? How much space is available? And the big question: what is your budget?

The cheapest option I can think of would be a $100 android tablet with Gizmo installed and some desktop computer speakers. But there are a lots of better options as your budget increases.

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

I'm currently using an older model BOSE Wave Radio/CD Player for the kitchen speakers.  Space is a concern, but I'm willing to be flexible.  The desktop I've been using provides audio to my gym/den via a creative soundblaster x-fi card, and at the old house, I used the long RCA cable to connect the integrated audio to the kitchen.  (I decided it was more important to have good audio in the den than in the kitchen.)

As far as budget, a lot depends on how much I'm getting for what I spend, but to ballpark, I want to stay under $500.  If I can't, then I'll have to defer this project until later-or stick with the solution I used at the old place.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22:58 am »

Naim UnitiQute, aka Qute.

All in one.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.  I demoed extensively recently.  Almost bought as a pure streamer but decided to save up for the NDX (yes it was that much better).

Dont hesitate.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:32 pm »

I think the Naim breaks the budget?

Consider something like either JRiver's ID ($89, but apparently out of stock?)

or if you want to control directly from the kitchen, something like a Squeezebox Touch ($200) or Radio.  You'll need your PC running the Squeezebox Server software (now called Logitech Media Server).  You'd stream via DLNA here, or use the LMS software and the Touch's / Radio UI controls on the front, so you get the best of both worlds.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:24:44 am »

The Touch is nice... but SHOOT FOR THE STARS.

Save up your duckets, throw is on a credit card, whatever..... 

Naim makes music like NO other.  And ive been through a few well respected brands.

I can only implore that you go find a dealer a listen.  LIVE music captured.  You will find nothing like it.  It is a head turner, foot tapper.

Worth EVERY cent.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Mediahome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »

It looks like you need to sort out whether you want to control a DLNA renderer in your kitchen and "pull" the music from the MC server or control the MC server and "push" the music to your kitchen.

The Naim device that psstockton suggested would be a wonderful DLNA renderer assuming that it has a decent visual DLNA interface and remote. But, at $2500 it is probably a bit of overkill for music in a kitchen.  Teac should be bringing the CR-700 to the States in the next couple of months.  It is similar to the Naim and it should list for something under $1000. But for most people that is probably still a bit expensive for a kitchen zone.

With a "push" zone, getting the music to the kitchen is pretty easy, controlling it is the challenge.  One of my zones takes line level audio out 25' without too much degradation or noise. I have another zone where I send digital coax out of the server using a HiFace, 150' of RG-6 coax, and a FiiO D3 DAC. That gives me a 24/192 zone in my basement office for less than $200. I am not big on wireless but a friend uses the $99 Audioengine W1 to extend a zone wirelessly. Any of these appoaches would give you line level audio that you can plug into the AUX in on your existing Bose unit.

As for control, I think that the best user interface for the money would be running Gizmo on an Android tablet.  In a couple of weeks you should be able to pick up a decent Android tablet for $100 or so.  My wife is getting a Kindle Fire for Xmas and I will load up Gizmo on it so that she can control the MC zone in the kitchen. I wish that the Gizmo UI was more like Theater View in the full MC client but maybe we'll get there soon.

Mediahome

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »

I think the Naim breaks the budget?

Consider something like either JRiver's ID ($89, but apparently out of stock?)

If the JRiver ID was available, that would be my suggestion, paired with a cheap Android device as the remote.
You could substitute the ID with a WD Live Plus, or another extender box that does DLNA, but I haven't used any of them personally so I don't have one to recommend.

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »

I'm really looking to push music to the kitchen, but I am interested other opinions.   I'll take a closer look at android tablets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up